Notices

Scared to quit because of AWS and DTs

Old 04-20-2015, 04:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared to quit because of AWS and DTs

I have been drinking for the past two years, almost everyday, in different quantities. Anywhere between a beer up to a pint of 100 proof vodka. On most days I drink at least a half pint of 100 proof vodka at night. I have not had a drink since 10PM last night and it is now 630PM, that means I'm almost up to 19 hours without a drink, no symptoms except mild cravings. Am I just lucky up to this point? Do you think that I will get a big cascade of symptoms within the next day? What should I do?
Old 04-20-2015, 04:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR.

If you start having serious symptoms, go to the hospital.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I just found out, apparently you can get withdrawals and shakes while you're drinking, so probably best to stay sober. What the hell is going on?
Old 04-20-2015, 04:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Really?
Old 04-20-2015, 04:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome James - if you're concerned about withdrawal the very best thing for you to do is see a Dr - get some professional advice and put your mind at rest

D
Old 04-20-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by TroyW View Post
I just found out, apparently you can get withdrawals and shakes while you're drinking, so probably best to stay sober. What the hell is going on?
while thats true in some cases, I don't think the best treatment is to keep drinking. That's a very alcoholic thought

I think the best treatment is, like I said, seek professional advice and see a Dr. Be safe.

D
Old 04-20-2015, 04:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I will go the rest of tonight and see if anything happens. I'll update tomorrow. Thank you!
Old 04-20-2015, 05:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found us and I hope that you get through the night safely.

Don't be afraid to seek medical help if you need it.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jameserwin View Post
Really?
Apparently. I haven't quit drinking, and I was shaking like crazy, heavy breathing, couldn't feel my face, etc. Phew, seems to be over now though.

So yeah, stay sober dude, because if you don't, those symptoms will probably still come at some point in your life, and without question the last several hours was the worst I've ever experienced. So yeah, stay sober.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi James, good for you on deciding to quit. You may experience some withdrawal etc...but please listen to what Dee said, if it gets to be too much, better take a trip to the doc. Its a much better alternative than drinking a "little bit" to calm the nerves. I'm sure you'll do fine, best of luck to you. Keep us posted.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jameserwin View Post
I have been drinking for the past two years, almost everyday, in different quantities. Anywhere between a beer up to a pint of 100 proof vodka. On most days I drink at least a half pint of 100 proof vodka at night. I have not had a drink since 10PM last night and it is now 630PM, that means I'm almost up to 19 hours without a drink, no symptoms except mild cravings. Am I just lucky up to this point? Do you think that I will get a big cascade of symptoms within the next day? What should I do?
Chances are at that level you will get at most anxiety in your withdrawal. I drank 15-20 ounces of 40% hard liquor a day for 10+ years and worst i got was palpitations and tremors.

If you are concerned check into a detox they monitor you and give you meds you will be ok and they will get you off the sauce pretty smoothly. I went to a detox and the first day was horrible but it was actually pretty fun like summer camp for junkies i had q great time.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Chances are at that level you will get at most anxiety in your withdrawal.
It's very hard to make generalisations..
Everyone's withdrawal experience is different.

D
Old 04-21-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum James!!
Old 04-21-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I was a daily vodka drinker during the height of my alcoholism. minimum a 5th a day. I would experience withdrawal symptoms by noon the next day which started with sweating and shaky hands. If I didn't drink at this point, things got progressively worse.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

5000% agree with D i trust his advice completly

Definatly see a Dr about getting help with WD trust me on that it was made easier with a Dr's help
Old 04-21-2015, 12:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My XAH drinks vodka daily, different amounts depending on what he can afford. When he stops, he gets almost immediate seizures, tremors, nausea, migraines, aches and flu-like symptoms. He MUST detox in hospital. Just be aware of your symptoms and don't be afraid to go to the ER if it gets bad.