New format, ads, etc.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New format, ads, etc.

I've been very upset for several days about the changes to the SR site, most specifically about the ads in the bar on the right and some of the content linked to from the headings at the top of the page. I had assumed that SR was a nonprofit organization providing a service and I was horrified that my "safe place" had been invaded in this way. I felt as if I'd gone to a meeting and found the Serenity Prayer was being replaced w/a McDonald's ad.

I was upset that I had no notice that this was happening and I was upset that, if finances were an issue, we had not been given any choices about how to solve the problem, such as voluntary donations or paid/ad-free membership for those who choose it versus free/with ads membership for those who don't care about the ads.

Eventually I've learned that SR is owned by a company called Internet Brands. Knowing that it's a for-profit corporate type of entity, I have a whole different view of the situation. While I still don't like it ONE LITTLE BIT, at least I have the info.

This information is in the Tech section, a part of the forum I've never visited before. Here is the link to the Tech section. The thread(s) relating to the changes should be easy enough to find:
Technical Issues - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

I am linking to the entire Tech section b/c an earlier post I made was pulled when I linked only to the New Format thread. Hopefully this will avoid the appearance of bias which was the basis for pulling my previous thread.

I hope this sheds light on how it works for anyone who's wondering. It was an eye-opener for me, although I think I may be more naive than most....
Old 04-25-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Honeypig....thanks for posting the link. I think it is good to know that there is a place for those who want to express their opinions or have an open dialogue.

I know, for sure, that we won't all agree with each other.....but, at least we can discuss and have our voices heard....

dandylion
Old 04-25-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

But why do the ads bother you? I think it's very important to offer this venue for free. It's the people here that matter, not some big, cold, uncaring corporation. I'm just mad you can't "thank" someone from the mobile site.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

SR has given us a lot of information on the changes that they were going to do. Someone needs to let us keep this forum alive, if it's ads, let it be so! Nothing is free today......

Grateful SR is still up and running!!!
Old 04-25-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
SR has given us a lot of information on the changes that they were going to do. Someone needs to let us keep this forum alive, if it's ads, let it be so! Nothing is free today......

THANKS Sugarbear! lol
Old 04-25-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Removed--I don't want to start another long discussion on this topic, only wanted to post the info for anyone wondering. Refiner, I PM'd you the answer to your question.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post

Sugarbear, the ads are NOT to keep the site up and running. The ads are to generate profit. .
Old 04-25-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Honey pig sry u missed it but there was plenty of "warning". Sry it bothers you too but the site serves many including those needing rehab, a way to finance rehab, and yes... Even those that want to reduce their beer bellies. It's capitalism at its finest!
Old 04-25-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Some of the articles on the newer front page are really good. The front page has ads for quite awhile and rehab heavy.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
Sugarbear, the ads are not to keep the site up and running. The ads are to generate profit. If funds were actually needed to keep the site alive, I would gladly donate, as would many others, I'm sure. But that's not what it's about.
HP I respectfully disagree. Of course the bought advertising also pays for keeping this site up and running and I'm glad u r financially able to gladly pay your own $ to keep it up and running but many here are not as fortunate as you know.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Refiner, I've covered all this multiple times in other posts in other threads. As I said, I answered your question in a PM. This post was to let people know where to go if they had comments or wondered what was up.

I'm glad you have no problems with "capitalism at its finest" on your recovery site. Clearly you are more flexible than I.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I found that if you enlarge the font, the sidebar, disappears.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
p***enger

For anyone interested in the issue of the economics of recovery, I've started another thread, originally in Newcomers, although it immediately got moved to Alcoholism on the grounds that it was an "outside issue" to the newcomer experience, which I (kind of) understand. Here's the link: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5337040

I think this is an important question for open discussion, including among members who mostly post to Family & Friends. I believe that family members often end up bearing a lot of the cost of treatment for their loved ones who suffer from addiction, and I hope there will be a lively discussion.

I think all of us who are active on the forums are very grateful that we have this niche on SR to express our experiences and seek help. The issue of commercialization is much wider than SR. I appreciate the point of view of everyone who is simply grateful for this forum and their own recovery, however it is paid for.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A work in progress

This is one of those issues on which reasonable minds can, and do, differ. I understand people who are upset about it, and also those for whom it's no big deal.

I guess I'm sort of in the middle--not happy about it, but not especially distraught, either.

The thing is, however much we think of this place as "ours" it never really was. It's sort of like having your favorite store, TV program, restaurant, or whatever, change in a way that kind of takes away some of your enjoyment and appreciation of it.

That's part of why AA and Al-Anon have autonomous groups, where very, very few "rules" govern them. About the only thing is to have no outside affiliation. Period. Everything else is pretty much optional. AA and Al-Anon don't shut groups down for violating the Traditions or anything else. Of course, people complain about that, too, when a sexual predator or other unpleasant things enter within the group, and AA or Al-Anon as an Organization doesn't do anything about it.

One of the sayings about starting a new AA group is that all that's required are two alcoholics, a coffee pot, and a resentment. That's pretty much true.

So the new forum look is one of those "life on life's terms" things that one has to accept. You don't have to stay (and I'm not directing this at any particular "you"), you don't have to like it, but it is what it is. Personally, I think the good far outweighs the bad--ads and all--so I'm not going anywhere.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Honeypig i totally agree with you. I am a capitalist but some things should not be capitalized on.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amy55 View Post
I found that if you enlarge the font, the sidebar, disappears.
Thanks for this tip, amy!! I dislike the sidebar and its links equally as much as the ads, so this is very helpful.

I found another tip from a member who suggested downloading an ad blocker to get rid of the ads, which I did.

I know it's just "out of sight, out of mind", but that's the best I can do in this situation, I believe.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I dislike discussion about this. But, hey, that's just me.

Only problem with enlarging the font, is sometimes you need to scroll over if someone posts large pics, because you might lose some of it. I don't know how well this works with smart phones, cause I don't have one, got that old dinosaur flip phone still.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
Refiner, I've covered all this multiple times in other posts in other threads. As I said, I answered your question in a PM. This post was to let people know where to go if they had comments or wondered what was up.

I'm glad you have no problems with "capitalism at its finest" on your recovery site. Clearly you are more flexible than I.
I was responding to the wrong info you were giving Sugarbear in that post. And I guess you can't recognize sarcasm. Oh well, that's all I have to say about this subject, have a nice day!
Old 04-25-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The only place I would see a conflict of interest would be if people were to start pushing "For Profit" recovery centers and programs on people who are posting here. Many of those who are posting on Friends and Family are in a pretty vulnerable place, and would be willing to do just about anything to save their loved ones.

One of the things I appreciate about SR is that the people who run this place are very good at keeping that from happening.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A work in progress

HP is right, it IS to make a profit. The advertisers who pay to be "featured" on SR pay far more than what it costs to operate the forum. I don't believe that the forum would disappear if they were not posting ads on the forum itself (unless the owners made that business decision). The forum has operated for over a decade without having to post ads. I believe (and I don't have any "inside information" so this is informed speculation on my part) that the ads were placed ON the forum to boost revenue. That is what for-profit companies do. They exist to make money--pharmaceutical companies, companies that make lifesaving medical equipment, many hospitals, doctors' offices, and other places. They do good, lifesaving things, but maybe if there weren't any money in it, they would be off selling the latest toys or jewelry or whatever luxury items you want to name.

You can debate whether capitalism is a good thing or not, but it exists, and it affects how businesses (including websites) are run.

So no, I don't think the ads HAVE to be where they are to support the forum. But someone made a business judgment that the company that runs the forum would benefit by putting them there. *shrug* I don't like a lot of business decisions. The point, to me, is that it isn't personal, and I don't believe there is any great harm from it.