Notices

Frightened of losing everything

Old 05-05-2015, 06:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Frightened of losing everything

Hello. I'm new here. I'm alone and frightened. I have a problem with binge drinking. I fear I may lose my husband and my job. I've quit drinking for years, months at a time. I'm only in my early 30s. A few days ago, I drank so heavily with some co-workers that as we danced around the living room, I smacked their butts and grabbed their breasts. I didn't do it sexually, I know that. I just know. But I fear that I could be charged with sexual harassment or something. I ran out the door crying and apologized the next day, but haven't seen them since. I want to start a healthy life. I suffer terribly from depression and anxiety, but it's worse when I drink. I'm so afraid. Can someone respond to me?
Old 05-05-2015, 06:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! Glad you found the site. There's tons of support here and a lot of great tools to help you on your way.

I also did some seriously stupid things the last time I blacked out, so I feel your pain and know what it's like. It gets better. Just give yourself some time and stick around here for a bit

This is a great post to help get you started thinking about how you can get yourself better:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 05-05-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 05-05-2015, 08:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Many thanks. My anxiety is sky high right now, so I'm having difficulties reading through the resources. I can't keep out the intruding thoughts: "what's the point of getting well, if everyone hates me?"
Old 05-05-2015, 08:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I've done a fair number of things I've deeply regretted after drinking. Like anything, actions have consequences. However, you can change things if you don't drink. If you want support, you came to a great place. Let the dust settle for now. You've apologized and will now have to wait. Just don't keep apologizing because I've found there can be such a thing as too much of that. Show by your future actions that you mean business. And with people from work maybe you need to keep it business only. No socializing with drinks after work.

Hang in there.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There is a point to getting well. Right now you're panicking and afraid. Those things will keep you drinking. Nothing is insurmountable. It only seems that way because you are dealing with fear. Don't let it get to you. Take a deep breath. You can get through this.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello, SC3000, many of us have done regrettable things while under the influence. "This, too, shall pass". It may be just the key to turning things around by giving up alcohol.
I used to have anxiety but it mostly went away when I sobered up. What little I have now is very manageable.
Rest up, try to relax.
Welcome to SR. Its been a real blessing for me.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Scaredykat.

I agree with the others here - you need to work on not drinking again as a primary focus.

D
Old 05-05-2015, 09:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Scaredycat3000 View Post
Many thanks. My anxiety is sky high right now, so I'm having difficulties reading through the resources. I can't keep out the intruding thoughts: "what's the point of getting well, if everyone hates me?"
That's your Alcoholic Voice speaking to you. Ignore it. It will say all sorts of c**p to get you to take the next drink.

The point of getting well is so that you can have a lifetime of serenity and learn to like yourself and have healthy and fulfilling relationships with others in the future (despite what others may or not think of you right at this moment in time). That is there for you if you choose not to drink. One day at a time.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad you are here scardycat....know that you are not alone in this & among friends here.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome,
I to have done very stupid and embarrassing things while drinking. The high anxiety was always highest the day after. Try to take a deep breath and tell yourself you can't change what already happen and worrying about it now doesn't help the situation. What you can do is focus on the future and how you can make sure that this doesn't happen again. You can't get drunk if you don't drink. I hope you feel comfort here. I have found this form very supportive.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

After you stop drinking the memories fade pretty quickly for you and everyone else. They can't fade while we're still drinking because we keep repeating the outrageous and disgusting behaviors and we never know when it will happen next.

Like everyone else, I have done things in blackouts that would make seasoned, hardened alcoholics cringe. I still remember them but they no longer raise my heart rate when they pop into my head. The friends that witnessed my abhorrent behavior don't think about it or ever bring it up now that I'm a transparent, honest, bona fide non-drinker.

I think that addicts do actually get a different kind of forgiveness when we get and stay sober rather than, let's say, someone who assaults people or breaks things, steals, and lies while sober.

I think most people realize that we were really sick and then get better. They know we wouldn't have done those things sober.

When we're sober we often get forgiveness or better yet, a fresh start. It all hinges on 100 percent, lasting, forever sobriety.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi, Welcome to SR.
I found I could no longer go it alone. I tried many times to stay sober and only managed a few weeks at a time. SR is a good recovery site. I started going to AA again only a short time ago, and my life finally seems to be heading in a good direction.

Take Care, and stick around.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome SC3000!
I've produced several volumes
of cringe factors, myself.
But.....
Remember that whatever
happened is now in the past.
You can waste valuable energy
worrying over it or you can utilize
that same energy in a positive manner
towards your recovery. Believe it.
Don't let your AV tell you otherwise.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Many thanks to all... I asked for a response and wow, feels like the first time anyone understands. Thanks for understanding how afraid I am.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello & Welcome SC