Notices

Withdrawal

Old 04-29-2015, 04:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawal

Ok so I am wanting to quit alcohol, but I used the internet to do searches and now I am worried immensely about withdrawal. I do not want to go to a doctor as I don't want this in my health record (does that show up??)
I have been drinking heavily for about 2 1/2 yrs. I have had a few sober days but pretty much every day. I live alone and am giving myself anxiety over having DTs and dying by myself. Am I at risk for DTs?
I know I have damaged my body. For the first time in my life I have hypertension- I used to have borderline low BP. My urine smells weird, but no blood, and I pretty much have constant diarrhea (TMI Maybe). Oh the sweats, whoa. I haven't had a drink since 10pm last night. My stomach is bloated but I was able to keep food in me today. Do I taper? Cold turkey?
Thanks in advance
Old 04-29-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Julesonya nice to meet you Abstinence is the best route by far

If you can book a Dr apt first thing in the morning and let them know you will get help with meds that are specifically for WD

if you dont want to go Dr you can detox at a hospital to be on the safe side & eliminate any worry

Nice to meet you welcome aboard
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Julesonya

we can't give you medical advice here, and even if we could there's just no way any of us could guarantee you you'll be fine or not.

If you're concerned, I really think the best thing to do is see a Dr. It's the all round safest option

D
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. You should check with a Dr regarding a medical detox. I personally wouldn't do it on my own, it's too dangerous during the first 3 days.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Do you see a general practioner? A psychiatrist?
Old 04-29-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Julesonya,
Your doctor can not disclose any of your medical record or history with out your written approval. Its called HIPPA which also protects you from the people that are taking care of you, if you do detox in a hospital. So even if someone that you went to school with or even a neighbor is your healthcare provider they can disclose no information about you. You should without a question seek medical advisement and talk about your options with your MD. Working some years in a hospital setting I can tell you that not only would you not be the first person the hospital has seen for this but you won't even be the only on in the hospital detoxing at the same time. There is a protocol that is followed very closely to insure that you are safe.
If it makes you feel any better, this healthcare provider has issues with alcohol and its something I'm battling using as many resources as possible.
My thoughts will be with you, please keep all of us posted on your recovery.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Withdrawal

I did it cold turkey .At 33 days today.
It felt ******* awful chills fever, diarrhea. Sorry trying to be accurate.
Took me two weeks for the Shakes and night Sweats to stop. Had bad panic attacks and was feeling like over ripe fruit . If you can get medical help I would suggest it. I had no insurance till the 1st and did not realize how bad I would feel . It sucked . Now I feel way better . Going to meetings and working a lot . Good luck with your sobriety .
Neil
Old 04-29-2015, 05:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Neil

D
Old 04-29-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You'll want to see a GP for sure. You'll be given medication with a taper schedule. You're vital signs will be monitored closely, if you chose in-patient detox.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

And the GP can be outpatient care correct? I am debating between that &a 5 day detox. This is so horrifying. I keep trying to figure out when my drinking became this way.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Getting medical help is important to get safely thru detox.

Welcome to the family!
Old 04-29-2015, 05:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by julesonya View Post
And the GP can be outpatient care correct? I am debating between that &a 5 day detox. This is so horrifying. I keep trying to figure out when my drinking became this way.
There are too many variables. Everyone's situation is different. It will depend on your Dr too. I chose in-patient, because detoxing cold turkey can be dangerous.

Detoxing is scary at first, but once you're on the other side of the intial WDs, you'll feel so much better - I promise. And the benefits of sobriety just keeps coming as time goes on.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Giving up drinking is serious business. I myself was a very heavy, daily drinker - drank vodka every day, started in the mornings and passed out frequently. I tried to quit cold turkey and had withdrawal seizures. My situation is probably on the extreme end of things, but I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

I ended up going to medical detox. Couldn't believe I had got to that point either, it's just amazing how it sneaks up on you, and suddenly you're in a detox center thinking "how did this happen?" That said, I'd recommend it to anyone who's serious about getting sober. Take the risk out of your hands and get into a safe environment. I personally don't like the idea of tapering on your own, many don't find it effective. Just my .02. Good luck.

PS - don't let the fact that we're suggesting a doctor visit scare you away from sobriety. It's a wonderful world out here in SoberLand. Just take care of yourself on the front end here and we'll be here when you get out.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post

PS - don't let the fact that we're suggesting a doctor visit scare you away from sobriety. It's a wonderful world out here in SoberLand. Just take care of yourself on the front end here and we'll be here when you get out.
I completely agree, we are in no way wanting to discourage you, we want to make sure that you are safe. I've only just started with SR and it feels so much like a family already.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Everyone's body is different, so as others have said, best to talk with a doctor about it first.

I've been a heavy, all day everyday drinker for 13 years, and I've found I can get through the first 3 days of detox on my own without much of an issue. It can and has been bad before, but I find if I take the necessary steps, then I go without virtually any withdrawals, or only minor ones (sweats, etc).

However, that's just me, and definitely not everyone, as I know what works for my body. As others stated, doctor visit would be best.

It all depends on too many factors. How much & long you drank, age, weight, diet, stress level, DNA, pre-existing conditions, and more.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was concerned doctors would judge me for being in withdrawal/whatever. I finally got the courage, and it makes withdrawal go from absolute pure hell to just being a little tired. (at least it did for me.) In the states the retail value of the detox drug they give you is like $4. I didn't even use my insurance. I have done outpatient way too many times to count unfortunately... I'm in day 2 of withdrawal right now for the last time.

Withdrawal can kill you no doubt, and is very dangerous. It's put me in the ER... Would I have survived? Probably, but you do only live once and I didn't want that to be my last day on Earth.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Withdrawl can be fatal.

Last edited by lynnns0000; 04-29-2015 at 10:47 PM. Reason: word misspelled
Old 04-29-2015, 11:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by julesonya View Post
Ok so I am wanting to quit alcohol, but I used the internet to do searches and now I am worried immensely about withdrawal. I do not want to go to a doctor as I don't want this in my health record (does that show up??) I have been drinking heavily for about 2 1/2 yrs. I have had a few sober days but pretty much every day. I live alone and am giving myself anxiety over having DTs and dying by myself. Am I at risk for DTs? I know I have damaged my body. For the first time in my life I have hypertension- I used to have borderline low BP. My urine smells weird, but no blood, and I pretty much have constant diarrhea (TMI Maybe). Oh the sweats, whoa. I haven't had a drink since 10pm last night. My stomach is bloated but I was able to keep food in me today. Do I taper? Cold turkey? Thanks in advance
Hi there JS, others have said it better than I ever could. See your doctor first. I did the cold turkey thing. I would not recommend that. You can die. I really didn't know how lucky I was to come out the other side alive. I am not sure what you consider as heavy drinking? You can check out my thread, a sort of journal from day one of what I went through. I can tell you this, the convulsions/seizures are no laughing matter. You can suffer mini/mild strokes. Heart attacks are also possible. I didn't know this at the time. Rather go get the meds if you want to go this way. And never ever do it alone.

I did think of tapering, but by then I was already in the CT, so it wasn't really an option. I think tapering is just prolonging the inevitable. No-one can tell you what you're at risk of. Whether you will get some or all of the symptoms depends on your makeup, drinking habits etc. Have a squiz at this link, it might give you some insight and convince you that the symptoms of withdrawal are no joke. It also has info on tapering, like I said earlier, I was already into CT when I found it. http://www.hamsnetwork.org/taper/

Be safe and be strong.

Cheers,

ZAB
Old 04-29-2015, 11:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Oh man, I can relate to the anxiety about withdrawals. Obviously the feelings of anxiety don't help the situation!

Try not to freak yourself out. The internet medical stuff is enough to scare anyone. What I'd recommend is talking to your doctor. My doctor was cool and just said that I'd be okay to just stop but would feel rough for a while. I also got referred to a therapist which was good.

Once you're through it, it's done and you don't need to go through withdrawals again :-)
Old 04-30-2015, 12:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am hoping to stop drinking and found the courage to speak to my Dr and I asked for medication to help but was refused, she said that new guidelines advise not to prescribe it to people that live alone, detox in hospital isn't an option in UK as far as I know unless paid for, which I can't afford.
So what do I do?