Notices

Royally screwed up...almost

Old 04-02-2015, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Royally screwed up...almost

After several tries, really committed back in November to staying sober. A few bumps in the road, but doing pretty good.

Fast forward to yesterday afternoon. Was drafting something for work, and decided a bourbon on the rocks wouldn't be a bad idea to make it go fast (!?!?!?!). That turned into three. Then, time to head home in heavy traffic (as usual). Guy in front of me slammed on the brakes at a red light, and I barely tapped him. Yes, just tapped...literally the only damage was a tiny dent from the bolt that holds my front license plate.

Guy I hit was from the country and wanted to call cops. Thing went normally, until cop said, I smell alcohol and you're not speaking to me directly. I swore I wasn't drinking. She let me go, but I think she had her suspicions. I got a following too close ticket.

I'm totally shaken this morning. I stood there while she was writing up the ticket thinking about all the things I was potentially about to lose. In the end, I only lost about $80 (and potentially a slight bump in insurance rates), but those drinks were NOT WORTH IT. grr
Old 04-02-2015, 07:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are lucky that is all that happened after three bourbons. I hope you can remember this instance the next time you are thinking of drinking. Glad everyone is ok.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Is avoiding the consequences of your actions going to smooth out your recovery road? Or make it easier to slip?

Time to recommit to your sobriety. Start with involving yourself in SR. Join the April class. Avoid future bumps.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

A close call to be sure. Glad no one was hurt or worse.

What would be most alarming to me about the whole incident is how you came to to the conclusion ( and made the choice ) to have a bourbon. It's never "just a few".

Have you laxed on your sobriety plan as of late? Or perhaps you need a different plan?
Old 04-02-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

doggone: I'm not sure if this helps or hurts. One thing I do know though is I was getting too confident about sobriety, thinking I had this thing basically kicked. Obviously, that's not the case. Back to the drawing board.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was just talking to a recently sober friend about the experience of driving sober and how we had to get used to the idea that there was no way under the sun that we could in anyway be pulled over for drinking. It took a while to get used to that marvelous, marvelous reality. Of course, when you start drinking again it all goes away.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by toooldfratguy View Post
One thing I do know though is I was getting too confident about sobriety, thinking I had this thing basically kicked. Obviously, that's not the case. Back to the drawing board.
Obviously. You've been a member of SR since 2005. And it's day one. That's a long time struggling to get sober. So yes, time to give serious thought to how to implement a successful recovery program. Because whatever you have been doing, hasn't been working for you.

Good luck.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

One thing I do know though is I was getting too confident about sobriety, thinking I had this thing basically kicked.
It's common to fall into that trap - i've personally done it as well. Addiction is never cured...only managed. Accepting that was a big breakthrough for me. Daily reminders and daily work in that area are very important to me too. It doesn't really matter if you are doing AA or AVRT or therapy or SR or whatever it is, but you have to keep doing it. Over time it gets easier to manage, but it is a lifelong task.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad that nobody was injured and I hope you find a plan that works for you.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Addiction is never cured...only managed.
What he said.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

After several tries, really committed back in November to staying sober. A few bumps in the road, but doing pretty good.
I was a victim to this sort of delusion for many years. See how it sounds from the outside, tooold.

Several failed tries
Finally committed to being sober
Failed to stay sober since November (a few bumps in the road)
Just had a 'at fault' traffic accident after drinking and almost got arrested
I'm doing pretty good
Old 04-02-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
quat

Obviously a good thing no one was injured , but the question I have after reading your post is, if you were home with no need to travel would those same 'bourbons on the rocks' have been worth it? is there a different calculus ?
Dont get me wrong, I got away with countless potential DUI's, facts I'm ashamed of now because in the calculus I was using then, those risks were worth it, I wanted to drink no matter the cost. I have got to a place now though , where even if I didn't have to take those kinds of risks to drink, I still wouldn't. Is that somehting you are aiming for? Or just harm reduction?
Old 04-02-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have you got a sober plan ?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-features.html
Old 04-02-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

"Almost"?

Is that because you didn't get a DUI?

I used to think the same thing. I never got a DUI and not because I didn't drink and drive, it was because I never got caught. I should have gotten dozens of them.

Time to get honest! "Almost"? I think not!
Old 04-02-2015, 05:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Gracie has a great point TOFG - you actually did screw up...you just had a very lucky break.

Like Carl says, 10 years is a long time to struggle.
I really hope this is the point in your life where you decide to change things

D
Old 04-02-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Fast forward to yesterday afternoon. Was drafting something for work, and decided a bourbon on the rocks wouldn't be a bad idea to make it go fast (!?!?!?!). That turned into three. Then, time to head home in heavy traffic (as usual). Guy in front of me slammed on the brakes at a red light, and I barely tapped him. Yes, just tapped...literally the only damage was a tiny dent from the bolt that holds my front license plate.

Guy I hit was from the country and wanted to call cops. Thing went normally, until cop said, I smell alcohol and you're not speaking to me directly. I swore I wasn't drinking. She let me go, but I think she had her suspicions. I got a following too close ticket.

I'm totally shaken this morning. I stood there while she was writing up the ticket thinking about all the things I was potentially about to lose. In the end, I only lost about $80 (and potentially a slight bump in insurance rates), but those drinks were NOT WORTH IT. grr
So consider yourself lucky! If you haven't read this yet from another thread I had on here.

"So I finally had my court date for one of the 2 DUIs I received within the last 8 months. Just a quick review it was a bumper to bumper accident in heavy traffic on the freeway. No injuries and no damages. Exchanged info and insurance info. Should've left right then and there. Instead I wait until after when this kid calls his parents and then they call the cops because the kid was claiming he had all these injuries. Neck, wrist, shoulder??? Wait I was going 5mph and there's not even any damage. So of course I get agitated which is when I should've just left. Anyway....

8 months later I go to court which was March 30th. Lawyer says they can't use my blood since it was past the limit they have to take it and maybe we can get this down to wreckless driving. Prosecutor claims well we really don't need blood to prove a DUI. So the kid I hit shows to our surprise...its spring break you should be out doing something. So kid shows....cops show...my lawyer says ok well the prosecutor still pushing for the DUI charge even though the blood is out. Long story short I should've never done any sobriety test. So they were going to use that against me as if anyone actually passes those. I live in NV so the laws are strict but my lawyer got it to where I take the DUI, DUI internet school and a Panel I have to attend. They threw out the driving to close charge and morgue visit. Top it off the 2nd DUI I got almost 4 months ago will still be considered my first since the first original one was still pending and not settled. I'm not proud of any of this stuff and it's my stupid fault. Gonna be feeling it financially for a while thats for sure."
Old 04-02-2015, 07:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well, you did get lucky; although, I suggest not drinking and driving again. The accident could have been much worse.

I'm curious though, you said you were drafting something for work, drank three bourbons and then headed home. Is alcohol available where you work, or were you working out of a bar or some other place where alcohol was sold?