Notices

First AA......Day 5

Old 04-10-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First AA......Day 5

I finally took the plunge and went to this group that they have for alcoholics who wish to become and remain sober...

I procrastinated all week about going. Well I had to get back to work and into a routine but I suppose I've been procrastinating for a long time.

I've been reading/rereading and listening/relistening to books and audios that I have on the area of "personal development" and I suppose one or two things I've read have pushed me towards this group. Totally unrelated speakers. But they seemed to be saying things that either that group has or things that have stopped me going in the past.

For example:
"If it frightens you, do it". My procrastination has come from fear. I was going to put it off again tonight and I thought of that and then went. I also spoke because of that, although I'm not sure if I had a choice, but I wanted to because of that.

"I can't tell you the benefit of having older mature men in your life" A speaker on mature masculinity.

"Whatever you want to achieve in your life, find people who are successful in that area and be mentored by them".

My anxiety/slight obsession about death which obvously is a million fold with alcohol had me thinking about what I did about "a long time ago" when I tried to deal with that problem. I was in Thailand and decided to check out Buddhism which lead me to The Tibeten Book Of Living and Dying. I never finished it but remembered feeling a peace or acceptance. Anyway I don't know what happened, I soon reverted back to...I don't know, Atheism or Nihilism....Anyway recently I remembered how I felt reading that book and I have a desire to get into it again. So I guess that's the "spiritual" side of that group taken care of...
Old 04-10-2015, 01:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Congrats on your first meeting. Sharing that experience here might make it slightly easier for another person to go.

I had an experience somewhat like yours after reading The "Tibetan Book Of The Dead". You may wish to check out a book called "Gods Breath". It has a great commentary about that ancient work by Carl Jung (most likely to be found online). I would also recommend you take a look at "Life after life" by Raymond Moody.

All the best to you.