Notices

So happy to be sober tonight! :d

Old 04-05-2015, 12:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So happy to be sober tonight! :d

I was driving home from my moms thinking of work related things I need to get done. Then I started to think what would I be doing if I were still drinking. I would probably be either drinking at home watching soccer games, meeting up with friends after my moms or hitting up a bar solo and meet new people. I would have spent $60-$150 on the weekend depending where I drank and if I bought people rounds. I would wake up with regret thinking of why I drove drunk, depressed because I can't control myself but want to keep drinking, most likely my gf would be upset at me, my insides would hurt, my head would feel fuzzy and unable to function well....

I DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT ANY OF THAT! I am 60 days in, two whole months

I said I would stop for 100 days but I really like this not worrying about what I did last night or waking up without a brain. My job is going well and my life is going well.

I want to go all the way to the end of life without drinking. I was scared at first. I really didn't think I could make it this far. But it hit me today that I really don't need booze. I am happy (or neutral) without it!

To all newcomers: Yes you can stop! I have
Old 04-05-2015, 12:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 60 days GWTF

D
Old 04-05-2015, 12:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the good vibes, goeswiththeflow! I needed that.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was in the same boat as you, GWTF, not too long ago (last week). Spending money I didn't have on booze I didn't need. I've already, in the three days I have been officially sober, have saved around $70-100.

It's rather sickening when you start adding up the numbers.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pouncer View Post
Thanks for the good vibes, goeswiththeflow! I needed that.
Glad to hear!

Originally Posted by xenodoma View Post
I was in the same boat as you, GWTF, not too long ago (last week). Spending money I didn't have on booze I didn't need. I've already, in the three days I have been officially sober, have saved around $70-100.

It's rather sickening when you start adding up the numbers.
I haven't fixed up my finances from the end of last year when I lost a job (actually because of drinking), I got depressed and let my personal financial record keeping go to the toilet. I know I spent so much on booze, especially last months of the year, I am curious to know how much I spent on booze, and how much I have saved since

When I get to those figures I will share them with you and SR. I may not get to them this weekend since I have to catch up some stuff with work.

Keep up the good work! At my day three, I was finally starting to not feel depressed from the stuff I had done during the weekend and the damage I had again done to my body. It was the first day I didn't have withdrawal symptoms which felt awesome. I also felt my brain had come back. Sometime I think my day three should be my day one because it felt like the booze I had drank was finally out of my system. But I go by the day I decided to kick alcohol out of my life.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Having found this site, GWTF, I have one massive thing to be grateful for: I never let it get to a point that I felt like I wanted to die. I see that a lot here, and in talking with other sober individuals (one who was an alcoholic and another who just doesn't drink; both worked in rehab facilities) and a lot of individuals don't realize it is a problem until they hit such a solid wall that it was incredibly hard to pick up the pieces.

I screwed up last week. Got into legal trouble. But all the facts that were told to me by the arresting officer, I literally had a moment of clarity. Sat back in the chair and just mouthed 'wow' to myself. That is when I decided it was high-time to put the booze on the back burner. I was and am clearly unable to moderate myself due to many different issues (past and present) and I probably wont ever feel comfortable moderating myself in the coming years, if I ever decide to "try moderation".

During this entire ordeal it was revealed to me that my father, when he was in his twenties, had a raging alcohol problem. No one knows what made him quit cold turkey except him, and I am not about to pry, but I know that if he can do it, so can I, and in my entire existence I have seen him drink twice: once at a Christmas party when I was roughly 10-11 and once again when I was 22 when he nearly burned down a multi-million dollar house when he was doing restorative work on it.

You guys keep me going, and successes like yours, GWTF, make me all the more confident that it is not only a possibility, but the right move for me.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I hope everything will workout for you on the legal side xeno, I hope it wasn't to heavy of a mess.

I have many ragers and former ragers in my family. My uncle, the eldest of my dads siblings, was the worst. I never asked him why he quit but I can make good assumptions based on seeing how bad he got why he decided to quit. My old man still drinks, he was on a good one today. He was happy though.

I had a lot of anxiety about quitting at first but let me tell you: I have yet to wake up with any regret from quitting. My best to you xeno and good luck with everything. I am here if you need to talk (write lol)
Old 04-05-2015, 01:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Haha I appreciate that. I hope the legal side goes smoothly for me (2nd DWI). I already know I'm going to get hit financially hard and essentially be inconvenienced for quite a while, but at least I'm alive... And didn't wreck or do something even more heinous. I made my bed, I will sleep in it, and take it one step at a time.

And I have -never- regretted being sober. Just being bored :P Many-a-nights I've regretted from boozing too hard.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go on 60 days