Is an all-inclusive a bad idea for a recovering alcoholic?

Old 05-06-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is an all-inclusive a bad idea for a recovering alcoholic?

Unfortunately our vacation's already booked. I've never thought about it in past years but since my husbands relapse in October I'm thinking it was not the best idea to book an all inclusive vacation. I'm 14 wks pregnant and won't be drinking but it will be so accessible. Am I worrying over nothing?
Old 05-06-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My husband and I refer to them as "Drunk Camp" if that's any indication 😁. I guess it will be a true test!
Old 05-06-2015, 01:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Alcohol is everywhere. I am an RA and I go have lunch and do things with friends all the time. If he is committed to his sobriety and has good recovery going it should not be an issue.
Does he belong to a support group of some kind?
We often advise people in the newcomer to recovery forum to have a plan in place before going to an event or on vacation and also some "exit strategies".
Ultimately, it's up to him to set his own safe guards.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ask your husband his view. I think since you will not be drinking, that is a plus.

One of the SR members with less than a year sober recently relapsed on a cruise. I think it happens so it is something to talk about.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If he has access to nearby AA meetings it shouldn't be a problem. For example, cruise ships routinely have daily meetings scheduled.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yup, check out the availability of "Friends of Bill" at the resort. If there aren't any AT the resort, AA is EVERYWHERE and there are probably community meetings nearby. Intergroup can help locate them.

Have you asked HIM how he feels about going? Have you told him it's OK with you if you plan something different? Here's a thought--would the resort allow a cancellation if he gets a note from a doctor saying he's been advised not to stay there at this time? Maybe they would allow you to postpone it till he's feeling on more solid ground. Just a couple of thoughts.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

He says he'll be fine... we've gone before and he's been fine... I might be worrying for no reason.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think it depends on the person. I know when my X and I went to all inclusives, it was just a big drunk the entire time. However, we were young and dumb. Some alcoholics have more of a problem being around alcohol than others. I would talk to him about it honestly. I would also explain that since you are expecting (congrats!) that it will really help you that he does not drink, something you can do together. I think positive reinforcement can never hurt!

I hope you are able to enjoy your vacation.