Notices

Conflict!!! Need tips...

Old 05-03-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Conflict!!! Need tips...

I've realized lately that my biggest trigger to drink is conflict of ANY kind. I know it's impossible to always avoid, but do you guys have any tips on how to handle it? My blood pressure skyrockets and I go into fight or flight mode instantly. (Learned it during my childhood)

I was yelled at by a complete stranger yesterday (long story) and the first thing I wanted to do was drink!!! :-(

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If it's that bad, I would suggest therapy, Serenidad.

There is no way to avoid conflict other than to walk away, and not engage with the other person. You cannot stop strangers from lashing out but you can see it for what it is - someone who doesn't really affect your life other than at that one moment. If it's a stranger, why was he mad anyway? It's his problem.

Managing your fear is an inside job. I would suggest talking to a professional counselor.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Therapy is one option. Training yourself is another.

Reactions can be chosen. Bimini nailed it right there:

There is no way to avoid conflict other than to walk away, and not engage with the other person. You cannot stop strangers from lashing out but you can see it for what it is - someone who doesn't really affect your life other than at that one moment. If it's a stranger, why was he mad anyway? It's his problem.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The trick is to pick your battles, a stranger saying something to me has no meaning, I can walk away and forget all about them, I don't have to respond or give them any of my time.

When it comes to people closer to home, sure we can't ignore them but again we can choose when to respond and when to let things slide, developing patience and self control are key I think.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

That reminded me of this awesome comedy routine by Louis CK
Getting into Arguments - Video Clip | Comedy Central
Old 05-03-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi.
During my drinking period my emotions ran wild and I was quite undisciplined in how to act and react in many situations. I learned to not react by drinking the anger away but react in a healthy manner instead. Part of this was to not be so sensitive and I wasn’t that important as to what people thought. This growing process is not a flip of a switch and need time to acquire and time to become an automatic response but it works by following the program.

BE WELL
Old 05-03-2015, 01:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I'm a salesman and am (sort of) used to being treated like a piece of s***. I notice that I am more aware of it sober than I was when I was hungover. I now don't waste a millisecond even thinking about someone who is ignorant. I just dismiss them from my thoughts
Old 05-03-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's some excellent advice here Serenidad. You can't avoid conflict - that what we tried to do for years as drinkers.

We can change our reactions to it tho. I used to be almost physically sick with conflict but over time, I've gotten better - it's not my favourite thing, still, but I can take it in my stride now.

I guess the change for me was trying hard to see things in perspective - how important is this this conflict? am I right? if so, can I resolve it without losing my self respect or my beliefs?

If you can't then it's best to walk away - go for a run or a bike ride or something - exercise really helps me calm down.

It's just another life skill to learn. If it really freaks you out tho, I agree that counselling could help.

The one thing that definitely won;t help is booze. You may *feel* like a drink but you don't need to act on it

D
Old 05-03-2015, 03:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

commit DAILY to the code that DRINKING IS NOT AN OPTION. period. EVER. under no circumstances and not for any reason.

then review your own behaviors - it would be a rare thing for a complete stranger to come up and start yelling at you - unless they are mentally unbalanced - like the guy I saw one day in an argument with a dumpster. we often have to learn new skills rather than resort to old FOO survival tactics. aka Fight or Flight.

I too hate conflict.....but I learned over time there are varying degrees of conflict.....some times we need to confront others to stand up for ourselves, other times we get hot headed and engage. we can do NOTHING about the other person, we can only control our own actions.

it does always come back to us.

god grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change what I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The serenity prayer does it for me. Lots of wisdom in those few words.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
saoutchik

You can do it Serenidad
Old 05-03-2015, 07:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
That reminded me of this awesome comedy routine by Louis CK Getting into Arguments - Video Clip | Comedy Central
That's hilarious!!! Thanks for making me laugh!!! And thanks to everyone for your advice! :-)