Notices

First day

Old 04-30-2015, 03:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First day

Hi guys,

Please feel free to give me links to threads etc but there is so much info I just thought I would jump in and start my own.

Over the last 5 years (besides when pregnant ) I have drank wine believing I need it etc .

The last 2 months it's become a problem because it's always I. My mind .

Where and how is the best place to start
Old 04-30-2015, 03:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Need,

That's the best way I reckon, jump in :-)

I'm newly sober and I found it helpful to make a list of why I want to stay stopped. I also have a recovery plan in place in that I go to AA and am active here. This is a great place to have look round and join in :-)
Old 04-30-2015, 03:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you!

Great idea to write a plan. I think I will do up a list of what to do when I feel like a drink .

I am ready for bed (night here) but will check in 2mor! Friends birthday so need to say no
Old 04-30-2015, 03:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by needtobeme View Post
Thank you!

Great idea to write a plan. I think I will do up a list of what to do when I feel like a drink .

I am ready for bed (night here) but will check in 2mor! Friends birthday so need to say no
Hopefully my link will work, but it's the recovery plan link that's a "sticky" on the Newcomers forum. It's really good :-)
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5296889

With your friend's birthday, protect your sobriety. If you have to go, then get a soft drink in your hand and in my experience, remain firm, keep distracted and take some time out if you need to!
Old 04-30-2015, 04:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi.
Most here have different starting points, some can accomplish not drinking the first time and others can go and keep “trying” until death and anywhere in between. For me it was getting honest with myself about my drinking and where it was headed. THEN ACCEPTING the fact that I cannot drink in safety one day at a time in a row.

Reading posts on this site can make one aware of the things we need to do along with attending meetings which have helped millions achieve sobriety for around 80 years.

Make no mistake it’s work and requires changes to achieve sobriety, the results are outstandingly positive.

BE WELL
Old 04-30-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR needtobeme. You are one smart cookie, recognising a problem that is just two months in development -- it took me nearly 40 years to realise that. SR can support you through this.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Needtobeme!!
Old 04-30-2015, 03:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone. Once I got off the forum I went and poured a drink.

Its a brand new day and I have written out my plan and told my friend I wont be drinking at lunch but will celebrate with a lovely piece of cake with her.

Small steps.

Then tonight we are going out to my MIL for a celebration dinner but I will be driving so that makes it easier to say no as I dont like driving my beautiful boy if i have had a drink.

I want to stop the pattern earlier as my father has always been drunk ever since I remember. And I dont want that to be my son view of me and I dont want it to be the view of myself.

Let day one begin
Old 04-30-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome!

It sounds like you're off to a good start. Having a plan and a good reason motivating you are very important.

I'm only on day 2, so I'm there with you!
Old 04-30-2015, 11:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

First hurdle jumped said no to the glass of bubbles and feel proud! Now to keep this up
Old 05-01-2015, 12:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by needtobeme View Post
First hurdle jumped said no to the glass of bubbles and feel proud! Now to keep this up
You're off to a great start. Keep reading and always ask for support :-)