Pottery as Therapy - Stress Relief

Old 04-28-2015, 10:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pottery as Therapy - Stress Relief

Pottery as Therapy: A Workshop to Revive Skills
By BARBARA DELATINER

EAST SETAUKET— IF Dr. Janet Gonzalez had her way, she would never get her fingers dirty, even in a pottery class. But she was working on a wall plant holder, and that required her to wet her fingers, then press two slabs of clay together.
Encouraged by her instructor, Cliff Petterson, Dr. Gonzalez persevered. She finally fastened the edges, put the pot aside for the kiln and went on to paint the piece she had made at the previous class, still complaining about ''all that dirt.''
Still, ''it's something to do rather than just sit at home,'' Dr. Gonzalez, 40, admitted haltingly. One of four physically challenged students in this class at the Hands on Clay pottery studio here, Dr. Gonzalez, an internist, was severely injured in a car accident four years ago. On this day, she may have been a reluctant potter, but she was also a satisfied one. ''See, I got it done,'' she proudly told her coach.

When Hands on Clay opened in March, it was touted as the first pottery studio in New York State for physically challenged adults and children. More than a dozen people who are paralyzed or amputees, have spina bifida, cerebral palsy or visual impairments, or are recovering from strokes, heart attacks or trauma regularly attend weekly classes.

Some are clients of the Long Island Head Injury Association and live in its group residences in St. James and Fort Salonga. Others are patients at St. Charles Hospital and Rehabilitation Center. The studio, founded by Randy Blume of Port Jefferson, offers classes and workshops for the public as well.

The notion that working in ceramics could be therapeutic evolved gradually from Ms. Blume's own experiences. She did not start out to be a potter; in fact, when she first tried her hand at pottery during her college days, she ''couldn't get the hang of it,'' she said. ''Working the wheel was just beyond me.''

A fine-arts major at Queens College, she dropped the pottery class. After graduation, she worked as an art and recreational therapist and activities director at nursing homes and centers for the elderly and for handicapped children.

But 21 years ago, when Ms. Blume, now 50, moved to the Island with her family, she returned to pottery, taking an adult education course at the Craft Union at the State University at Stony Brook.
''It was a time of stress for me,'' she recalled.

''And suddenly I found that not only was I able to finally master the wheel, but that I fell in love with it. Focusing on a piece of clay blocked out everything else in my life.''

She began teaching pottery at the Craft Union. About six years ago, a student, Martin H. Mandelbaum, who owns a prosthetics service company in Port Jefferson, asked if she could teach young amputees in her basement studio. The arrangement fit into her theory about working with clay.

''I realized that when you focus just on the clay, you're distracted from your problems, especially if you're in distress,'' she said. ''Best of all, clay is magical. There is no right or wrong. Whatever you produce helps increase a feeling of self worth.''

Using some specially designed and fabricated devices that Mr. Mandelbaum provided, and equipment like wheels modified for use by small children and spina bifida patients, the program quickly caught on, Ms. Blume said. Expanded to serve adults as well, it soon outgrew Ms. Blume's basement. With financial aid from St. Charles and a $5,000 grant from Suffolk County, she built the new Hands on Clay Studio and Gallery, which is completely accessible to wheelchairs.

Like Dr. Gonzalez, the three other students at work that day had suffered traumatic brain injuries. The ceramic work helps all of them in their cognitive rehabilitation, said Dan Fuhrmann, the recreational coordinator for the Head Injury Association. ''It's therapy without them trying, increasing their thought and motor skills,'' he said. ''And it's great for socialization.''

Laura Leach, 28, had completed her third year as a visual arts student at the State University at Purchase when she was injured in a car accident six years ago.

''It left her with severe balance and coordination deficits,'' said her mother, Barbara Leach, who brings her to the studio from their home in Huntington. ''But in the two years she's been working with Randy, I've seen her hand coordination improve significantly. Even her writing skills are better. And her frustration level is better, too. She has more patience and is able to endure situations better.''
Painting the pinch pots she had made the week before, Laura Leach explained: ''I'm an artist at heart. It's so quiet here. I can concentrate, relax.''

The quiet she welcomed was frequently shattered by Chris Brennan, the most outgoing, vociferous member of the quartet. Now 31, Mr. Brennan was a computer programmer when his motorcycle crashed two years ago. He kept his colleagues entertained with a steady, teasing patter, most of which centered on the flower holder he had been making.

''This work helps me get in touch with the inner child in me, helps me get in touch with my creative flow,'' he said. ''I'm talented on the wheel, and I love to paint the pieces.''

Damma Ford, 43, had been a hospital administrator before her car accident. She can't recall how long ago it happened. Looking quizzical when she discovered that the tray she made last week was ''just to put on the wall and look at,'' Ms. Ford turned to putting the finishing touches on a pumpkin pinch pot. ''This I like,'' she said. ''If you ever need a painted pumpkin, let me know.''
Old 04-29-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Allfor I think that lady lives near me.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

making pottery is actually very relaxing and allows you to be express yourself. We have a little place near us where you can go in and pick a project and then make it with help, and it takes a couple hours.

My son (3) -- we went to a birthday party recently and the mother had a whole table set up of air dry clay, and the kids (and a few adults) made things out of the clay. Once they air dry, then they can be painted, etc. My son and I each made something, then later at home we painted them. There is also a sense of accomplishment I think, and especially if you are going through a tough time in life.. something small like this can make you step out of yourself and just be creative and relax.

You should check out the pottery place near you with your daughter sometime.