Notices

Assesment day and NERVOUS

Old 03-31-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Assesment day and NERVOUS

So I told my MD last week about my drinking problem and now I am going in for an assessment later in the day and I am nervous as heck!! I know that they will want me to go in to some sort of program but I don't see where that will fit into my life. I work full time and have two kids. I feel as if they want to help me but they aren't thinking about my life. Yes, they are concerned about my health and what not but my LIFE is so much more than that. I don't know the right path to do this. I was SO proud of myself for telling my MD but what happens after that first step? I feel like I opened a door and there are too many hallways, if that makes sense! A little comfort and wisdom would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!
Old 03-31-2015, 07:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Kelly, do you have a drinking problem? If so, congratulations for talking to your doctor. The next question is have you already stopped drinking or are you waiting to hear the results of your test?

Many of us on SR have stopped drinking without a program, but if that's what you need then find a way to do it because it's that important.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

First - don't over think it, you haven't even been to the meeting yet and you are already drawing conclusions. An assessment is just that - a meeting to assess where you are right now with your drinking/addiction. Once that is determined a recommendation will be given, but it is just that - a recommendation. And all the recommendations will be for things that are designed to help you get better.

If you do plan to stay sober, however, you will have to make time to work on it. You can't simply just "not drink" and expect things to just go away. And regarding TIME, take a look back and see how much time you spent drinking....you will have PLENTY of time to work on your recovery, no matter what path you choose.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for the helpful responses. I have dramatically cut back on the drinking since I told my doctor, I am scared to quit cold turkey because I want to know it wont kill me. I told my MD that the reason I want to break free of this addiction is because I am terrified of loosing my mind or dying. I told her that I know both of those are real possibilities if I continue but it's also what has been keeping me addicted. I just want some one to tell me 'this is what you will do'. I want this to work so badly. It's all I think about (aside from my family) and will do what they tell me.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

If you are seeing a drug/alcohol counselor then they can certainly help you quit and detox safely. Withdrawals can be scary, but as long as they are supervised ( either directly or on an outpatient basis ) you will be just fine.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I guess I am fearing that I will turn into a cousin I have who put her family through the worst and never got sober. She went to rehab, counseling, the works and it didn't work and it's so so sad. For that reason, I also wont be sharing this with my family. I have kept this a secret for them which probably wasn't smart but that was my choice. unlike me though, my cousin doesn't have a family of her own and I feel like I need to make them my guiding lights. I did get my blood work back and my liver is fine but my cholesterol is BAD. So that is another motivator. I just really need to get set on a path. I feel pulled in so many directions right now. This is not fun, I know that it will get better and I can live a life sober, another thing I need to do is figure out how to avoid it, and will I get too bored?? AHH, I feel like a mess, which is not my norm, I am used to being in control, but as I write that, I guess alcohol is what controls me so I am not in control at all!!
Old 03-31-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Your cousin is a person who made who made her own choices....your destiny has nothing to do with her. It's normal to feel as you are....most of us did right before we quit, I know I did for sure.

The bottom line is that you have a chance today to make a very big choice. Your counselor will most likely present many options for you and recommend one or two, depending upon your drinking history. Each option will most likely focus on getting you clean first...perhaps some kind of detox or rehab. That's the first step. After that, most likely you'll be involved in some kind of recovery program to help you learn how to live without alcohol - which can be done, very well as a matter of fact.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you scott, I needed to hear that like you said it will be recommendations and that they wont force me into something I can't 'live' with. I need to be able to keep on keeping on with out the drink and hopefully I will find something that will fit. I am also worried that when I walk in people with judge me. I hate the way people look at you if they don't understand. I see it all the time at my job when some one has a problem. I know I have to just ignore it, but I care what people think of me! Ok, I am calmer, and getting a bit excited to do this. If I don't, my MD will probably fire me as a patient
Old 03-31-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You are making a great decision, seeing your doctor was a great first step. You may need to change your life to fit the program of recovery too...just be aware of that. Getting sober isn't something you can do just when it is "convenient" for you. I'm not suggesting that your entire life will need to be completely turned upside down, but you may need to change some of your activities and some of the people you hang out with. Or you may need to dedicate some time each day to a meeting, an online session, therapy, who knows. But at the end of the day it's worth it....make sure you always keep your main goal of staying sober #1. The rest of it will largely take care of itself if you can do that.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you talked to your dr and took that first step. Did your dr give you her opinion as to whether you could stop drinking on your own or not? If not, then detox might be helpful. Scott is exactly right. Recovery has to be your priority, but it doesn't mean you have to stop everything else in your life.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you very very much, I will be back after my assessment as I plan to Sober Recovery as a tool to do this. I am on hour 18 and will add more and more to that, then days!! Looking forward to living with out this addiction
Old 03-31-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

oh, and my MD said that I could try to stop but I didn't give her my big day numbers. It was all I could to tell her I had a problem, so I am going to give the assessment person all of the information honestly.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by newkelly360 View Post
so I am going to give the assessment person all of the information honestly.
That is key. Don't worry, they have heard it all and nothing ( and I mean NOTHING ) that you can say will be a surprise to them. Be completely honest about all of it - that in itself can be therapeutic.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ok going now with open heart and ready to do this. Thank you for the help, it truly made this feel less intimidating and that I can do it. I will be back and post!
Old 03-31-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you Newkelly
Old 03-31-2015, 08:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by newkelly360 View Post
Ok going now with open heart and ready to do this. Thank you for the help, it truly made this feel less intimidating and that I can do it. I will be back and post!
Kelly, if you have your MDs ok to stop drinking without detox, you can just stop. Many people who go cold turkey spend their time obsessing about drinking; it's called 'white knuckling'. Others, like me, just reached that point where they were so motivated to quit that nothing was going to stop them.

What I'm saying is that you may be able to quit without a program, or you might find it really difficult, in which case a program would help.

I suggest you do a lot of reading on SR under the topic of 'cravings'. If you can develop strategies for handling cravings, and you're motivated, and don't get too confident, you have an excellent chance of success.

Fantastic about the liver test, and it's great that you know about the cholesterol at a time when treatment can really prevent future problems. Well done on levelling with your doctor, because it's not easy.