Notices

Three Weeks In, Major Fatigue

Old 04-07-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Three Weeks In, Major Fatigue

Hello,

Looking for experience and advice. I have been doing fairly well with abstaining and have not have had a lot of health issues. However, a couple of days ago I started getting really fatigued all of a sudden. Around 6 or 7 PM I get very tired, like I want to hibernate.

Has anyone had this experience?

I am also craving sugar, too, but I know that is typical.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, I think our bodies have a lot of adjusting to do, but it would probably be a good idea to talk to your dr, if you haven't already.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I slept for 3 or 4 months. ..I was so exhausted all the time. Best to check with your dr, but I think for me, it was my body healing from all the abuse by alcohol. All I wanted to do was sleep. Long naps when I could and to bed early. It does pass! All of a sudden. ...you will start feeling better!
You are doing great, pouncer. Keep up the good work. ..it is so worth it!
Old 04-07-2015, 07:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I remember days 19-28 or so I was tired - feeling low and had headaches. The fatigue went away at a month.

You're doing great.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have a similar fatigue too -- it just washes over! Also not sure if it's part of a chronic illness of mine or my brain/body adjusting to sobriety. Went to the dr. today so shall see... but wow, I could sleep ALL day.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Pouncer, yes, always wanting a nap or to bed very early. I have always "listened to my body" as it usually knows best. Food and sleep. just my 2 cents.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I get super tired on the commute back from work (day 23) like I've been awake for 24 hours. So yea, same deal for me!
Old 04-07-2015, 07:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was very tired for the first month. Even if I slept for 12 hours, I was still really tired.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yup

Exact same here

Body and brain healing. Its a good thing
Old 04-07-2015, 07:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

It was constant fatigue for me for a few months - I wondered if I'd ever get my energy back - but I did

Hang on there pouncer

D
Old 04-07-2015, 07:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the feedback. The fatigue is oppressive. Sobriety a couple of weeks ago was defined by insomnia and now it is hypersomnia. I have been drinking coffee too with my ADHD meds and many times coffee makes me sleepy. I think I will cut out coffee for a while.

I read a couple of paper that suggest neurorehabilitation is in full force around a month of sobriety. That process takes up a lot of energy, I am sure, as well as vitamins. It seems that I should be limiting my intake of sweets and start eating better.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The fatigue set in at a week or a little more for me. And it was awful.

It did last about thee weeks. But things get better, Pouncer. Hang in there -- make sure to drink lots of water.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Chances

Hi Pouncer,
At three weeks I was so fatigued I was concerned I was suffering chronic fatigue or some other medical condition. A few others when I posted about it had similar experiences so it is extremely normal.
I found drinking sugar drink (coke) did help. It was affective if I drank it mid day onwards up to 4 cans a day. (Some other recommend cakes etc, but ultimately sugar hits seem to help)
Moving forward and learning I will say that I understand that we have damaged ourselves so withdrawals symptoms are mandatory. Sugar may help but we have to ride the storm. Remember that alcohol is basically a sugar and many are high in carbs - eliminating that from your system is actually a massive change in you dietary intake of sugars and carbs. It would also be prudent to point out that alcoholics are usually low in vitamin B - so taking a supplement is helpful and make sure you eat red meat 2 times a week at minimum. (Vitamin B deficiency will cause or increase fatigue / Red meat is a major source of Vitamin B)
Overall however what you are experiencing is normal and will probably improve after 2 weeks / 3 at most is the usually.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Pouncer during the winter of 2013 (Australia) I could have slept for the Olympics. I stopped drinking in March by mid-May I was exhausted at the end of each day, most nights I slept 9 or 10 hours. As the days started getting longer in July I came out of it and started sleeping normally again. Other than needing to sleep a lot I felt fine physically and I was eating well and walking 20-30 minutes a day.

Are you eating well (real nutrition and plenty of water), exercising and getting plenty of sleep? If you are and you are feeling fine then I would say it's your body starting to heal itself as mine was. BUT, if you don't feel right then I'd suggest getting it checked.

It seems to me that our bodies and minds must go through a tremendous healing process and they can't do that without the time to repair.

At almost-60, two years later, my health has never been better.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ahh. That beautiful early sobriety fatigue. I slept like a rock. I just relaxed into that tiredness. Just went slow. Tried to be super deliberate. Good luck and keep going!
Old 04-08-2015, 04:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am just over 3 weeks too and always exhausted and sleepy but I cannot sleep properly at all at night along with crazy dreams. All other withdrawl has eased up though. I am on an anti d maybe that is causing it not sure.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I remember being very very tired for a while myself. I think it's just our bodies adjusting to our new normal. Good news it, it will pass. And the even better news, you'll most likely start sleeping the best you've slept in years.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Me too.
Eat very well and I suggest not relying on sugar or coffee too much.
That overstimulates--try herbal tea and light exercise.

Yoga was very helpful.

It will pass, but try to allow yourself to sleep without any guilt or regret.
Body needs time and support.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm on the same timeline as you, Pouncer, and am experiencing much the same in regards to fatigue. Forcing myself to exercise has helped, but I have been going to bed early as possible and taking multiple naps on the weekend.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Major Fatigue was the commanding officer to my drill sergeant - Sergeant Stuffed.

I was very tired most nights a couple of weeks in after joining Sober Squad. Most of the lads were.

But General Lethargy kept giving us inspirational speeches on how we'd feel better if we just kept up with the training.

I've transferred to a position under Colonel Cardio and my blood I'd beginning to pump with a bit more force.

Keep at it old chum and you'll be around with the rest of us when we see those dirty hun take a thrashing