Notices

sober is boring

Old 04-03-2015, 07:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

sober is boring

I started out using Oxys an soon become 3-5 pills a day user. It went on for 2 years an then I checked into a methadone clinic which I was at for a year. I recently tapped my self down to 10 mg of methadone an then dropped out. I used digoxin for 8 days an now I am 6.days clean I don't feel the body withdrawals anymore an I'm able to sleep again but my days consist of staying in bed all day I have no motivation to do anything drugs have always giving me the energy to do my daily stuff. Can anyone give any advice on what I should do or could do to help cause all I want to do is go back to using? Thanks for reading.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You have to give it time.... Life will take on a new, richer, deeper shine.

Congrats on getting clean. Stay with it.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by lakyn View Post
Can anyone give any advice on what I should do or could do...
Be patient. You're six days clean, which is great. Focus on staying clean.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Keep on keeping on . . . . and read this:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ing-drunk.html

Rest, take care of yourself. After your done healing, who knows what incredible, exciting experiences are out there for you . . .
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Lakyn nice to meet you

Exellent job on 6 days clean it will get a lot better as time goes on your doing great keep interacting get involved

hopefully see you on the forum
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hear ya. At first I felt the exact same way. I'm glad I gave sobriety time to sink in though.

With time as my mind cleared and my energy came back it got tons better. I gained the ability to look for more meaningful/fun ways to spend my time.

For now, perhaps, rest is what you need. I know I did.

Congrats on 6 days!
Old 04-03-2015, 10:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was stoned and/or drunk for 30 plus years... I have fooled around with sobering up over the years (gone for a few days or weeks here and there) but this time giving it a real go. Why? Frankly I'm getting too old for this krap (58) my body doesn't bounce back like it used to, I am recently married and it (drinking) is screwing up my marriage, and I have lost my brother and two close friends to drugs/alcohol.

All that to say sobriety is the ultimate high, and I'm not saying that to be smart a$$... all that psychedelic posin I put in my system just altered my perception of reality, art, music, nature is just as amazing (or even more so) when you are sober.

My advice to you would be MOVE! get out bed, go for a walk, go for a swim, ride a bike, go to a museum.

Not to be mean or rude (or captain obvious) but of course life is boring if you just lay in bed all day.

Hope that helps (seriously)
Old 04-03-2015, 10:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Lakyn!!
Old 04-03-2015, 11:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
JustaGuy

Originally Posted by lakyn View Post
I started out using Oxys an soon become 3-5 pills a day user. It went on for 2 years an then I checked into a methadone clinic which I was at for a year. I recently tapped my self down to 10 mg of methadone an then dropped out. I used digoxin for 8 days an now I am 6.days clean I don't feel the body withdrawals anymore an I'm able to sleep again but my days consist of staying in bed all day I have no motivation to do anything drugs have always giving me the energy to do my daily stuff. Can anyone give any advice on what I should do or could do to help cause all I want to do is go back to using? Thanks for reading.
I feel you so much. The first few days I was sober nothing was fun. Movies were boring... books were boring... hanging out was boring... conversation with others was boring... You need to be inspired by something... and be proud of yourself for what you have accomplished so far!!!

Go get some ice cream and take a walk, get out... see what the world is like. If you spend all day by yourself at home it just makes it worse. Try to go out and do anything (even if its by yourself)... pay attention to everything around you... focus on details of whats going on around you... people, plants, buildings, animals...
Old 04-03-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you're here, welcome!

Keep coming back
Old 04-03-2015, 01:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
waking down

When I detox I was at first very dull. Then I was blisteringly and painfully awake and anxious. At 15 months I am much more balanced and loving it. It takes time.

When I used to complain about being bored my mom used to tell me it was my own damn fault. Then she would tell me to go play in traffic. Little did she know that I literally and figuratively followed her advice.

My point, though, is once you get your energy back you will want to seek new interests to fill the void. Exercise and creative outlets are the two most important for me. On the rare occasions when I think about getting high I walk the dog or pick up an instrument.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This might be a silly example, but I really like this TED talk. It's actually about Traumatic Brain Injury, but I think it could be applied to a lot of tough situations like what you are experiencing. And if not, it's still an interesting talk to watch https://www.ted.com/talks/jane_mcgon...fe?language=en

Like others have said, though, give it time. I resisted sobriety for a long time thinking it was boring, that I'd never have fun without alcohol. I'm learning that I DO have fun, a lot more and a lot more enriching experiences without it. Of course, I also have to face that life isn't one big party, which I used to try to make it be when I was drinking. Sometimes life is boring, but sometimes it is awesome and I want to be clear headed to enjoy the awesomeness instead of thinking I need substances for that to happen.

You are doing great, though! Stick to it, post here when you are bored and you will eventually get your spark for life back. Your body and mind just need time to readjust
Old 04-03-2015, 01:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My advice? Don't sit in bed all day. Get up. Go for a walk. Exercise. Go to an NA or an AA meeting. Meet people. Go see a movie. Go to lunch. Go to work. Call a friend or family member. Climb a mountain. Read a book.

Sober/drunk/high are all boring if all you do is sit in bed and mope around. What you're describing is my personal nightmare.

Low energy early one is common though. You'll start feeling better soon. Just know, if you do use, you have the options of staying high/drunk for the rest of your life, or experiencing the everything you're experiencing now... AGAIN!

It gets better. Get out and do something.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 04-03-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Lakyn, it is boring. But you are alive. Keep it up, you can do this.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

My drinking life was so boring I needed to drink to tolerate it.

When I got sober I didn't realise I was still living that life for a while....sitting on my couch channel surfing or on the internet randomly searching stuff.

Build a new sober life - try new things, do things you've always wanted to do, or pick up hobbies you dropped in favour for booze.

There's really no reason to be bored

D
Old 04-03-2015, 04:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Give yourself more time to be clean before you decide it's boring. And you can get out there and find new hobbies to hold your interest.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

sober is boring..yup...so is flying in a plane that doesn't 'crash'.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Staying sober is hard. It can be boring at first. But it is worth it.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I was so bored at first!!! Now I am doing so much more than I ever did drinking. Frankly the life I was living as a drunk was boring and sad!