A breakthrough

Old 04-23-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A breakthrough

I've been talking alot to my husband about quitting and seeking out resources, etc for when he's ready. He has repeatedly said he knows he has to quit, for his physical, emotional and spiritual health - but the habits of drinking are deeply ingrained. He also would like to have another child but he "knows [he] has to get his life right first". So, yesterday I was talking a bit with him about treatment options and how much dd and I need him and he got very agitated and started to cry. He told me that he's been drinking to bury something he did that he's ashamed of. He admitted it all, I forgave him, he ate dinner with us, read his Bible, prayed with me and seemed so much lighter. He said he's done with drink. Anyone who is willing to pray with us as he steps into this very hard path, I would be so grateful.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You got it!!! Sounds like he set down a heavy burden. Let's hope actions match his words and this confession is the beginning of something transformative!
Old 04-23-2015, 08:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

HoldingOn, my prayers are with you, but I fear it will take ACTION on the part of your A, not just a declaration that "he is done w/drink" after making an excuse as to why he drinks, to change anything.

As always, wishing you strength and clarity.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Sounds like the family is on the right path. I highly recommend AA. AA is about living sober. Done thoroughly sobriety is the natural outcome
Old 04-23-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Double post
Old 04-23-2015, 09:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I pray that he looks for a recovery program to learn the tools to cope in life without the drink.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Please. I was willing to spend all we have to send him to inpatient and then later, marriage counselling. That's when the floodgates opened. He said he is willing to do AA if it gets hard. I have a list of meetings.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is his recovery, if he wants it (and thankfully, it sounds like he does). You can give him the list, but then you can get started on YOUR OWN recovery. Have you been to Al Anon? Sometimes they meet when AA meets, which is convenient. Try it, you'll be glad you did!
Old 04-23-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by HoldingOntoGod View Post
Please. I was willing to spend all we have to send him to inpatient and then later, marriage counselling. That's when the floodgates opened. He said he is willing to do AA if it gets hard. I have a list of meetings.
There is no doubt it will get hard. I have never talked to an alcoholic who said it was anything other than the most difficult thing they have ever attempted. We never get fixed we just learn how to live sober. The more resources you throw at recovery the better and sooner is much better than later. Stopping drinkin is only the first step in the road to recovery
Old 04-25-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

3 days sober. Reading the Word, eating with us, going for walks. My hopes are so high but I'm still so scared.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

HoldingOn, it's great that he's been sober for 3 days. "The journey of a thousand miles starts w/a single step", as they say. But as another poster here said, not drinking and recovery are NOT the same thing.

What are you doing for YOU besides hanging on to those high hopes? I've seen it said here many times that "hope is not a plan", and in my experience, that's been true.

You said you have a list of AA meetings for HIM--have you gone to Alanon for YOU? Take it from someone who thought the A was the only one w/problems that needed fixing, you have as much work to do as he does...

Wishing you the strength and clarity you need.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can't find any Al-Anon meetings near me. I'm struggling with all-day anxiety attacks right now, so I'm just trying to get through those.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Alanon has online and phone meetings too, HoldingOn. You need help w/those anxiety attacks. Please find a way to take care of yourself.

ETA: SR has a chat room--can you use that?
Old 04-25-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

HoldingOntoGod......try google search for Celebrate Recovery in your area. It is held in various churches.....it is a faith-based 12 step recovery program for alcoholic and family, alike. (this is how I understand it).

dandylion
Old 04-25-2015, 06:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you, dandylion. There was a Celebrate Recovery near me but when I called, they had just shut down due to lack of a leader.
How can I find online AlAnon meetings?
Old 04-25-2015, 06:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

http://al-anon.org/?gclid=CjwKEAjw9u...dPHRoCaYDw_wcB

This link is to the overall Alanon site--clicking on Find a Meeting at the top of the page will give you every option imaginable for meetings, worldwide and electronic included.

I hope you find one soon, and I hope you find the support you need.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

A.A is the way to go.

Get a sponsor, get into the Steps, you stay sober.

Originally Posted by HoldingOntoGod View Post
Old 04-27-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

5 days. He went to church with us last night.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Just wanting you to know I am sending you and your family lots of prayers and support! XXX
Old 04-27-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Oh thank you, hopeful!! You are helping. If you would, please keep us in your prayers.