Notices

Tapering or Turkey

Old 04-04-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tapering or Turkey

Things didnt go so well with the tapering, managed the day after my first post following day I was back at it. Trying for one day on one day off at the minute, I know but surely its a bit better.

Usually when I've quit things in the past its been after a hospital stay or an arrest, and by the time im out I've usually got a couple of days sober under my belt.

This seems really hard, easy access to my DOC and the fact I can hide the high is not helping with my quest for sobriety.

Thing is cold turkey, im really irritable and sick, I don't row with people but they keep asking if im ok? Why you so quiet etc. And my jobs quite hard.

Even though I probably know the answer, id be thankfull for any ideas
Old 04-04-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Court jester

Unfortunately, there are no easy solutions to this one. You have to quit, period. If you are concerned about withdrawals, seek medical guidance for your initial quit week. I have yet to hear anyone who has had success with tapering, but that's only my limited experience. The good news is that the physical discomfort of quitting passes after the first 3-4 days and gradually gets better over time.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Iwalktheline nice to meet you Best to seek medical advice as a hospital detox is a lot safer than cold turkey
Old 04-04-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
waking down

I tried to taper, but it didn't work out. My tapering, if you could call it that, was very rapid: A fifth of scotch one night, four glasses of wine the next day, and a shot of vodka the last day. The wine and vodka were really just because I was still hungover from the scotch. It worked for me.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by IWalkTheLine View Post
Things didnt go so well with the tapering,
And that is likely to continue if you keep trying.

So just stop. Put up with the discomfort of early withdrawal. If you have medical concerns, what are your options?
Old 04-04-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Put down the drink and pick up new sober actions. That's the Way.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

With my DOC I had better luck doing a taper under medical care. I talked to an addictions doc and that definitely helped.

With some drugs it's deadly to self detox, with others-it is just really uncomfortable.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Can one really taper off of alcohol? I mean, I don't think I could do it, every intention of controlling my liquor results in me drinking to the point of passing out or blacking out. I could not taper off alcohol.
I must stop altogether.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Tapering requires extreme discipline.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Gobble Gobble!
Old 04-04-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Para View Post
Can one really taper off of alcohol? I mean, I don't think I could do it, every intention of controlling my liquor results in me drinking to the point of passing out or blacking out. I could not taper off alcohol.
I must stop altogether.
I think some people can do it. My doc recommended I have a beer a day for a couple of days after coming off a really bad stretch. Was shaking bad, sweating and hallucinating. But I went cold turkey and stayed in bed.

The idea of tapering is that you don't get seizures. But do it with your doctor's advice if you do.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If I was single I could just sweat it out for a few days, maybe I need a break from everyone until im sorted. My problem is opiates BTW thats why its gonna be hard to hide the withdrawals.