Naltoexone thoughts?

Old 08-21-2004, 07:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Naltoexone thoughts?

Hi all,
I have been married to my AH for about 8 years but have known him for almost 25 years. In the back of my mind, I have always known that he has had a drinking problem but for the longest time I thought, he can control it and plus our social life is and has evolved around a "party"
Last year, I realized that something had to change, he was getting worse and worse, drank more and more. (now up to a case of beer a day) I started reading all I could and through all that I have learned that alcoholics have a disease and it doesn't get better with out help.
He knows he has a problem. Last year I finally got him to go to the doctor. He not only has the first sign of Liver disease but also diagnosed with indigenous (sp) depression. (malfunction in his brain, he was depressed as a child) Now, he is supposed to take Celexa and stop drinking. But has he? no. He was so much better when taking celexa, not so dark and didn't drink half as much. Now, he is out of medication and won't go back to the doctor. Big denile, don't you think?

He was especially bad today. He has crazy thoughts in his head, like I'm having an affair (Not!) and that I won't have sex (how can I, he's passed out most of the time) and plus he didn't want me to stay at the house and proceeded to lock me out while I was outside. (little did he know, I had prepared for this and had an extra key outside) Now, I'm upstairs and he is passed out ANd probably won't remember a thing except his mood will still be dark because of no celexa.
My gosh, I'm sorry about my rambling. I just have so much to say and am happy to just start typing my thoughts. Just to let you know too, that up until a few months ago, I would have been very upset about todays happenings but because of my readings I have finally learned to detatch. And it didnt' come suddenly. It was very strange. A few weeks ago after an "episode" I left the house because I had had it but after I left, I didn't cry, feel bad or anything I felt calm. I finally felt detatched. Like today. My stomach wasn't in knots, I didn't cry, I just said here we go again.

Okay, now to my question. During my reseach today I found a detox center that uses naltoexone. Which decreases the desire in the brain to drink alcohol. Has anyone had any experience in this drug? I am willing to do anything I can for my AH. And once he gets through this episode he will hopefully want to talk about it and agree to get help.
And me, I will keep coming back to this site cuz I like what y'all say.
Thanks for listening.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lakeside ..Hi and Welcome.
I know nothing about your question, but wanted to make you welcome, this is a great site and someone will prob have good thoughts for you. HUGS clancy46
Old 08-22-2004, 06:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Getting busy living!

Lakeside,

You said you husband went to a doctor. Is he seeing a pschyciatrist and a therapist or did he get the pills from his regular doctor? As for his diagnosis, I believe all people with depressive disorders are born with it and many self medicate themselves with alcohol or drugs and then end up being addicts too. You say he won't go back to the doctor. Can you talk to his doctor? Unfortuneately, some doctors are not as good as others. As I said in one of my other posts, depression mixed with alcohol can be lethal. My husband really wants to get better but it took him looking death in the face to get there. I do know there's a drug that can be taken that will make a person phyically ill if they drink. But it seems to me that your husband needs to get proper treatment for the depression and then he can possibly work on the drinking.

Write back here if you'd like or feel free to e-mail me. I believe I left the ability to e-mail me open on my profile.

Take care,
Old 08-22-2004, 07:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi TomsGirl
Thank you so much for the reply. His doctor is our regular GP. He is my doctor too which last time I saw him I talked to him about my AH. He is very concerned. THe Naltoexone that I have read about is not the med that makes you sick but simply takes away the urge to have any alcohol at all. It takes away the buzz so to speak. It seems to be fairly new on the market just wondered if anyone else has had experience with it. They say to have an 80% success rate with the med and support.
You know we can only hope that our AH at least try to help themselves.
Right now, I'm trying my best to help me too. I had a wonderful hike today on the Appalachian Trail, all by myself and it was unbelievable.
Take care of you too.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

lakeside - i have read about naltrexone but that's about it. in my "quest" for info i have read several articles about it. i even printed off and gave to my husband. i told him to read it and maybe it would be something he could ask his dr. about. of course, this was before al-anon, sr altho i was just providing info - what were my motives?(not sure)

your hike sounds wonderful and recharging - i did yardwork yesterday - (it's actually my stress reliever/relaxer). the weather was perfect

cwohio