Notices

i need your help

Old 08-22-2004, 08:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
just j

i need your help

I need your help. I am a mother of four and I think i may be an alcoholic. I want to stop but it is gets harder and harder. I need some direction and want to join a group that is trying to stay sober. I am tired and alone.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Jaylyn! Check out the alcoholism forum and the unofficial Alcoholica Anonymous forum here. Lots of people have been where you are and found their way through to the other side. Lots of support here.

((((((Jaylyn))))))) its gonna be allright.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Hello, Jalyn. And welcome to SR. You have come to a great place. I am Laura and I am a gratefully recovering alkie/pothead with six precious months of sobriety. Have you thought about trying AA? It has been a miraculous lifesver for me and MANY other people. Coming to this site is a good beginning, but finding face to face support is even better. If you think you might be an alcoholic, you probably are. But you CAN get sober and be free from the disease. Keep posting, and let us know more about you. Others will be along soon.

Hang in there. Hugs to you--
Old 08-22-2004, 08:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Welcome to SR.

Seems you are already starting off right.
Realized the need to stop and started looking for info and help...and help IS available.
You are not alone. You will find a whole family of friends here.
You may want to seek out AA meetings in your area.
AA has a proven program that works.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
just j

I am scared. I can't just go for help. I am a very responsible mother of four children. I am lost. I don't have the time or support really to join a "group". I don't really know what to do to be honest. J
Old 08-22-2004, 08:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
just j

I am very scared to go to AA because someone may know me.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

(((Jalyln)))

Welcome to Sober Recovery, your no longer alone. You've come to the right place to find support from good people, that understand. I'm an alcoholic and attend AA meetings regularly to help deal with my disease. Some prefer to use other programs as a recovery tool. We can help find that information if interested. As far as you being an alcoholic, that's up to you to decide. Some of what you read may help to determine that. With myself, I started questioning my drinking habits years ago and finally was able to admit to myself, I was indeed an alcoholic. I hope you find the answers your looking for. Good luck...I know that your well being isn't your only concern. You also have the well being of your children as well. Good luck and take care...
Old 08-22-2004, 09:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jalyn
I am scared. I can't just go for help. I am a very responsible mother of four children. I am lost. I don't have the time or support really to join a "group". I don't really know what to do to be honest. J
Scared of what?

Thing is when you get to AA, you will find they don't take account of what side of the tracks a person lives on, what kind of car a person drives and just your first name so they know how to address you to say hellp.
You will also find a room of people who started out feeling just like you feel now. People who understand because they were there.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

Make time. Honestly, I spent alot of time organizing my drinking. If someone recognizes you...so what. You then have met someone who you have something in common with. The details of your children and childcare can be worked out. If your drinking is disrupting your life, it's worth taking the time to attend meetings.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
just j

i just mean that I have huge responsibilies that I have a hard time when it comes to finding time for myself.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
just j

2day...you are right. It is very hard to come out of the closet. J
Old 08-22-2004, 09:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Paused

Aren't you worth the time? Your children will benefit as well. We all have responsibilities, it's a matter of priorities. My sobriety is my number one priority, the rest falls into place. Trust me on that....
Old 08-22-2004, 09:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

were you drinking for someone else? if you apply as much ebergy and time to staying sober as you did dirinking you will achive that end result.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Paused

I remember how difficult it was to look in the mirror and admit that the face staring back at me was an alcoholic. It took years after to finally get the help I needed. Don't waste any more time. Take action right away, the results never change when you continue to drink. :arg:
Old 08-22-2004, 09:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Alcoholism is found to be progressive in nature.

Do you drink more today then you did 6 months ago?
Where would things be 6 months from now of you continue?
At what point do you think drinking would get in the way of those huge responsibilies?

This I know...stopping now and finding the time now will be better then later.
There are many ways/places to seek help. AA is one that I know works when you follow the guidance and wisdom you can gather there.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Paused

Well said Best. I for one could not afford to waste anymore time drinking. For me, it's now or never. I'm thankful I quit when I did. I may not survive the next binge. The progression came up on me quickly, what a cunning disease. I now know I don't ever have to pick up another drink again.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jalyn
i just mean that I have huge responsibilies that I have a hard time when it comes to finding time for myself.
Hi, Jalyn,
I can understand how difficult it is to get to face-to-face meetings. And I can understand your concern about anonymity as well.

Fortunately, there is a lot you can do online. There are forum boards such as this where you can learn about ways to avoid drinking, read about the different recovery options out there, and talk to people who have also been afraid and anxious about their drinking.

You can attend online meetings; there is a schedule of them available through this forum. Some other programs offer online meetings; SMART Recovery has a schedule of online meetings here:
http://www.smartrecovery.org/onlinemeetings.htm

Some online meetings are like chat rooms, while others actually use a computer microphone and you do live chat. You can be truly anonymous at online meetings or on forum boards. When you get more comfortable with sharing with others about your drinking, you may find yourself ready to go to face-to-face meetings. But they are not necessary in order to quit drinking.

Most recovery groups have websites with lots of information about alcohol and substance abuse. Perhaps you can find some time to review them and come back here with your questions. There are folks here who have successfully quit drinking using different methods for understanding their substance abuse and found support in various ways.

Thanks for posting, and don't hesitate to ask for help!
Don S
Old 08-22-2004, 09:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Here's the link to the schedule for online meetings here at SoberRecovery:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...aysprune=&f=59
Old 08-23-2004, 05:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Jalyn--There is no shame in admitting you have a problem and asking for help. What is shameful is knowing you have a problem and not doing anything about it. I agree with Don that starting online is a good idea, and some people can get sober without ever attending a face to face meeting, but there are VERY FEW!!! Other posters have said it, and I will say it too: AA is FULL of people who have experienced the exact same things as you. Anyone in the meetings who recognizes you will NOT judge you. They will want to help you. I stayed away from AA for a long time for just the reasons you have stated. Now I wonder why I waited so long. I wasted a lot of time wallowing in my pride, not asking for help.

You have made a GREAT start by coming to this site. Take it one day at a time and try not to get too down on yourself!!!

--
Old 08-23-2004, 06:05 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi Jayln and welcome!

You will find a great deal of support here. It's okay to ask for help, we've been there, and underdstand. Please visit our Alcoholism and AA forums, you have many choices to choose from in finding a program that best suites you. Keep coming back!