Notices

5 days sober now

Old 04-03-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 days sober now

Today is day #5 sober. My withdrawal symptoms have been fairly minimal. Just some fairly strong anxiety a few times so far, and my hands are still shaking. No other physical symptoms. Instead of riding it out alone in my apartment I drove 4.5 hours to my parents house on Wednesday. Plan on driving back home Saturday. I am 100% committed to staying sober. I don't care how much my own damn brain is going to try and trick me back to drinking! I've kind of separated my brain into 2 parts. The real me brain and the devious evil brain. So every time I want to drink and the evil brain comes up with this rational reason why I should, the real me brain just tells it to f off and then reminds me that no good will come of it. In fact the result will be the opposite. The evil brain seems to have a myriad of reasons to drink with convincing arguments. So far the real me brain has only one defense. It basically just says f off to the evil brain and says things will get better. Seems to be working though. Big problem is I just started dating this wonderful girl. She doesn't believe that I am quitting for good. She doesn't trust me and that sucks. Everyone else is being encouraging and supportive for the most part except her. Her not believing, ignoring some texts, and no guarantee she will even see me when I get back is very stressful. Should I just give up on contacting her for a month or so I work on myself?
Old 04-03-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Ramsey.

Welcome to SR!

And congrats on 5 days sober and decision to quit for good.

What you call "evil brain" is addictive voice (AV for short ) - something that want you destroyed and dead. Don't listen to it. Ever. It will tell lots of BS. Ignore.

As for the girl - hard to give advice about relationships, but IMHO, sobriety is Number 1 priority now. It is about saving your health and life in the long run. Early sobriety is stressful as it is along with other life issues. You surely don't need additional stress right now.

Again, in my opinion, working on yourself may be a better option.

Best wishes to you.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Focus on yourself for now. As others will probably say, you need to save your own a$$ first, because if you don't, alcohol will take you down with the ship. Everything else is secondary if you are serious about sobriety long term.

Lastly, if you just started dating this girl and she already doesn't believe you....well. Just sayin. (my comment is more about her, than you)
Old 04-03-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks. Yeah I think it will probably just go south with her anyway so I will just focus on not drinking and filling my time with good activities. I plan on going to the gym when I get home tomorrow and one sober friend wants me to come directly to his house when I get back
Old 04-03-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just focus on yourself mate a girl will screw up your minds right now. you will need all the focus you have in you to stay strong and tell off your evil brain (AV =alcoholic /addictive voice) for trying to trick you.

I'm 77 days now have hardly got that AV talking to me anymore but yesterday she was whispering to me how it would be great to edit my photos with a beer like the old days.
Before in the first month I would have gotten very upset and confused and stressed by it. Now I listen to it and just let it go, the foolush voice is getting weaker as my sobriety muscles grow.
I noticed it takes 500% dedication and you HAVE to stay focussed ESPECIALLY in the beginning in the early days when your sobriety muscles are not developed yet to fight back. otherwise you will fail.

Good luck, focus on yourself and your sobriety and let the girl get clise when you're abit stronger
Xo
J
Old 04-03-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks. I will stay focused on staying sober and counciously telling the evil brain to back off. I think the hardest times for me is going to be when I am driving home from work and when in my apartment alone. I'm in this for the long haul either way
Old 04-03-2015, 11:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

What reason does she have to not believe/trust you? Was she involved with you when you were drinking? If so, then having some patience would be a good idea. But, above all, you need to maintain your focus on yourself and your recovery right now.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Ramsey congrats on day 5
Old 04-03-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nice work! I'm right behind you (day 4 for me). Maybe the girl is trying to encourage you in a sort of "bet you can't do it" sort of way?
Old 04-03-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Focus on you and do this for you and you only! The rest will fall into place. Well done on your achievement so far!
Old 04-03-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I agree with the others ramsey - getting well and healing is your main priority. If things are meant to work out with her, they will. 5 days is a great triumph & we're proud of you. Better days are coming.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

welcome, ramsey, and way to go on five days!

if you go farther down the forums list to "secular connections", you can find there threads about AVRT (addictive voice recognition technique), which is all about recognizing and dealing with what you're calling your "evil brain". might really resonate with you.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good job on day 5! And I too agree with everyone, focusing on your sobriety should be your top priority. A brand new love interest can complicate things and take the focus off whats really important. Sounds like she's not really convinced your serious anyway so show her and the rest may fall into place. surround yourself with people who are going to be supportive.