Hi,I need some advise.

Old 08-21-2004, 02:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JUSTINE

Hi,I need some advise.

Hello my name is Justine.
I am a regular visitor to SR as I am recovering myself but I have an addiction to drugs and the advise i need is in regards to my oldest Brother who is an Alcoholic.
He has been since i can remember as he is 10yrs older than me so I can only ever remember him this way.He has destroyed my family over and over again and we just dont know what to do anymore.He has been sober a few times over the years but always reverts back to his ways.I have tried to be there for him as me being an addict myself thought he could confide in me and open himself up to me for help but he just keeps kicking me down and i cant deal with it anymore.I have come to realise that Alcohol is a different addiction and different to beat so I know i cant use my experience to help him.
My Mum and Dad are torn apart as they have tried to help when he asks for it but he then kicks them as well.He goes off on binges where we then get the phone calls from hospitals or mental Institutions.H is 40yrs old and an Alcoholic since he was about 15 when he was officially diagnosed as one so it has plagued our lives forever.
He has recently been diagnosed with hep c and liver disease so we are worried he is going to kill himself if he doesnt stop.
I know there is no miricle answer but if any one here has any suggestions or ideas to make him wake up and at least try to get sober again it would be much appreciated.
Thanks for listening anyway.
Old 08-21-2004, 04:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Justine-

As you know the only one who can really take charge of his recovery is him. It looks like it might be a good idea for you and your parents to consider damage control for your own lives. If you stop allowing him to wreck your lives he might wake up if he finds no where else to go he might seek the help and healing he needs.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

sorry Justine the only person who can help him is him. Nothing you or anyone does can get him to get help . It is a decision he and only he can make. Then only thing you and your family can do is do for yourselves . Wish I had more . I will pray for all of you