Notices

You know what sucks?

Old 04-01-2015, 05:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

You know what sucks?

Say the miraculous happens, and I manage stay sober for 30 days... I can't tell anyone. Well, I can tell you guys of course, but that's it. I can't tell anyone else, because they'll view it as a disappointment, not an achievement. "30 days sober, really??? you're that much of an alcoholic, you need to count the days? what a loser" type of thing.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Troy. I think WHEN you make it to day 30 The pride you feel will be enough! And I doubt anyone would consider you a loser for not having drinks for a month.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It is hard for people without addiction issues to get their mind around what all the fuss would be. Lots of people don't drink at all. So tell us. Tell AA. We/they get it.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

30 days is massive & was a huge milestone for me i knew i could stay sober after reaching a month

Well done Troy
Old 04-01-2015, 05:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you go to an AA meeting and tell them, they'll all applaud you, and they'll give you cake and a shiny coin
Old 04-01-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Are u doing it for them?

Of course not. Check your ego and do what YOU need to do
Old 04-01-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

TroyW there is sooo much I could say in response to your OP. First, the miracle of 30 days, I'm new to this site as well and really pretty new to actually trying to quit, so I get it. But at least you've set a goal, and found this site, that shows you care. As far as not being able to tell anyone, so what. That may sounds harsh, but in the end trying to remain sober is for your benefit. I don't tell anyone I quit drinking during the week and that I am trying to quit drinking on the weekends. Heck, they wouldn't care anyway. Its about you my friend.

Lastly, I would ask what kind of friends do you have that would call you a loser for not drinking? I'm guessing you are relatively young? Just a guess, please don't take offense.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

This site has been my only source of Yea! when it comes to sobriety milestones. My husband doesn't drink so he doesn't know what the big deal is.
I am going to call out your AV though. How do you know they will be disappointed? That seems like an odd word to use for what you call a miracle. I would call getting sober a lot of hard work and not so much a miracle. If you get 30 days? You can get 30 days Troy. You can do this just don't listen to that voice that tells you it won't be worth it. It will.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TroyW View Post
really?
Say what someone tells you is a 'miracle' happens, and you've reached an arbitrary number. Why does this number make such an impression on you? Why should it impress upon someone else? Is it a goal you've set for yourself, is it a bullet point in a list, a stamp on a cheap alloy medallion?

Why are you doing what you are doing? Are your reasons selfish, or selfless?
Old 04-01-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah, it can seem like a thankless job, this sobering up business. But we've got each other here, and that's nice. One day we'll look back on how far we've come since our drunken days and we will thank ourselves profusely for getting out of that hole.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Court jester

When I used to compete in a half ironman triathlon, I counted each of the 56 miles I rode and the 13.1 miles that I ran. I felt great reaching my next short term goal. It reminded me that what I am doing is working and to continue pushing forward.

My first time around, I stopped counting after the first year and then simply celebrated each time my anniversary came around.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Outside of others who have gone through similar struggles, no one cares if I'm a day sober or 10 years sober. They only care if I drink. Was disappointed when I hit personal milestones and even the wife just said "great". No party no big hoopla. Guess we have to remember that we are doing what we should have been doing all along.
30 will days be a great achievement and you get to celebrate with the rest of your life.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm with you, TroyW. My daughters and one friend know but no one else. I was a Home Alone drinker so few people have any inkling that I guzzled bottles of wine. I won't be sharing my milestones with anyone but you guys.
Myself, along with others here will be thrilled for you to hit that 30 day mark!
Old 04-01-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I didn't tell anyone in real life until I had like six months and even then it was only when they asked.

a) I wanted some serious sober time before humble-bragging about it.
b) I wanted to know I was actually going to follow through.
c) I didn't want to jinx it.
d) Nobody else really gave a ****.

Some of my non-alcoholic friends haven't had a drink in six months either.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The best milestone will be the day that you suddenly realize you have stopped counting days.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Gotta stop for ourselves. 30 days is a wonderful milestone. A whole month without drinking is a major accomplishment.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

this is exactly why i love this site.
i am telling no one bc no one knows how bad it was. i was always too ashamed to talk about it with anyone. even when someone suggested offhand that i was drinking too much. it was almost always done in secret, except at a party event, where i had done some pretty stupid ****.
so i will applaud my success bc it is me i am doing this for
and will relish and treasure every little positive message each one of you gives me

so Troy my friend, 30 days is HUGE. i give you hugs, applause, balloons
but mostly i hope you appreciate how big a deal this is, and give yourself the love and kindness you deserve
Old 04-03-2015, 02:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You know what else sucks? When you want to start dating again, but know you can't until you're sober. Hell, I'm actually a pretty good looking guy. Well, aside from all my recent photos that show these squinted eyes, while looking like I'm drunk out of my mind. Aside from that though, I'm quite good looking. :-)

I can't even upload a photo to a dating site. For **** sakes...
Old 04-03-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yes, recognition from others is nice, but I'm going to reward myself when I hit 30 days. Go get a massage! Buy a expensive pair of shoes! Eat a super fancy dinner! Climb a mountain! Swim in the ocean! Take a weekend vacation! Get a puppy! Do something for YOU because you kicked 30 days' hiney!
Old 04-04-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Adventurer

How close are you to 30 days?