Notices

Ahhh

Old 04-13-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ahhh

Beautiful Monday afternoon.. Co-workers are going for beers. AV whispering in my ear..I would really love for her to shut up. But, going to go pick up my pup and go to yoga.. Concerned about missing time with the people I care about because I can't go for a beer. I know I should find people who don't drink, but I love my co workers and they are responsible drinkers. I know I'll feel terrible if I drink but man this is so hard. I don't want to drink to get drunk. I want to be able to participate in a social event and feel alienated. Boss knows I'm not drinking, says "you can't.." On any other day I'm going to say, " I'm gonna come and hang out tho " and hope that'll be acceptable and that I can do it. Instead I'm going to go get a coffee. Thanks SR.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Good call strangeangel. I have found that over time I was once again able to participate in work related functions where alcohol was served, but I still dont' hang out in bars, probably never will. And i'm fine with that.

Making alternate plans was a good decision this time around....enjoy your yoga!
Old 04-13-2015, 02:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

The boss has your back.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good call!
Old 04-13-2015, 02:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi StrangeAngel i think some time away while building sober muscles will pave the way for you to hang out with friends who drink its very risky to do so the AV will say anything at this point and the temptation is very high aswell as the risk

Whereas some time out working on strenghtening your sobriety will help massively in staying sober

Can you ask your good trusted friends to do something unrelated to alcohol ?
Old 04-13-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I agree with what others have said here Strangeangel, you won't have to miss out on the company of your coworkers indefinitely. You just have to forgo it for a while until you feel secure enough, after all even if the company is good if the AV is shouting at you it won't be very enjoyable to say the least

It's good to work with good people isn't it?
Old 04-13-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I want to be able to participate in a social event and feel alienated.
You will, eventually strangeangel. For now it's good to be gentle with your new sober self

D
Old 04-13-2015, 05:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! Luckily feeling passed. Went to yoga sculpt and ran into an old flame/crush. Was happy I have been sober for 3 weeks bc I felt way more confident and kicked butt in class! Definitely wouldn't have been as out going and comfortable if I was still drinking. Annnndddd I got lucky and didn't have to pay the parking meter. It was meant to be. Made right choice and was shone that by the powers that be. 😊