one obsession for another

Old 04-03-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

one obsession for another

Is it common for an A to get sober and then pour all he is into another obsession?

he is working out all the time now, his body is a temple. yadda yadda. he works out every day for 2 hrs.

and he is going to church all the time, talking about God all the time. He leaves me a bible verse every day on my vmail. he is now working with the youth at his church.

I am happy for him, do not get me wrong, but neither of those things were part of our life together. So, it is strange to see such a passion.

he still has no job, it has been 2 months sober now, he still is at a house for homeless vets, they usually only let you stay there for 60 days, but they said he could stay for 90. He isn't actively trying to change either of those things.

Don't get me wrong, it isn't my place to try to help. and I am not. His sister called me today and I could tell she was trying to engage me to go back into that "mode" of helping him. But I just told her thanks for the call.

But between all of us... I hope it is a good step, not a bad one. I really do want the best for him.

PS he has an anklet on to monitor his drinking, he was sentenced to wear it for a yr, he is trying to petition them to let him take it off after 6 months of good behavior
Old 04-03-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very common. It's called "trading up addictions." Anything to escape unwanted feelings, boredom, anger. And, it's not a bad thing as long as someone stays sober. After a while, the craving for escape diminishes as long the addict has therapy or a program.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks he told me he does not like AA, but he is going to meetings. he likes celebrate recovery, or something like that, and SOAR.

glad to hear it is a positive thing.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes. I've done it in my whole life up to now. Sometimes more than one simultaneously. The worst/most dangerous was definitely my alcoholism, but still, yes.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi DD, as a recovered A, I can tell you it's normal. With me it's all about what I eat/drink so my substitutes were sugary, and tea And SR.

It annoys me a bit that i can't just not have any 'addictions' but as they are less harmful than drinking I feel I'm in front.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Exercise and church are definitely better addictions than alcohol. He's probably trying to figure out how to develop coping skills by doing positive things. Nothing wrong with that. If it's helping him right now it's a good thing.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes I think it's common. I recently saw an interview with a fellow by the name of Alice Cooper. Has was a pretty big time music star of some sort. That is no longer. He turned to alcohol and drugs. Got help. Now he says instead of alcohol, he is addicted to golf. Plays it like a religion.

Hey....I guess if someone needs to be addicted, I'd much rather hear that your ex is addicted to something that won't harm others and is all about his addiction that is his to actually enjoy.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks guys Like I said, we don't really talk, but he calls me every day. I am not at a point where I answer. Not to punish him, I am just not there yet. But I listen to his vmails, and he says a prayer and reads me a daily devotion.

I am glad he is on the healthy road, for him, not for me. we are done. but.., between us, I just wish he would spend some time looking for a place to live and a job too. he doesn't seem to be doing that. thanks all
Old 04-04-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Call me a cynic but him calling you and reading prayers seems like a manipulation.

Ever consider changing your number if you are serious about not getting back together?

Addicts are very crafty about wearing down people over time with promises of change.
Maybe they are real, and I think many times the addict believes they are, but the test of time seems to break many resolves.

Listening to his prayers and voice mail every day keeps you stuck.
Is it the best thing for you to be his listening post?
Old 04-04-2015, 07:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Call me a cynic but him calling you and reading prayers seems like a manipulation.

Listening to his prayers and voice mail every day keeps you stuck.
Is it the best thing for you to be his listening post?
TY for going here as I felt like if I did, I would be met with some disapproval here. If these things are working for him, then great. However if he is pressing this on you, it can become a new offensive addiction.

I am happy when people find God in their lives if it helps them lead a better life. But that does not mean I want them to expect me to listen to them about it. They can make me just as uncomfortable as a drunk. You just want to avoid being around them.

And yes it could certainly be a manipulation he is using to get you to let him in.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thanks guys, a lot to think about. I don't know . that is the honest truth. I am 45 and I have never had an alcoholic in my life before. So, this is all so new to me. I don't hate him, I am not that angry anymore. I am just hurt, plain hurt, the cheating mostly. I think it is really important to him to keep in contact with me. Friendship seems to be very important to him with me. I do not try to hurt him or use things against him. I am glad he is sober now, 2 months. I am still just tired... that is the best word to use.. I am tired. he wore me out, and all the other stuff just seems to be sitting inside me, not able to come out yet, I am so tired
Old 04-04-2015, 07:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes it's normal. Sounds like he's switched addictions, from Alcohol to working out and church.

Originally Posted by daydreamer0217 View Post
Is it common for an A to get sober and then pour all he is into another obsession?

he is working out all the time now, his body is a temple. yadda yadda. he works out every day for 2 hrs.

and he is going to church all the time, talking about God all the time. He leaves me a bible verse every day on my vmail. he is now working with the youth at his church.

I am happy for him, do not get me wrong, but neither of those things were part of our life together. So, it is strange to see such a passion.

he still has no job, it has been 2 months sober now, he still is at a house for homeless vets, they usually only let you stay there for 60 days, but they said he could stay for 90. He isn't actively trying to change either of those things.

Don't get me wrong, it isn't my place to try to help. and I am not. His sister called me today and I could tell she was trying to engage me to go back into that "mode" of helping him. But I just told her thanks for the call.

But between all of us... I hope it is a good step, not a bad one. I really do want the best for him.

PS he has an anklet on to monitor his drinking, he was sentenced to wear it for a yr, he is trying to petition them to let him take it off after 6 months of good behavior
Old 04-04-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Wait a minute--didn't you say this guy was seeing someone else?

WHY are you still listening? Why are you following his every move in his recovery, trying to figure out whether he's making healthy choices?

I know you guys have a long history, and I get hoping he gets well, regardless of the status of your relationship, but I don't see where this scrutinizing his every move, and allowing him to leave you devotional VMs, is good for you.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I see what you are saying, like I said, this is all new. so I am learning. I am not scrutinizing his every move, I am not following him around, I am repeating what he left on my vmails. thats all. and yes he is seeing someone else. I dont know what I am doing. just trying to get by I guess. I am getting out of bed, smiling to my kids, going about my day, but feel completely empty inside. that is the truth. I am going to meetings, healing, and talking with friends. Just trying to smile most days
Old 04-04-2015, 08:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

i thought this was a plac e of help and comfort, not people twisting your words around, like the A's do. sorry my bad. I will look elsewhere. take care all. I wish you the best. but I am out of here. I need support, not criticism
Old 04-04-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A work in progress

No, what I mean is that you're analyzing what he is doing, what it means, is it normal--that sort of thing can keep you stuck. As can listening to his daily devotional messages. That's keeping you all wrapped up in his life.

If you want to get UNSTUCK, and start making room in your life for positive things, you have to step AWAY from the alcoholic.

You can block his communications and tell his sister that you don't want to discuss him (that's assuming you are friends with her outside of the fact that she's his sister and you were in a relationship with him--if that's not the case, I'd suggest ending communication with her, too).

If you feel you owe him an explanation, you can tell him that you honestly wish him the best with his recovery, but that you are moving on and do not want to hear from him again. Then BLOCK him.

It may feel strange at first, but believe me, it's the only way to move on from this feeling of being stuck and empty.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by daydreamer0217 View Post
i thought this was a plac e of help and comfort, not people twisting your words around, like the A's do. sorry my bad. I will look elsewhere. take care all. I wish you the best. but I am out of here. I need support, not criticism
I'm not sure where you are getting that anyone is twisting your words. I'm sorry if you don't feel supported. My recollection is that you posted only a few days ago that you were "DONE." What I see here is major manipulation on his part, which is starting to work on you.

That's where we are coming from. And yes, we've all gone back and forth on our feelings about the alcoholic. But if, indeed, you are "done" and hoping to heal from that, listening to his VMs and trying to figure out his progress in recovery is not an effective way to do that. We are speaking from our own experience, here, not just randomly dishing out advice about something we know nothing about.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes it is normal. The RA in my life traded alcohol for church and AA. When that excitement wore off he traded it for women and relationships. And now he's mainly just "busy." Even after two years I think he had trouble just being by himself.

And to the original poster, this is a tough subject and a tough life to live. Sometimes people's responses will make you feel better, take it. Sometimes they will **** you off, leave it. Take what you need and leave the rest. People don't know your life, it's your journey to take. There is no wrong way!
Old 04-04-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Honestly, I don't see anyone here being critical of you, but just trying to help you find clarity for yourself from people who have been through it. This IS a place of support and understanding -maybe something got misunderstood in some way?
Old 04-04-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Twisting words? Criticism? Where??