Notices

Its time

Old 04-21-2015, 01:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Its time

Last drink i had was saturday night into sunday. It is current tuesday morning here and i couldnt sleep last night. The worst part of the withdraw has subsided. No more dry heaving or blurry vision, still shakey but not to where i cant sit still. Im worried that once the withdraw isnt so noticable anymore i will think its ok to binge again as that is the cycle ive created for myself
Old 04-21-2015, 01:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR madmartigan

This place really helped me accept I had a problem that needed to be fixed, even after I felt ok again from my last bender...

I know we can help you too

D
Old 04-21-2015, 01:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome. I obviously need something more than just trying to "fight though" it on my own as i have tried to quit on and off for years and it has only gotten worse.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome! We're here to help. Can you tell us about why you want to be sober?
Old 04-21-2015, 02:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Madmartigan View Post
Im worried that once the withdraw isnt so noticable anymore i will think its ok to binge again
You won't. The logical part of your brain is still working. That's why you quit. That's why you're here.

You will almost assuredly feel like drinking again. What will you do then? What's the plan?
Old 04-21-2015, 02:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ive had a problem with drinking since i was a teenager really. I am current 32 and their is a lot more at stake now. House, fiance, our financial stability. Ive had multiple duis as a result over the years and the drinking is getting or has gotten to the point of me not being functional.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I needed a plan. I had to have alternatives ready to go when the urge to drink again came up, as it did frequently for the first few months. It helped me to remember what happened in the past and pay attention to the alcohol trying to spin some sort of fantasy where this time it will be different. It won't be any different.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ive had multiple duis as a result over the years and the drinking is getting or has gotten to the point of me not being functional.
Sure reminds me of my past experiences while hanging out with the liquid devil.

Life is not easy sober at times. But, mixing booze with life for many of us only leads to a deep pit, time after time yet again.

Please, take each sober day of your life very seriously. For, sobriety is worth fighting for.

Many here on site wishing to help others to recover.

Mountainman
Old 04-21-2015, 03:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Like Bookmaven said, have a look round and think about making a plan. I have some steps I take for daily maintenance like yoga, visiting this forum, AA meetings and reading widely about recovery, so I do all or a mixture of these everyday.
Then I have a few steps to deal with those intense cravings like having a bit of sugar, writing through the craving and asking for support.
Then I have some long term ideas for if I get complacent about my recovery, which is what happened last time when the memory of my last binge was in the past and I felt okay again.

Have a look round, there's lots of suggestions and resources!
Old 04-21-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Madmartigan
Old 04-21-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Madmartigan!!
Old 04-21-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Having a rough end to day 3 sober ... Started off great then the rest of the day everything I try and accomplish just isn't working out ... So now my heads killing me and I'm sweating every couple minutes and my heart is racing
Old 04-22-2015, 01:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

those discomforts should pass.

It took my body about 4 months to finally stop feeling crummy.

It took my brain about 6 months to stop obsessing over alcohol.

And it took me about 9 months to stop pining away over my break-up with marijuana. I really missed it. But that's not why your here.

I think what your feeling is normal for someone newly sober.

How are you doing today? Did you make it to day 4?
Old 04-22-2015, 02:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Im worried that once the withdraw isnt so noticable anymore i will think its ok to binge again as that is the cycle ive created for myself
I'm of the opinion that this is a good thing. It shows that you are aware of the thought processes that have perpetuated drinking. In recovery, you cannot go wrong when you admit your thoughts and feelings. Do more of this. It helps so much.

I am terrified of the same thing. For the first time in my recovery process, I am allowing myself to be afraid of failing sobriety. I was over-confident and it never helped. Humility and identifying fears helps.

So...as everyone has asked, what do you plan to do differently? What has worked for you in the past? Calling trusted friends, getting alone time or social time, having a nutritious diet, exercising, getting out of the house or staying home? Write your plan while you still feel resolute. Also, find time to identify your triggers. From what you wrote, I think you can add over-confidence to your trigger list.

All of the above has/is been a lot of work. After years and years of stifling strong emotions with booze, I didn't know who I was anymore. I literally could not identify my triggers.

Congratulations on not drinking. The first few days are the worst. Post often.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ive had a problem with drinking since i was a teenager really. I am current 32 and their is a lot more at stake now. House, fiance, our financial stability. Ive had multiple duis as a result over the years and the drinking is getting or has gotten to the point of me not being functional.

Hi and welcome.
I needed to discover, years ago and it’s still a fact today, that alcohol is powerful, baffling, cunning and insidious. Alcoholism is progressive and will never get better unless we stop its intake. It’s also a taker, taking away our emotional, mental and spiritual values of years ago along with marriage, family, finances, work etc.

I/we find it necessary to get honest with our self about our drinking AND accept the fact we cannot drink in safety one day at a time in a row. A big help in stopping is we need to WANT to stop. There are many suggestions on these forums but one that helped me a lot is to stop thinking about drinking and think about non drinking thoughts. Also I kept thinking that if I didn’t have the first drink I would not have to TRY to get sober AGAIN.

BE WELL
Old 04-22-2015, 04:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes I made it to day 4 thanks for asking ... I started another thread before I noticed anyone posted on this one ... I managed to get about an hour of nasty sweaty sleep ... So that was good ... Minus feeling bad for my fiance next to me. As far as my triggers go pretty much every emotion ... Happy, sad, frustrated, tired, energetic, sunny days, snowy days, rainy days ... Pretty much everything ... As far as my plan? I have a lot of support from my fiance, mother ... Most of the rest of my family drinks along with all of my friends. Not really feeling the AA vibe ... Went to a couple meetings about 9 years ago and didn't enjoy it or get anything from it ... So far in the past 4 days when I start to struggle I get on here or talk to my fiance. Eating helps curb it a little, been drinking a lot of caffeine ... Sometimes that helps ... Some times it makes it worse ... That's all I got for now