Notices

AA... Seriously, it came down to this..?

Old 04-06-2015, 01:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA... Seriously, it came down to this..?

During my last sober stint I was adviced repeatedly to go to a meeting.

My reply was always "I've got this, no worries. If I relapse again (as if!) I'll check out AA."

Well, Easter got the better of me. Putting my money where my mouth is, I'm checking out AA. Not really sure if you can just show up..? There's not an open meeting for several weeks. In my city there is one group, having one meeting a week, on Tuesdays.

This is really uncharted territory, and I'm not sure what to make of it. I've been saying I'm an alcoholic for more than a year, but doing this makes it feel a lot more real.

Haven't had a drink in over 24 hours though, so guess I can say this is day 2, and I'm feeling ok.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Stella, I believe an open meeting is open to anyone. Closed meetings, to my knowledge are for alcoholics. you only need a desire to quit drinking. My best advise is that you as soon as possible. Get acquainted. Go early, introduce yourself around. Stay late and help clean up. Get names, numbers and literature.

Good luck and good job on taking care of yourself.

Love from Lenina
Old 04-06-2015, 01:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good idea. Yes, you can just show up, and you don't need to wait for an open meeting. If you're an alcoholic you can also attend closed meetings, at least where I'm from.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you, Lenina. It feels a little scary to be meeting people face to face. No idea what to expect, I see in this forum that people have very different experiences. Crossing my fingers that this group is ok, they're the only one in town.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes Stella

D
Old 04-06-2015, 02:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

All that's required to attend any AA meeting is a desire to stop drinking. Tell people there it's your first meeting. Tell US how it went.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

'It came down to this'?

Well gee.... It came down to trying to be a part of a community of people who understand, a program that works and a place of support in building a better life?

How tragic.

My suggestion is to lay aside the gloomy attitude and show up to that first meeting with an openness, a curiosity about what this AA thing has to offer in your life.

It's really not so horrible.

In fact, it's pretty wonderful.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for your responses. I was worried I would be told to come back some other time. Guess I'll just turn up and hope to see some friendly faces.

I see they have step meetings too, not really sure how those work..? I see some people here saying they're starting step work after 90 days of sobriety..?
Old 04-06-2015, 02:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
'It came down to this'?

Well gee.... It came down to trying to be a part of a community of people who understand, a program that works and a place of support in building a better life?
I know... I was contemplation writing a disclaimer. I hope it didn't get lost in translation that I'm actually getting off my high horse and berating myself for feeling "above" AA in my previous attempts at sobriety.

It just makes everything feel very real and scary, and actually having to ask for help makes me feel very small. Which is all good. I was "saving" AA as a last measure, guess I'm finally there.

No offense was intended.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Stella, if you can, get a sponsor ASAP. Start your Step work ASAP. The Step work is the program of AA. that's the work and that's where the recovery kicks in. See if you can get a temporary sponsor if you can't get a full time one right off.

Try some different kinds of meetings.

Love from Lenina
Old 04-06-2015, 03:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StellaPolaris View Post
I know... I was contemplation writing a disclaimer. I hope it didn't get lost in translation that I'm actually getting off my high horse and berating myself for feeling "above" AA in my previous attempts at sobriety. It just makes everything feel very real and scary, and actually having to ask for help makes me feel very small. Which is all good. I was "saving" AA as a last measure, guess I'm finally there. No offense was intended.
I wasn't offended.

I was too good for AA for decades myself.

Through two almost three DUIs, two failed marriages, nearly losing my job and my children....

I was still too god for AA.

Until I finally woke up and realized how good AA would be for me.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

You can go to any meeting. Also keep in mind not all meetings are the same. My first few were not great and not full of healthy people but I kept hitting different ones and I like almost all of them. Never have been back to the ones where I first went.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

AA has saved a lot of lives mine included.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tamerua View Post
You can go to any meeting. Also keep in mind not all meetings are the same. My first few were not great and not full of healthy people but I kept hitting different ones and I like almost all of them. Never have been back to the ones where I first went.
That's the part I'm a little worried about... I live in a smallish town, only the one group with one weekly meeting. Then again, I guess it means anybody can fit in..? Hopefully..? Either way, I'll give it a try, going all in.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Open meetings are for anyone, closed meetings are for people with a desire to stop drinking. Just go. No appointment necessary. I've found it to be a welcome safe haven from drinking and I've met and made friends along the way. People in real life I can share my day and concerns with.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm finding myself looking forward to this, thanks to your replies. I obviously can't do this by myself, so I've decided to be humble and accept any help I can get.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Originally Posted by StellaPolaris View Post
I'm finding myself looking forward to this, thanks to your replies. I obviously can't do this by myself, so I've decided to be humble and accept any help I can get.
And that, Stella, is how this program works! You've got this!
Old 04-07-2015, 07:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Stella, I'm right there with you. I'm going to my first meeting, hopefully today. I've had some spells of sobriety over the years, but I want to be free of alcohol completely.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

AA saved my life. simple as that.

I hope you find what you need x
Old 04-07-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Stella! Keep us posted please.