Notices

Trying hard

Old 04-19-2015, 04:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying hard

Hello folks,

I'm a student in a grad school. I have been drinking regularly around 500ml of alcohol on a daily basis for the past 90 days. I need some information. I have stopped drinking from yesterday, but I'm having possibly withdrawal symptoms like nausea (can't keep food down), loss of appetite, the place over my liver is aching slightly and I'm really constipated.

Could you guys tell me what to do at this moment because I'm really eager to quit, get sober and healthy. Also, can you guys throw in some light as to why my liver is aching or to when would the aches possibly subside if I stop drinking immediately?

I also didn't get a moments worth of sleep. Would you guys also recommend tapering down, since I want to do it at home.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Riju, go to a doctor immediately. Be completely honest with them.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Everyone's body is different, but when I detox myself, I find what works best is ensuring to eat a big meal the night before while I'm still drinking. If I don't, then the withdrawals tend to be quite bad, and I can't keep food down either. I also find these multi-vitamin fruit juice drinks tend to work quite good as well.

It's simply your body releasing toxins. You've poisoned your body with drinking, and when you stop drinking, it will begin to clean itself. Your body doesn't want anything new in its system -- quite the opposite, it wants to get rid of the toxins. Do what you can to eat healthy though, and eat as much as you can, even more than you normally do if possible. One of the main causes of DTs is poor diet and an empty stomach, which is pretty common amongst alcoholics.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Riju

we can;t give you medical advice here. It;s against our rules - it would also be not much use to you because withdrawal is unpredictable and we have no idea of your clinical history.

I would recommend seeing a Dr. To me that's the best approach. Detox can sometimes be tricky - if you're seeing a Dr you have nothing to worry about.

As for tapering it never worked for me - how could I control the intake of something I couldn't control the intake of?

D
Old 04-19-2015, 05:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

One of the main causes of DTs is poor diet and an empty stomach
If you've got a citation for that, I'd like to see it Troy?

D
Old 04-19-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TroyW View Post
One of the main causes of DTs is poor diet and an empty stomach, which is pretty common amongst alcoholics.
Hi.
From which internet medical journal was that gleaned from?

A doctor or the ER would be a best solution finder, being honest of course.

BE WELL
Old 04-19-2015, 05:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
If you've got a citation for that, I'd like to see it Troy?
I've read it in several places, but here's a couple:

Delirium tremens: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

Under Causes, it states "Delirium tremens can occur when you stop drinking alcohol after a period of heavy drinking, especially if you do not eat enough food."

Alcohol Detoxification | Health | Patient.co.uk

Under Vitamin Supplements, it says "This is because many people who are dependent on alcohol do not eat properly and can lack certain vitamins. A lack of vitamin B1 is the most common. A lack of this vitamin can cause serious brain conditions."

Sorry, can't seem to find the best reference I read on it though. Not sure what site that was on, but it was a reputable medical site.

That, and my own personal experience. If I binge for a couple weeks until my body shuts down, then decide that's a good time to detox, the withdrawals will generally be quite horrible. On the flip side, if I try to at least somewhat plan it, and ensure to eat a good meal just before going to sleep before I detox, then the withdrawals are nowhere near as bad. Again, everyone's body is different. I'm just saying what works for me, but yeah, doctor visit is always best.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"Under Causes, it states "Delirium tremens can occur when you stop drinking alcohol after a period of heavy drinking, especially if you do not eat enough food."

Hi.

That explanation is about people who for a long period of time have neglected decent nutrition and have consumed their calories from alcohol. In other very unhealthy living.

After detoxing and with healthy nutrition much of our system may recover.

BE WELL
Old 04-19-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you people so much, for the advice. I've been drinking lots of milk, natural juices, and fruits. I have built my resolve to do away with this problem for good. staying healthy, eating right and working out is the new motto.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post
That explanation is about people who for a long period of time have neglected decent nutrition and have consumed their calories from alcohol. In other very unhealthy living.
Right, you just described a typical alcoholic. :-)

When you detox, your body goes into repair mode, and begins using every last ounce of energy to clean itself. This is why it's important to force yourself to eat, even if you're not hungry. Your body needs all the food & energy it can get (assuming it's healthy food -- eg. lots of fish & veggies), because it's working overtime trying to fix all the damage you've done. Otherwise, your body is going to begin shutting down on you, which can cause DTs.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Riju!!