Notices

Day 2

Old 05-02-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2

I've been drinking for 17 years now. I haven't drank much over the last few years, but have fallen heavily back into the old bad decisions and decided to quit (again). The first time I quit was after a terrible car accident that almost killed me……..I quit that time for about 6 months or so and didn't have any withdrawal symptoms that I recall other than cravings. In January of this year, I realized things had to change in order stay above the ground and I was able to quit for about 80 days. The withdrawals on that one were a bit tougher. About 2 weeks ago, I had a drink on a plane out of town and completely fell off the wagon. I gave it up again on May 1, 2015 (Day 2) and what I"m experiencing now is beyond torture. i.e. extreme anxiety, can't sleep (when I do sleep, it's for a few min's at a time and with bad dreams), wake up covered in sweat, starting to get headaches, can't focus, no desire to do anything productive. I've already been diagnosed with severe anxiety disorders and panic attacks. I'm not sure (except from what I've read) what else to expect, or how long it lasts, but any info from anyone who's had similar experiences would be greatly appreciated. I've failed 2X at quitting totally, but this time, with these withdrawals after only 2 weeks of heavy drinking, makes it a little different for me.

CD
Old 05-02-2015, 02:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi cd - welcome

That definitely sounds like withdrawal to me. Have you considered seeing a Dr?

D
Old 05-02-2015, 02:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum cd!!
Old 05-02-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I went to see a Dr the last time I tried to quit (early February)……the first time I quit, I saw a Dr but not by choice b/c I was airlifted to the hospital after a wreck. At the time, I didn't know anything about these withdrawals and just went in with a book full of vague symptoms knowing that something was wrong. He ordered multiple blood tests, talked to my wife, and referred me to a Hepatologist (blood diseases like liver problems). They couldn't find anything and I got better over the next few months……..much better. But, I couldn't resist the urge. I've always done everything "all or nothing" and this is the first time I've actively talked to someone about it (I'm a Type A, introvert) other than the Dr. That was difficult for me even though it was my wife. But, the night I quit, left me with a feeling that I might die that night and there were some things that I needed to say. Now the symptoms keep getting worse.
Old 05-02-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello & Welcome Cd723
Old 05-02-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're really glad to have you with us cd. Being able to talk things over here - with people who really understood - made a huge difference to me. You're never alone.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you Soberwolf and Hevyn. It certainly does help to talk about this. I've been to hundreds of AA meetings, but have never been for the right reason….and was always drinking either before I got back home or as soon as I got there. The first time I quit was several years ago after a car accident in '08. After a scare in January of this year, I (tried to) quit again. My wife is very supportive and I knew that I needed prolonged abstinence to have a chance at beating this, but I thought that I could get to a point that I could control it. I was proven deadly (no pun intended) wrong over the last 2 weeks. The choice to quit yesterday was mine………hopefully this time it sticks. I've always heard in all those AA meetings that less than 1% of the people that walk through the doors as an alcoholic will completely put the bottle down. They've certainly been right in my case. The fear of these withdrawals, now that I've somewhat educated myself, is absolute mortal fear. In my opinion, the only chance i have is to quit cold turkey as I've (tried to have) done a couple times previously. Yet, it scares the crap out of me knowing this is Day 2 and the worst is yet to come…….and what is described as the most deadly (DT's). Funny thing is, I always thought "DT" should for "De-Tox". LOL.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

The only statistics that really matter are your own cd - for years I was a 100% drinker, now I'm 100% sober.

If you put the effort in, you make it

Again, if you feel unwell, the Dr is the place to go

D
Old 05-02-2015, 05:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Kindling (sedative-hypnotic withdrawal) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is common for binge drinking alcoholics to suffer worse withdrawal symptoms with each episode of cessation.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Imabeluva,

Thanks for the link. I'd never heard of "kindling", but had read up on multiple attempts to abstain and its ramifications. That link will certainly be kept at the forefront of my mind (if it's not too terribly busted at this point……….3rd attempt to quit).
Old 05-02-2015, 05:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If I miss someone's comment or "thank you" that I've seen on here, please don't take it personally. This is my first day on this site and have never done forums. I'm still learning how to do this as well as put the bottle down.

cd