Notices

The beauty of sleep, revisited

Old 04-14-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The beauty of sleep, revisited

I often have waxed rhapsodic on here about the wonders of sober sleep. To sleep deeply, without waking in the middle of the night, sweating and heart pounding, has been one of my greatest joys.

This morning, a good night's sleep is at the top of my gratitude list. Last night I came home from an 11 hour day at the office, spent. I knew it was going to be a long day and had given myself a few treats to make it through, including flowers for my office and a special lunch, but I still was sapped. In the past, I would have come home and quickly drained two glasses of wine. Instead, I had a cup of tea,watched a little bad tv, and went to bed.

It is going to be another long one today, but I feel so grateful to be facing it this morning rested, without a hangover. Good rest is one of those seemingly small things that I hadn't even realized I had given up when I was drinking.

Have a great day.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Agreed, sleep is fantastic and congrats on finding some other ways to reward your hard work than drinking. All those little things add up over time...keep treating yourself well and enjoy the sleep!
Old 04-14-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Journey of Sobriety

Originally Posted by matilda123 View Post
I often have waxed rhapsodic on here about the wonders of sober sleep. To sleep deeply, without waking in the middle of the night, sweating and heart pounding, has been one of my greatest joys.

This morning, a good night's sleep is at the top of my gratitude list. Last night I came home from an 11 hour day at the office, spent. I knew it was going to be a long day and had given myself a few treats to make it through, including flowers for my office and a special lunch, but I still was sapped. In the past, I would have come home and quickly drained two glasses of wine. Instead, I had a cup of tea,watched a little bad tv, and went to bed.

It is going to be another long one today, but I feel so grateful to be facing it this morning rested, without a hangover. Good rest is one of those seemingly small things that I hadn't even realized I had given up when I was drinking.

Have a great day.
It's incredible how much things change after getting sober! Sleep, diet, social life, work, family relationships, etc. I have to say that sleep is one of the most important aspects, because with better sleep there is so much more energy to live life. Thanks for the post!
Old 04-14-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i remember waking up at 3am on sunday (or worse monday) in full-tilt panic mode. dont miss that much.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats Matilda
Old 04-14-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have slept through the night the last two nights. 8 hours of sleep and never woke up once. It really was an amazing feeling. I feel rested this morning.
Four nights ago, I was pacing in anxiety, and didn't even have one second of sleep. That was not fun.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow - you're doing a really good job taking care of yourself on a daily basis. Flowers for your office and a yummy lunch!

I do get myself little food treats on particularly long work days (as evidenced by my "zero weight lost sobriety"), but never think of buying myself flowers. That is a great idea and one which I will adopt. I have begun buying flowers for others in sobriety - AA friends on their birthdays, people who help me with things (like my tax lady, today...).

And I agree with you on the sleep! I actually thought I had night sweats as an aspect of getting older, but it turns out that was just alcohol! Now I sleep through the night like a child, all snuggled up with the pup. I had tremendous difficulties with sleep in the first couple of months of my sobriety, and this is a nightly (and daily, because I feel so much better) gift.

In terms of other self-care, especially when I have heavy work weeks, I do get massage, facials, and get my hair done - typically one of the three every week or two. I was never very into any of that girly stuff (and sometimes it feels silly, because this is Alaska, and nobody really cares...), but I just love the way it feels to get fussed over for an hour.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heartcore View Post
Wow - you're doing a really good job taking care of yourself on a daily basis. Flowers for your office and a yummy lunch!

I do get myself little food treats on particularly long work days (as evidenced by my "zero weight lost sobriety"), but never think of buying myself flowers. That is a great idea and one which I will adopt. I have begun buying flowers for others in sobriety - AA friends on their birthdays, people who help me with things (like my tax lady, today...).

And I agree with you on the sleep! I actually thought I had night sweats as an aspect of getting older, but it turns out that was just alcohol! Now I sleep through the night like a child, all snuggled up with the pup. I had tremendous difficulties with sleep in the first couple of months of my sobriety, and this is a nightly (and daily, because I feel so much better) gift.

In terms of other self-care, especially when I have heavy work weeks, I do get massage, facials, and get my hair done - typically one of the three every week or two. I was never very into any of that girly stuff (and sometimes it feels silly, because this is Alaska, and nobody really cares...), but I just love the way it feels to get fussed over for an hour.
I, too, often used to dismiss that "girly stuff." I thought it vain and in conflict with my feminist principles. Of course, there are lots of other wAys to take care of one's self, but I happen to like those pampering treats, so I'm going for it. My new goal is to try to shower myself a bit with the care and affection I shower on others.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

About a year and a half into my sobriety, I bought myself an incredible mattress and really squishy pillows. That's all it took to cure my insomnia that I thought I'd be facing for the rest of my life! I still have some bad nights here and there, but mostly, my sleep has been fantastic these past 6 months!