Notices

Finding sober concert attendees

Old 04-18-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finding sober concert attendees

I started my attempt at sobriety two years ago. Currently, and hopefully my last, sobriety date is January 5, 2015. Here is my current situation: I want to attend the Carolina Rebellion concert coming up in two weeks. I've been to one other concert sober, but had people available to go with me. This time I don't have anyone. I'm worried, and don't know what to do or where to go. I've heard that there are groups who attend concerts sober, but I don't know how to go about finding them. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 04-18-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is something I've struggled with quite a bit myself. I'm also predominantly a fan of extreme metal and, as I'm sure you know, it can be a very party-centric scene with a "let's get wasted!" mentality. However, with that also comes a LOT of people, in bands and in show attendance, that are recovering alcoholics and enjoying each riff sober.

Another thing to keep in mind with this fest specifically: bands like Hatebreed and Of Mice and Men will bring in the hardcore straightedge crowd. That's going to be a large group of people staying sober and being rather vocal and proud of it.

Either way, you may be surprised at just how many people in attendance at metal shows are sober, many for prolonged periods of time. Did you know Randy Blythe of Lamb of God is over 4 years sober and openly encourages those struggling with addiction to seek help? Hopefully going forward there will be more people in the metal community as open and honest with their struggles, but until then just know that you're far from alone.

Just beware of the "bangover"
Old 04-18-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Court jester

I am going to a Godsmack/Slipknot concert next Saturday. My 15 year old son bought tickets for us both as my Christmas present. No chance in hell I will be drinking or "partying".
Old 04-18-2015, 10:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad to know that I'm not the only one! Any tips for while I'm there?
Old 04-18-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

For me, metal concerts and drinking went hand and hand. It was over two years before I felt strong enough to go to a concert and not struggle with the urge to drink. Saw Opeth. And I was fine. But I was also strong in my recovery and knew I would be okay.

You, however, sound like you have doubts. And no wonder. You've only been sober since January. If live, heavy metal music is a trigger, I would urge caution...caution in the form of not going. Wait and attend Carolina Rebellion 2016.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For me attending events, concerts, sports games, the important thing is separate out in my mind the event from the drinking, I don't buy a ticket to go drinking, there are cheaper ways of doing that, as mentioned teenagers and kids go to events with parents who won't be drinking.

Separating out why I am there, to watch a gig, watch a game reaffirms that I can do it without alcohol, both don't have to go hand in hand, even though they did for a long time, I can now be like one of the people I'd see having a coffee or a soda, drive home myself and have a hangover free next morning!!
Old 04-18-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What about checking who's organising and see if they need volunteers? That way you'd meet people and get in free as well.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm actually with Carl in erring on the side of caution. If you feel you may not be ready to go alone yet, don't. I've turned down my share of shows because I didn't feel ready. Coincidentally, though, I'm about to head out the door to my first black metal show since rehab. I'll give an update on my return
Old 04-18-2015, 03:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

3 months is great but it sounds like the concert is a big ask, Courtney?

D