Happyish

Old 05-06-2015, 10:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Happyish

There's a new show on Showtime called Happyish. I watched the first one last night. It's about a woman who just initiated NC with her mom and how her mom is always trying to violate her "bubble". The mom isn't an alcoholic but the show is definitely veering off society's concept of the child/parent relationship and it was very good to watch a show that is trying to make sense of a mother that does not love her child, and that adult child's difficulty in finding a response to it. It has some language (just FYI) but it was full of humor, love, difficult decisions, anger - and life. I'm only one episode in, and it may not pan out to be as good as promised but so far, good job Showtime!
Old 05-07-2015, 07:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I watched the pilot just now -- and it's GREAT (although it does hit pretty close to home, since I'm a 52-year-old in the midst of trying to make a career transition into marketing -- which the show suggests is tantamount to suicide). But what does it have to do with parental NC?

T
Old 05-07-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The daughter has just initiated no contact with her mom, at one point in the episode she verbalizes that she told her mother she didn't want to talk to her and that she (the daughter) would reach out to her (the mother) when/if she was ready. But the mother violates the NC by sending a gift to the grandson. By the end of the episode, after talking to her son and her husband, she decides to return to sender - to send a message. Brilliant.