The Language of Letting Go, April 20

Old 04-19-2015, 11:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Language of Letting Go, April 20

APRIL 20

You are reading from the book "The Language of Letting Go."

Deadlines

I don't know whether I want in or out of this relationship. I've been struggling with it for months now. It's not appropriate to let it hang indefinitely. I will give myself two months to make a decision.
--Anonymous

Sometimes it helps to set a deadline.

This can be true when we face unsolved problems, are struggling with a tough decision, have been sitting on the fence for a while, or have been floundering in confusion about a particular issue for a time.

That does not mean a deadline is written in stone. It means that we are establishing a time frame to help ourselves not feel so helpless and to help bring a solution into focus. Setting deadlines can free our energy to set the problem or issue aside, to let go, and allow the Universe, our Higher Power, and ourselves to begin to move toward a solution.

We don't always need to tell people we've got a deadline. Sometimes it's better to be silent, or else they may feel we are trying to control them and may rebel against our deadline. Sometimes it is appropriate to share our deadlines with others.

Deadlines are primarily a tool to help ourselves. They need to be reasonable and appropriate to each individual situation. Used properly, deadlines can be a beneficial tool to help us get through difficult problems and situations without feeling trapped and helpless. They can help us let go of worrying and obsessing, so we can focus our energies in more constructive directions. Setting a deadline can help move us out of that uncomfortable spot of feeling victimized by a person or a problem we can't solve.

Deadlines can help us detach and move forward.

Today, I will consider whether a deadline might be helpful in some areas in my life. I claim Divine Wisdom and Guidance in setting appropriate deadlines for any problems or relationship issues that may be lingering.

©1990, Hazelden Foundation. All rights reserved.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Making deadlines like this for myself has helped me stay focused on what I can control in my marriage (me).
Old 04-20-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

LOVE this, HP, and it is much needed for me today. Just last night, I was thinking that I need to set a deadline for myself. Today, I am doing that.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'm in the same boat....i've been wishy washy about this for 3 years now... NOT OK FOR ME!
Old 04-20-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Oh my word, honeypig....you can't begin to imagine how this whole deadline issue is true in my world right now.

Thank you!
Old 04-20-2015, 01:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wisconsin View Post
LOVE this, HP, and it is much needed for me today. Just last night, I was thinking that I need to set a deadline for myself. Today, I am doing that.
You GO, my friend!

It really is all too easy to let days, weeks, months slip by and turn into years...and the change we need to make isn't generally getting any easier as time passes.

I have things I need to take care of around the house that I've been putting off forever, stuff that needs to be donated or sold, stuff that needs to be cleaned or fixed or replaced. Meanwhile these things are an energy suck every time I see them or think about them and think how they are not getting done...

Time for me to make some deadlines of my own.