Notices

New here (sort of) just oficially joined

Old 04-30-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lce

New here (sort of) just oficially joined

I have been reading this forum for about 2 years. For 9 months of that I was sober👶 due to being pregnant. After my daughter was born, I was decent at moderating. That moderation has slowly been slipping away. I'll go for a few days with a drink then out of nowhere something social will come up and my 2 drinks will turn into 7. Then I will feel like death warmed over with a side of awful anxiety the next day which makes me a worthless mom and homemaker. I need to just realize that drinking isn't an option for me.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I was also pretty good at drinking in moderation, until I wasn't. It's hard to face but glad you officially decided to sign up! This site has been a huge help for me and hopefully it will be for you too
Old 04-30-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
lce

Today is day 1. I'm in bed so I'm safe. This weekend I'm going to a church retreat so safe there too. The first test will be at a horse racing event next week.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Ice - I'm so glad you decided to post. You're in good company - we all understand the way you're feeling, and we want to help.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well at least you have a few days to sort yourself out before the big challenge.
And if it's too big and you can skip it, just don't go. There's nothing more important than you and your health right now.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on making the decision to quit.
What will you say to friends at the horse race who offer you a drink?
Old 04-30-2015, 07:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!! I also lurked for quite a while, but finally joining made a big difference. I guess it was the comfort of knowing I wasn't alone when people responded to me?

Please do keep reading and posting, there is a ton of support here and many people who know exactly what you are going through.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-30-2015, 07:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Welcome Ice!
I came to a place where I realized drinking wasn't an option for me, either. I had to change the way I thought about drinking and realize that nothing good was coming from it, in fact quite the opposite. Becoming involved on SR helped me see there was another way to live.....free of regrets and free of the anxiety and shame that accompanied my drinking. The support here is awesome! You've made an excellent decision to reclaim your life!
Old 04-30-2015, 09:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
lce

Wow. Thank y'all!! As far as my answer when my friends offer a drink, I'll say I'll grab one later or I'm driving. My friends aren't big drink pushers. I really did most of mine at night after I put the girls down. But their bedtimes got increasingly earlier as I was looking for my toddy. I would go to these social things then finish the night off at home with a few (or more) night caps. My husband would be drinking a few glasses of water to rehydrate and I would be sneaking shots of tequila. Insanity. What's crazy is that through both my pregnancies I had no cravings. That's what makes me feel crazy bc I know I can do it. Why don't I?
Old 05-01-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Ice!!
Old 05-01-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Ice

I'm a man so I've never been pregnant...but if you're like me you have a strong sense of responsibility - you knew your baby's well being depended on the choices you made.

the thing about recovery is learning that the same applies to us too - our well-being depends on the choices we make.

Love yourself like you love your child., You're worth it.

D
Old 05-03-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
lce

Today is day 4! I made through the weekend pretty easily bc I was on a church retreat. I had a blast being sober and having quality sober fellowship with fabulous people. I'm back home now. Slightly tempted but ok. I lost a couple of pounds and feel a lot better. That's what's keeping me behaving today...vanity. I know that can't work long term. But it is in this moment. Tomorrow I plan to take kids to zoo and gymnastics. Need to find a plan for tomorrow night after kiddo go to bed.