Notices

DAY 2 Recovery

Old 04-20-2015, 03:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

DAY 2 Recovery

Hi Guys

Its mu second day of being sober and i am 100% happy and eager to carry on drink free and finding SR has really helped.

But i have a question, basically my mum thinks its a good idea for me to stay in until the urges and cravings are gone, so i stay at home where there is no alcohol thankfully and not go out where id be tempted (even though alcohol is everywhere) But in a way I keep thinking to myself I don't feel like im achieving anything because its not me saying NO to the addiction if you get what i mean.

I thought it would be a good idea to go to the shops a couple times a week and buy something silly like sweets ( i love them haha ) and be able to do that and be proud i didn't touch any alcohol. So that way i feel like im winning and beating the addiction.

i know this sounds crazy any opinions ?!
Old 04-20-2015, 03:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You're both right. Don't bite the hand that feeds. If this weren't an alcohol deal it would be normal parental smothering which can be alleviated by..well...leaving for awhile. Problematic for us newly-sober as alcohol has been involved in many of my life "break-away" moments--almost a rite of passage to drink away parental authority. So go to the store. Better yet, go to a meeting or the gym or anything synonymous with recovery. Enough "say-no" moments will present themselves w/out forcing them in the coming days.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anattaboy View Post
You're both right. Don't bite the hand that feeds. If this weren't an alcohol deal it would be normal parental smothering which can be alleviated by..well...leaving for awhile. Problematic for us newly-sober as alcohol has been involved in many of my life "break-away" moments--almost a rite of passage to drink away parental authority. So go to the store. Better yet, go to a meeting or the gym or anything synonymous with recovery. Enough "say-no" moments will present themselves w/out forcing them in the coming days.
i get exactly where your coming from, all through my life in going to have those say no moments its just when they present them selves. But they have to be faced because there everywhere around us.
Thank you for your advice
Old 04-20-2015, 04:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I spent about 3 months getting a strong sober routine together so that i could use that as a foundation to build from .

I feel no need to deliberately put myself in harms way until that situation actually happens , i'm more than content to avoid things and stay safe .

Sobriety is my number one priority and is the foundation stone upon which i build my happy life .

Bestwishes, m
Old 04-20-2015, 04:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Foundation is the best word that could be used. Without the pole and pegs the tent won't stay up. You got this! Build!
Here's the poem from The Life of Muhammad I got that from;

A folk that hath no chiefs must soon decay,
And chiefs it hath not when the vulgar sway.
Only with poles the tent is reared at last,
And poles it hath not save the pegs hold fast.
But when the pegs and poles are once combined
Then stands accomplished that which was designed.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Doesn't sound crazy but i think time away building sober muscles really helps

As for sweets ice cream etc are great for cravings
Old 04-20-2015, 05:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I did'nt become a hermit...I went out and did normal things...but I didn't go to bars parties or raves either.

I wanted very much to stay sober, and I worked hard at building what I call my sobriety muscles before I let myself be in any social setting with alcohol again.

D
Old 04-20-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your replies it really made me realise something today, its like there is two of me the normal happy bubbly woman who actually doesnt care about going out just for the sake of it and the alcoholic addicted woman who only wants to go out for a drink if i look at it realistically. But in such early days of recovery i think its good to be grounded and safe and not put the temptation in my way its like have a little person sitting on my shoulder its so annoying.

but even realising that today has made me so happy because i no now i can tell it to do one and let the thought pattern go like they say riding a wave.... Time is a healer and i totally agree
Old 04-20-2015, 08:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CharlesG View Post
Foundation is the best word that could be used. Without the pole and pegs the tent won't stay up. You got this! Build!
Here's the poem from The Life of Muhammad I got that from;

A folk that hath no chiefs must soon decay,
And chiefs it hath not when the vulgar sway.
Only with poles the tent is reared at last,
And poles it hath not save the pegs hold fast.
But when the pegs and poles are once combined
Then stands accomplished that which was designed.
Everything you posted really gave me alot of positivity especially

No person place event or situation would ever be more important than my sobriety!!! LOVE THIS!!