Notices

Regrets, I've had a few...

Old 04-11-2015, 07:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Regrets, I've had a few...

When I was drinking I used to call people and say the most asinine things. Drunk dialing it is called. Now I have to live with the statements I made while drinking and it is really sad. I know one of the steps is to make amends but some of the people won't even take my calls anymore thinking that I am still drinking.

Anyone relate?
Old 04-11-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes. I found that I have to give them the space-we can apologize/make amends but they don't have to accept them. They may never speak to you again, but remember, we take care of our side of the street.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am possibly the worlds worst drunk dialler but for me it was text/Facebook messages as well which are worse as the person can look at them whenever.

I would ring people 10-15 times in a row if they didn't answer and leave random voicemails.

I would send girls the most cringing messages trying to get hook ups even if I didn't fancy them and they are just good friends.

I once was so ****** I meant to text my manager at 8am I'm ill and not coming in and my mate come meet us we still getting on it but got the messages the wrong way round and nearly lost my job.

I put embarrassing stories I thought were really funny on Facebook updates then woke up and realised I sounded like a moron and cringed at the comments ripping into me.

Sound familiar?
Old 04-11-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can relate. At the moment, I'm reflecting on all the damage i've done and said when I was drinking. I feel like it's going to be following me around like a ball and chain.
And thanks Latte - I'm going to keep that in mind. Time heals things I hope.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sometimes all you can do is reach out. If they won't take your calls, you've made an attempt to repair things, but that is all you can do (other than staying sober).
Old 04-11-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

If people won't take your calls, that's okay. You can still write something that you do not send to them, but just to get the words on paper. It's not really something you can push.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No I won't push anything. I just feel badly for being a drunk a$$. Hope time will heal.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Artfriend, I didn't do it myself, but my ex once phoned me while being drunk, said a lot of BS, and called be a "blonde b**ch". I actually had a good laugh "Oh, that's something new".

He never remembered any of that.

I rarely remember this too.

Probably, people don't remember it that vividly as you do. We are all humans, make mistakes, and things we'd rather to forget.

You are not doing this any more. So, move on.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I really never called anyone names or got mean, I just would talk about dumb things or whine about my life and bore them to tears. Embarrassing.

BTW MidnightBlue - my mom called me a dumb blond and she was sober! LOL!
Old 04-11-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh yes. I was a drunk, my computer was a soapbox and asinine is a good word Death by social media, don't press 'share' folks
Old 04-11-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Court jester

Regret, remorse, guilt and shame serve no purpose in our sober lives. They are a means to distract us from living in the NOW.

I am one of those who deep down feels that I deserve to be punished for (insert whatever). I will often drudge up my past mistakes as a means to reinforce this faulty thinking. But it accomplishes me nothing, or rather, nothing good. My past does not define me today. The good opinion of others does not define me. If I offended, I make an effort to apologize. If they accept it, great. If not, so be it.

I'm sure that if you were to ask your higher power to help you come to grips with the mistakes of the past, he/she would respond, "What mistakes? The ones we let go of before? I don't remember them."
Old 04-11-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Bmac (Bill). I just changed my signature.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Court jester

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
Thanks Bmac (Bill). I just changed my signature.
Awesome!!
Old 04-11-2015, 11:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I can relate. I turn into a blathering idiot after too much to drink. If I am drinking alone, I turn to my phone or the Internet to spread my 'charm' and 'wisdom'. The drunk dialling/texting/social media posts always was of the cringe-inducing kind that had me dreading looking at my phone the next day.

It's like I have a split personality. when soBer, I am actually quite introverted and humble. I don't bother much with texting or calling people. Unfortunately, people only hear from me when I'm drunk otherwise I don't bother them.

Alcohol is indeed baffling. however, if I don't drink, I know I don't have to worry about making a fool of myself and each day I can wake up without dreading what I did or said the night beforr
Old 04-11-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yeap, texting and facebook was always a bad idea for me when drinking!!
Old 04-11-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I can relate. I turn into a blathering idiot after too much to drink. If I am drinking alone, I turn to my phone or the Internet to spread my 'charm' and 'wisdom'. The drunk dialling/texting/social media posts always was of the cringe-inducing kind that had me dreading looking at my phone the next day.

It's like I have a split personality. when soBer, I am actually quite introverted and humble. I don't bother much with texting or calling people. Unfortunately, people only hear from me when I'm drunk otherwise I don't bother them.

Alcohol is indeed baffling. however, if I don't drink, I know I don't have to worry about making a fool of myself and each day I can wake up without dreading what I did or said the night beforr
I am exactly the same way! My sister in anger at my drinking once said to me 'are you bipolar or something?'...I told her no...I'm just a typical alcoholic.
I really don't want to worry about what i've said or done when drunk. I'm just really really sick and tired of that.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post

Spread my "charm" and "wisdom". I actually LMFAO when I read this. Oh yes....that was 1000% true of me. And the worst part was that I actually thought I was being charming and wise everytime, until the dreaded re read the next day. I am cringing whilst writing this just thinking of the moronic blithering rubbish I have texted and posted.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I still cringe at some of the things I said to my boss ArtFriend but the impact of does wear off after a while. Like an old wound that 99% heals.

Personally I would take it to heart more if the person saying the dumb c**p was sober
Old 04-11-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I used to turn into a completely acid bitch if I couldn't get my way when I was drunk (and if I got my own way I'd be all laughter, jollity, sweetness and light). I hate bumping into people that I suspect (but don't actually 'know') have been on the receiving end of it.

The worst thing is that I know that the inclination is still there to think like it sober when the HALT triggers are lurking and I'm not watching myself - thankfully I'm better at keeping my mouth shut (although I sometimes have to pray to God to give me the grace to keep my tongue in my face lol). I'm getting better at spotting my resentments and getting myself to a safe haven where I can work through it. I really don't want to be a bitch, but sometimes it feels like old habits die hard. When I talk to people (non alcoholic friends) about this they say they can't imagine me EVER being like that, and somehow that makes me feel sad to be letting them down.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

I think everyone who gets drunk had thier share of calling or texting someone and don't remember the next day. by reading it when you are sober or someone told you what you said. I had many episodes on this cri terror and it wasn't pretty at all. I have lost friends and I have friends who knew I only do it when I was drinking.

You can just let it go, and pray for them forgiveness. That's the only way you can heal yourself for doing your part.