Notices

I am beginning to fear weekends

Old 04-20-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am beginning to fear weekends

Normally when weekend comes everyone is in good mood. But I am beginning to fear weekends. I have lost all my confidence because every Monday morning I come to work with a bad hangover, stomach ache and terrible guiltiness. I commit to myself every Monday that I won't drink again but by the time Friday comes I forget everything and end up drinking again. Is anybody else doing the same thing I am doing? Is there a way out of it? Now my frustration has gone so bad that I have even tried to commit suicide twice.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Nevermind nice to meet you
Old 04-20-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I did this for 20 years. Then decided enough is enough. One can lie to himself only for so long..
Old 04-20-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Nevermind. Many have been caught in the cycle you suggest of returning to alcohol on a regular basis.

The solution for most is to follow a regimen or "plan" to stay sober. There are a lot of ways to do it, some use meetings ( AA/Life Ring, etc ), some use Self-Paced plans or Self Help methods like AVRT, mindfulness, etc, Some seek rehab ( inpatient or outpatient ), some seek psychiatric help, and some do a little of everything.

I am guessing that if you have had 2 suicide attempts you have seen a doctor or a therapist? If not that would be a good idea. Most of us have underlying issues that we tried to mask with alcohol, and when you stop drinking they come on stronger than ever. A therapist or a recovery plan ( or both ) can help you learn healthy ways to deal with those issues rather than trying to hide from them by getting drunk.

SR itself is a fantastic support mechanism too. There are daily and monthly threads you can join and a wealth of information. Stick around and ask lots of questions, we "get it" and want to help.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm sure there are a lot of people doing that thing. People come here to help them stop doing it. And they discover that Mondays become a lot more easier to deal with when they finally give up the weekend benders.

Welcome to the forum

"a lot more easier"
Old 04-20-2015, 01:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Nevermind! I would venture to guess a lot of people here are or were doing exactly what you've been doing. I certainly had! I still fear weekends to an extent because I know with them brings temptations BUT I can safely say that for the past five weeks I have NOT been fearing Mondays, because I've made a commitment to myself not to drink any more. If you are ready to do the same it sounds like a great idea. Is drinking worth all the mental and physical anguish it seems to be causing you? If you're ready to quit, we are all here for you. Good luck!
Old 04-20-2015, 01:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you guys. I am going to my first AA meeting tonight. Last year I spent 5 months going to the Addiction Center here in our hospital. First few month were very effective than I started lying to my case manager too. Than I stopped going there as I thought I am wasting her time. I hope I can get success attending AA meetings instead.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

AA really helped me in the beginning
Old 04-20-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I commit to myself every Monday that I won't drink again but by the time Friday comes I forget everything and end up drinking again. Is anybody else doing the same thing I am doing? Is there a way out of it?
Make a recovery plan for next weekend. Don't start working on it at 3pm Friday - start now

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...very-plan.html

you can do this

D
Old 04-20-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I did it for years too, nevermind. I allowed my life to fall apart before realizing I can't touch it. Not a drop. All my attempts at controlling the amounts I drank failed. It was great to be free of it. You can do it.

Welcome - we're so glad to meet you.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I know this way too well. Its like friday comes by and you feel youve earned the drink...that you deserve the drunkenness. Weekends are way too hard
Old 04-20-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trudgin

At some point every night became a Friday and the mornings started to all feel like Mondays. " I was lost in a sea of holes."

Change is possible!! Good on you for seeking help!
It works if you work it
Old 04-20-2015, 06:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi nevermind, the scenario you reference about weekends I believe is a very common one. I've been there, many times. The unfortunate thing about is that Monday feels like death and by Friday we've forgotten about it, so we shoot ourselves out of the cannon again on Friday and Saturday and quite often Sunday and we are back to feeling like death on Monday morning.

For me, I finally just decided to make some changes and stick to it (my wife was also very supportive and helpful). At first it was a bit difficult because we get into a pattern, but once I broke the pattern for a month or so, I had a new and improved pattern. I'm working on that final piece which is to limit or eliminate drinking on Friday/Saturday. So anyway, I hope this post helped a little bit to ease your mind that yes, the weekend thing is a very common occurrence for drinkers. You can do it.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Nevermind!!
Old 04-21-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi Nevermind,

Went through the same thing except that over time Friday became Thursday and then Wednesday.

Like Dee said - probably best to start a plan sooner rather than later. Having something to do is important for me, obviously I don't know your domestic situation but as someone who lives alone, long spells of inactivity would be a problem if I let them occur.

Sometimes even doing something as dull as household chores does the trick and you get the added satisfaction of knowing something that needed to be done, has been done. Often not the case when I was drinking

Oh, and of course you can post on SR (there is even a weekend thread)
Old 04-21-2015, 03:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by nevermind999 View Post
I commit to myself every Monday that I won't drink again but by the time Friday comes I forget everything and end up drinking again.
Amnesia? Seems unlikely. Lost resolve? Much more likely.

I never did that. Made it to Friday, that is. I usually started drinking again on Tuesday.

If you know you are going to feel like drinking again on Friday, then PLAN NOW to do something else. Then do that other thing.

You can do this.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

A bit relief to see that I am not the only one going through this. Thanks a lot everybody. On the other hand it gave me strength that if you guys can get out it so can I. Today is day 4 Thursday and I have already planned a bunch of household work to do over the weekend.
Thanks again.