Notices

Well, they kicked me out.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Well, they kicked me out.

I lived with a friend-- more like a brother to me, the kind of guy you'd mutually do anything for-- for 14 years. He was an avid drinker when I met him, but it was several years before he convinced me to try alcohol of any kind. He's the kind of guy who won't drink anything red label-- if it's vodka it's gotta be Grey Goose or something.

He's had other roommates and we've all mostly gotten along, as people do, but this most recent one, we'll call him 'S', did not get along with me, nor I with him. Finally, one day S said to him, essentially, "He's an alcoholic and I will not live with him anymore."
My friend's rationality was, "Yeah, I get drunk everyday, but I'm not an alcoholic; you are, and I won't have you in my house."

So my best friend threw me out of his house. I walked by his liquor cabinet every single day, but I'm more of a beer type of drinker. I was in a hurry to find a place to live-- he gave me 30 days or he'd throw my belongings out on the street-- and the only place I could find (and barely afford) doesn't accept pets, so I had to leave my beloved cat behind in their care.

I suppose I wanted to write this post because I feel so incredibly alone, and yet I find a place like this and see that there are many of us out there, and we deserve respect and compassion.

Don't let this happen to you.
Thank you all for being here with your stories of failure and success; they make me feel less alone and less worthless.

Jay
Old 04-04-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jay, I do hope this is a wakeup call for you. Have you decided to stop drinking? If so, then you will find lots of support here.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There isn't anything more to this? If not that's a pretty cold person. Best thing you can do for yourself is get sober so you don't have to depend on living with anyone.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Court jester

What part of FL are you in?
Old 04-04-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey FLGuy. Glad you found a new place.

Hope you can remain friends.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

I agree with Anna's post
Old 04-04-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I had to ask my oldest friend to leave because of his drinking, and this was before I quit. I drank, but his drinking and the chaos it was causing him, he was bringing that into my house. So I said, "Go, come back when you are sober."

He didn't quit. I never saw him again.

I'm sorry for your circumstances. But I hope it's the spur to get you to seek sobriety.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Doesn't sound like a friend you want to have, your going to be better off out of the situation!
Old 04-04-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by djmchammered View Post
Doesn't sound like a friend you want to have, your going to be better off out of the situation!
Ditto!!! ^^^ Don't worry about him. Just get sober and get "your" life together. Welcome.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

FL Guy -

Do you think this is your "wake up call"? Like they are saying in the above post, take this opportunity to stop drinking and get healthy.

It will do you no good to focus on how others have wronged you. Start on the path to get your life on a better path. You may look back years from now and see how this was the beginning of your new better life.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for what happened FLGuy - but like everyone else I can't help but see this as an opportunity for you to get yourself together, stay sober - and find a better place so you can get your cat back

D
Old 04-04-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Jay, I do hope this is a wakeup call for you. Have you decided to stop drinking? If so, then you will find lots of support here.
A wakeup call? Seriously? I can barely afford to eat, let alone drink. I've lost 20 lbs and I am in constant threat of eviction. Meanwhile the 'non-alcoholic' pours himself screwdrivers every night with his boyfriend.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Noones attacking you FLGuy.

All people are saying is drinking is not going to make this situation any better or help you get to a better place.

was it fair you got thrown out - by what you posted, no - but it's done man.
That's not actually your biggest problem right now - y'know?

D
Old 04-04-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I get what you're saying, but drinking isn't a problem when I can't afford to do it. I can't even get food stamps, because I'm not working enough hours. I'm going to end up homeless. I don't know why I thought this place could help.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

None of that was in the thread when Anna posted though...we're not the enemy.

I get you're frustrated.

I'm not in FL so I have no local knowledge but I hope others will.

Check for all the government help you're entitled for, check out food banks, local charities, all that kind of stuff.

I've been there - but you can get through this.

D
Old 04-04-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

"Jay, I do hope this is a wakeup call for you. Have you decided to stop drinking? If so, then you will find lots of support here."

That was Anna's reply exactly. I'm more worried about being able to eat than to drink now. I could stand to lose a few pounds, but being a skinny homelesss person isn't much better than a chubby one.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Not for nothing but this is a sobriety forum...we can help you with the sobriety but not with your job or rent. What were you looking for from the forum? Maybe if we knew we could give you answers you find more appropriate.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

we can help you with the sobriety but not with your job or rent.
I think we can help with the other stuff if we have links or experience to share

FLguy I apologise if you feel we weren't compassionate enough. Chalk it up to miscommunication all around.

I hope you'll check out a few of the things I mentioned. Best wishes.

D
Old 04-04-2015, 06:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You can apply for food stamps online. Here is the website:
Welcome to EBT | Florida Department of Children and Families

Hope this helps
Old 04-04-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Della1968 View Post
Not for nothing but this is a sobriety forum...we can help you with the sobriety but not with your job or rent. What were you looking for from the forum? Maybe if we knew we could give you answers you find more appropriate.
Sorry I posted to begin with.