Notices

No Motivation

Old 04-09-2015, 04:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No Motivation

Is it normal to feel really demotivated when you first enter into sobriety?

I have had all these great ideas about clubs I should join to meet new people etc but the truth is. . . at the moment I just want to sleep and lie on my couch. I know that this doesn't solve anything and that I won't meet new friends etc by doing this but, by the time I finish work, I am just shattered and want to rest.

I suppose drinking took away from the fact that I am quite depressed and gave me a "second wind" as it were.

Im confused as I am a binge drinker and do not drink every day. . . but I feel so lethargic and emotional at the moment. Is this normal for someone that doesn't drink every day. I know Im more teary than normal but I think that's more to do with the uncertainty of my future and giving up "old Habits."

I just wish I had the drive to do what I should be doing and start gong out and trying new things but I am struggling finding the energy to venture outside my house at the moment. (except for going to work!)

Thanks for reading.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's normal to feel a little fatigued, apathetic and shellshocked even - and no you don't have to be the all day everyday drinker to feel that way.

Give your mind and body a chance to heal - things will get better, I promise

D
Old 04-09-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks! Im just so worried that I'm always going to feel like this I suppose.

I do suffer from depression from time to time which is actually another reason why I've decided to stop drinking.

I guess I just have to be patient and see what happens. :-)
Old 04-09-2015, 04:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi.

Withdrawal from Alcohol reacts differently with the individual.

The benefits of not drinking far exceed the pitfalls of drinking a toxic fluid, some come sooner than others.

The pitfall is a miserable life and death.

BE WELL
Old 04-09-2015, 04:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've been experiencing the same thing. I think it's normal to feel fatigued. I work an office job, 9-5, and after I get home I have a hard time being motivated to do much of anything - I've been forcing myself to work out in my home gym so at least that is going pretty well. It's been a couple of weeks now and I have already noticed it improving a little bit. Hang in there - it does get better.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Depression and anxiety are painful realties of my sobriety. I saw and doctor and was prescribed an anti depressent, they help some. I personally have been working on just accepting this new reality, who I have been is gone and now it's time to figure out who I am. Find a way to love yourself and the rest comes. Much easier said than done. Hope this helps.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Sounds a bit like the anhedonia that can follow for a while after quitting alcohol. It generally passes in about 90 days.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Sounds a bit like the anhedonia that can follow for a while after quitting alcohol. It generally passes in about 90 days.
I have not heard this term before. . . it does indeed sound like what I am experiencing. Thank you.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I really didn't want to go back on an anti Depressant but I think it's best that I do for a while.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I was not an every day drinker, more like a few times a week binge heavy drinker and I felt this way for many weeks after quitting.

I still do at times, but it is better than feeling sick and miserable.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Misscoastal, I was a binge drinker too.

I didn't feel any drive, or energy, or motivation in early sobriety.

Don't use motivation as measure of your sobriety success.

This motivation is quite a moody lady - sometimes shows up, sometimes not. But if you stick to your goal doesn't matter what, eventually she will become more easygoing.

Best wishes to you.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

sva777 and MidnightBlue. . . as binge drinkers, did you use AA or did you find another method to help you abstain.

I notcied that their is an "open" AA meeting this evening in English where I live. . . I don't know if it's worthwhile going along or not. . .
Old 04-09-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

sva777 and MidnightBlue. . . as binge drinkers, did you use AA or did you find another method to help you abstain? (If you don't mind me asking of course)

I noticed that there is an "open" AA meeting this evening in English where I live. . . I don't know if it's worthwhile going along or not. . .

I am so glad that other people have felt this way. :-)
Old 04-09-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Arrrghhh. Sorry for the duplication!
Old 04-09-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Adventurer

It is okay, no I have not gone to AA as of yet. I use this forum for support and I have a plan I wrote down, this has goals, reminders of how awful things were in case I have cravings and escape plans to utilize for bad situations.

I also have support from my family which is a big help. I plan on using AA as another tool when needed.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I must admit I don't feel the urge to go to AA yet wither. The problem for me is that my family are back home in Scotland.

I think I might use your idea to have "reminders" as to the negative effects/consequences.

Thanks
Old 04-09-2015, 02:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Years of drinking is going to take time to heal, the body can't do it in a matter of weeks!!

Hang in there!!