Notices

struggling

Old 04-11-2015, 04:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

struggling

A friend of mine that I haven't seen for a long time has invited me to her house tonight. . . I'm so tempted to drink.
For me a good catch up with a friend usually involves a few glasses of wine. . .as much as I'm looking forward to seeing her I'm sad about not drinking. :-(
Old 04-11-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think recovery, and early recovery, needs to be a time of good decisions.
Sometimes those decisions involve sacrifice, and they are hard to make.

I wonder if you couldn't postpone the get together for a few weeks, or months, and tell her you're not drinking anymore and invite her to your place or a place of your choosing where you could ensure an alcohol free evening?
Old 04-11-2015, 04:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dear Miss:

Turn a negative into a positive. Why don't you see this as an opportunity to flex your sober muscles. Have you played the tape? Remember how some of those nights of "catching up" ended up.

Celebrate the "new you"! You are fab! Remember waking up and not only feeling but looking bad? Tomorrow you will be fresh and you will remember everything you discussed with your friend.

Keep your eye on the price. We are here when you need us!!!
Old 04-11-2015, 04:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys.
She knows I'm not drinking as I said I'm on medication.
I just feel down today in general. Annoyed at myself.
I will go and not drink. We are ordering takeaway instead. :-)
I might even make the yoga class after all tomorrow morning!
Old 04-11-2015, 05:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am in the exact same boat as you. To go to stay -want to drink but no you can't. It's going to be a tuff day. Let's be strong and make it through this weekend.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by itstiime View Post
I am in the exact same boat as you. To go to stay -want to drink but no you can't. It's going to be a tuff day. Let's be strong and make it through this weekend.
Yeah, let's. Have a good weekend.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Miss

Best advice I got early on (Day 107 for me, so not that long ago) was "to do whatever is necessary to go to bed sober tonight." For me that meant I had to change some basic things, like going to bed earlier - which was really difficult because I'm a night owl by nature. One of the things I did was force myself to get up at 5:30am and go to the gym. In order to do that, I HAD to be sober the night before. And after a while of working myself into this routine, I HAD to go to bed earlier from sheer exhaustion

I'm not suggesting that you do any of this, Miss. Just hope that you have a solid plan to get you through your evening. Sober Yoga sounds good to me!
Old 04-11-2015, 05:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

it gets easier.

the sadness fades.

it opens into something beautiful.

Bring ginger ale and plan to leave at a set time.

You don't need wine to catch up with a friend.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by On The Road View Post
Hi Miss

Best advice I got early on (Day 107 for me, so not that long ago) was "to do whatever is necessary to go to bed sober tonight." For me that meant I had to change some basic things, like going to bed earlier - which was really difficult because I'm a night owl by nature. One of the things I did was force myself to get up at 5:30am and go to the gym. In order to do that, I HAD to be sober the night before. And after a while of working myself into this routine, I HAD to go to bed earlier from sheer exhaustion

I'm not suggesting that you do any of this, Miss. Just hope that you have a solid plan to get you through your evening. Sober Yoga sounds good to me!
Misscostalot lives in Luxembourg. That place is awesome! Apart from being the financial capital of the world they have lots of cheese and roaring fire-places.

There are also lots of forests and old buildings to explore. I would love to go walking around there and take some photos.

Apparently they have some yoga classes as well, but you have to wear those yoga pants which aren't good for fatties like me, but Miss might be okay.

They probably have roller-discos as well, because ABBA is still a big thing, and wide lapels are all the rage. Lots to do.

Or just get on the interweb and post on here.