Notices

Post DUI court date update

Old 04-01-2015, 08:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post DUI court date update

So I finally had my court date for one of the 2 DUIs I received within the last 8 months. Just a quick review it was a bumper to bumper accident in heavy traffic on the freeway. No injuries and no damages. Exchanged info and insurance info. Should've left right then and there. Instead I wait until after when this kid calls his parents and then they call the cops because the kid was claiming he had all these injuries. Neck, wrist, shoulder??? Wait I was going 5mph and there's not even any damage. So of course I get agitated which is when I should've just left. Anyway....

8 months later I go to court which was March 30th. Lawyer says they can't use my blood since it was past the limit they have to take it and maybe we can get this down to wreckless driving. Prosecutor claims well we really don't need blood to prove a DUI. So the kid I hit shows to our surprise...its spring break you should be out doing something. So kid shows....cops show...my lawyer says ok well the prosecutor still pushing for the DUI charge even though the blood is out. Long story short I should've never done any sobriety test. So they were going to use that against me as if anyone actually passes those. I live in NV so the laws are strict but my lawyer got it to where I take the DUI, DUI internet school and a Panel I have to attend. They threw out the driving to close charge and morgue visit. Top it off the 2nd DUI I got almost 4 months ago will still be considered my first since the first original one was still pending and not settled. I'm not proud of any of this stuff and it's my stupid fault. Gonna be feeling it financially for a while thats for sure.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You could have killed somebody too !
Old 04-01-2015, 08:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I had a DUI many moons ago and should have had several more. Glad you got some of the penalties reduced, but the lesson learned and how you handle your sobriety as a result is the big takeaway
Old 04-01-2015, 08:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by marcusflowers View Post
You could have killed somebody too !
You think I don't know that? Nothing to be proud of here. Just giving the update since I mentioned it in previous post.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hi getright...how is the sobriety going?

Old 04-01-2015, 09:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Verte View Post
Hi getright...how is the sobriety going?

It's going. Had a few bumps in the road but everything is cool.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi getitright,

Glad you got some of the penalties reduced. I got a DUI two and a half years ago and the year that followed was the most depressing I think I've ever had. I was so angry at myself.

But then, as time went on, I eventually forgave myself and realized that the police officer that pulled me over for swerving could have been my lifesaver, or someone else's...who knows what could have happened if I hadn't been pulled over? Then I grew up, forgave myself, and decided that mistakes are worthless if you don't learn something from them. And I'm actually kind of proud to say that even to this day I have never gotten behind the wheel after ingesting any alcohol.

Don't forget about the unknown unknowns. Who's to say that if you didn't bump that kid's car, you wouldn't have wound up in a worse situation in which you seriously hurt yourself or someone else?

Stay up to date on all of your penalties, and soon enough it will all be over. Don't punish yourself too much, that's what the court system is for...ha, best of luck. =)
Old 04-02-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rednails View Post
Hi getitright,

Glad you got some of the penalties reduced. I got a DUI two and a half years ago and the year that followed was the most depressing I think I've ever had. I was so angry at myself.

But then, as time went on, I eventually forgave myself and realized that the police officer that pulled me over for swerving could have been my lifesaver, or someone else's...who knows what could have happened if I hadn't been pulled over? Then I grew up, forgave myself, and decided that mistakes are worthless if you don't learn something from them. And I'm actually kind of proud to say that even to this day I have never gotten behind the wheel after ingesting any alcohol.

Don't forget about the unknown unknowns. Who's to say that if you didn't bump that kid's car, you wouldn't have wound up in a worse situation in which you seriously hurt yourself or someone else?

Stay up to date on all of your penalties, and soon enough it will all be over. Don't punish yourself too much, that's what the court system is for...ha, best of luck. =)
Very true on everything you mentioned!

Thank you!