Notices

Wanting to stop

Old 04-06-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wanting to stop

I only drink on the weekends, but when I do I binge. I hate the feeling afterwards and always say I am done and then the weekend rolls around and I do it again. I know part if it is because I am board, but I can't stop. Does anyone have any recommendations of how to stop for good?? It doesn't happens every weekend so I know I am strong enough to stop for a while, but then I start all over again.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Emily!! You'll find loads of support and advice here on SR!!
Old 04-06-2015, 02:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not easy to stop drinking alcohol, but it will be worth it. Get rid of all the alcohol in your home and don't buy anymore. Make plans to do something very different for this coming weekend, so you stay away from people and places where you would normally be drinking. Read around the boards here and learn about alcoholism and how we get through the early days.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Emily! I know exactly what you mean because that is how I am. I could take or leave alcohol most of the time, but when I do drink, it gets baaaad. Not every time, but often enough. And after going back and forth with quitting for about two years now, I can tell you it only gets worse. I had to cut out drinking entirely, because even though I was only bingeing on the weekends (and not even every weekend) the impact it was having on my life was felt all the time. Mistakes I made, things I said, hangovers that were getting longer and more intense...

This site is great. I am not an AA person, although maybe one day I might be. Going to meetings can be a good use of time to distract from drinking. And what Anna said, MAKE PLANS. Sober plans, of course. I have to, especially if I know my friends are out partying and I don't go with. It's easier to decline now, as I am just older and not as into it as I used to be, but I still get antsy knowing that my friends are "having a good time" (if you can call it that) and I'm not. So if something is coming up that I know I shouldn't take part in (even things I am not at all interested in taking part in) I HAVE to make plans to do something, even if it is just a conscious decision to stay in and watch a movie I've been meaning to. Or exercise, or cook dinner or anything really that doesn't involve drinking.

This forum is a great asset. Sometimes if I am bored or antsy, I just come on here and read and respond to posts. It strengthens my resolve, reminds me why I quit and makes me feel better being able to contribute to worries others have about their own problems. If you ever want to talk or air your concerns, post here or you can PM me. I know all about weekend binges but I am trying to not be such an expert. 3 weeks today and you'll be there soon!
Old 04-06-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Court jester

What Anna said.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know what you are saying about it getting worse!! I have noticed my body does not handle alcohol well at all anymore and it does get worse each time. I am ready to stop and hopefully this will be it!! I will definitely read up on here and do my best to stay busy. I know I can do it, I just have to actually do it!!!
Old 04-06-2015, 03:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Emily
Old 04-06-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hey emily all the best a fellow weekend abuser here my problem was the binges lasting for 2/3 days, costing loads of money and then having that paranoid feeling all week about what I might have said or done when off my trolley.

Good luck :_