Alcohol and Adderall

Old 04-18-2015, 04:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol and Adderall

Hi, I'm new to the forum, I've been reading and absorbing a lot. My husband and I have been married for over 15 years and have 3 children.

He has been a heavy drinker since day 1 but mostly on weekends or nights out. A few years ago he went through a depression period and after seeing a doctor was prescribed adderal for ADD. As you know drinking is not recommended while taking adderal. For the first year or two he did not drink but slowly thAt changed and so has his behavior. He has withdrawn from our family and friends and is very much in his own world. He is unwilling to stop drinking since drinking makes him "happy".

Recenly his drinking has increased. He is going to "lunch" during work, having a few beers then coming home having a few more all while taking his adderal. He's also meeting friends after work to drink but telling me he's at "work" so that I wont "freak out". I feel like I'm on a roller coaster, up and down, up and down.

My question is- will mixing adderal and alcohol change a persons behavior? Can a person become addicted to a drug that is prescribed by a doctor or does the problem lie with the alcohol? I'm so confused!
Old 04-18-2015, 05:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

YES and YES. My son was prescribed Adderall when he was 19 and it worked well....too well apparently. He said as the effects would wear off he would take the next one earlier and earlier. He became addicted and we took him off them immediately.
At that time he wasn't an alcoholic, so I can't say how the two interact. My son had panic attacks on Adderall as well. it was a horrible experience and I hope you don't have to deal with it much longer. The adderall is passed around like candy on college campuses, so it's definitely easily obtainable.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's not a good combination. And yes, you can get addicted to drugs prescribed by a doctor but in this situation? My money would be on the alcohol. As much as you describe he's drinking, he sounds like an alcoholic to me. And as much as you think he's drinking, I'd be willing to bet he's drinking more than you know.

I would recommend learning what you can about addictions and alcoholism. And for you, to stay sane while you figure this out, I would recommend Al-Anon.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I saw mine on adderall and vodka once. He was bouncing off of the walls and talking a mile a minute. He started teasing his little nephew until the kid broke down in tears. It was our first big fight. You want to be an ass? Have at! But you don't get to pick on kids! No drug and alcohol should be mixed