self care when in physical pain

Old 04-23-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

self care when in physical pain

Ugh.........so I had an abscess glanced on Tuesday in a most uncomfortable place. I thought there was no possible way for it to hurt more after the landing than the abscess did but boy was I wrong. I can't stand up straight never mind sitting down so my lower back is locked up. I got a short term rx of Percocet for the pain but honestly have not been taking it. Just Motrin. I have to be at iop and other appointments and need to be able to drive, and honestly it doesn't work that great for me (this is my first experience with opiate painkillers).

The physical pain is so much that I can't focus AT ALL in iop. In fact, its enough to take my breath away at times. So yeah, self care when you are in pain is NOT EASY. And for the record as an aside, I don't get people taking Percocet recreationally. All it does to me is make me a little drowsy, have an uncomfortable feeling of heaviness, and wicked dizziness that I have to lie down. Don't get it at all.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ugh. I have a friend undergoing radical focused radiation treatments on her liver. The pain in the aftermath was intense. She was very concerned about becoming dependent on the medication for the pain so for about a week or so she didn't take them, or didn't take as much as she needed.

The lesson she learned was that the balance quickly tipped away from "functioning despite the pain" into an inability to function because of the pain. Her doctor told her to stop being a hero and take care of herself. It meant she had to adjust her schedule around things that the pain medication made difficult, but her life got back to normal a lot more quickly than it would have if she kept resisting. Is there anyone who can help you get to IOP and other appointments so you don't have to drive?
Old 04-23-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Heat or ice therapy may help. For heat I put one cup of long grain rice in a tube sock, tie the end, microwave for one minute, be careful extremely hot, wrap in towel, place on sore area for 20 minutes. For ice you can do a 50 / 50 of water and rubbing alcohol in a freezer bag. Freeze until it becomes like a slushy or squishy gel, wrap in towel apply. 20 minutes again. Pain sucks
Old 04-23-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry you are in pain. I have lower back disc problems. It helps me to pile all my pillows up on my bed like 4 - 5 of them. Then I drape myself face down over them, with my head and arms hanging off the foot end of the bed. It hurts like a mother initially, but eventually, all those bones start pulling apart and go back where they are supposed to be. 10 minute increments to start (and you might need help getting up after the first couple). I can do 30 minutes now when I feel it starting to go. Get better soon!
Old 04-23-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ugggh have you tried Epsom Salt soak?
Old 04-23-2015, 09:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

All it does to me is make me a little drowsy
I have said this same thing many times. I have had drugs RX'd to be after both of my c-sections and when I had meningitis I was given morphine for the main of my migraines. They didn't do anything but make me tired and feel less in pain (not painless but brought the pain to a manageable level). I've never had any kind of euphoric feeling of taking drugs because I haven't abused or attempted to abuse them.

What I would suggest to you is taking the percocet that was RX'd to you, if you don't want to take the recommended dosage maybe consider splitting them in half and doing it that way. As for self care, when I'm sick or in intense pain there are two things that I do to take care of myself and they are the most important things I can do:

1. Sleep
2. Stay hydrated

And if you can't sleep Jimmy Fallon Tonight Show episodes are a nice upbeat distraction.

I hope you feel well soon.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Terp, I agree that it should not hurt worse. Please call your doctor and ask if it's supposed to feel this bad. I had an abscess lanced and it felt much better right away.
I think you should check in with your doctor and get someone to check it. All the best.