Notices

To the doctors?

Old 03-31-2015, 06:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

To the doctors?

Some people might of read my recent threads as I have struggled the last few weekends with withdrawals or hangovers....possible both. In a nut shell I have been regularly binge drinking for what possible is now 15 years plus, I cant really remember the last weekend I didn't drink for put it that way. My binge would be at home Friday with a bottle wine, few beers and few ciders followed by the same Saturday if not once in the week, if I went out then it could be a all dayer Saturday (possible no alcohol Friday) or a skin full sat night.

As mentioned the feelings the day after have turned to total paranoid feelings, I get really scared my brain feels like its shivering and I am so tired but scared to sleep! Two days later (like today) all things seem to improve and then by the weekend I think...oh I will be ok...but obviously this isn't the case. I remember a year or so back when the paranoid feeling started , this then was nowhere near as bad as now but I have over the last 2/3 years always been jumpy when hearing noises etc, which again must be nerve damage related.

My question really is is it OK To book into the doctors? I don't really want a lecture but want to see if (or what ) damage I have done if any, or I have hangover and they are just worsen. I am in the UK and not sure if its acceptable just to go in and say "hey I drank to much can you see if im ok " Maybe its reassurances I want, but can anyone guide of they have done the above with the Doctors ?

Any help would be great
Old 03-31-2015, 06:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's more than ok - I recommend it

D
Old 03-31-2015, 06:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think it's more than ok - I recommend it

D
but say what ? I think they will just tell me off, if anyone has done similar that would be great to hear . I do have an appointment its 2 weeks today!! This is the UK NHS for you!!
Old 03-31-2015, 06:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi CJWAT just go to Doc and tell him/her honestly the problem and they will take from there, they will probably start with bloods to find out how all your organs (results might take a few days) are doing and discuss with you your drinking habits and the long term damage it can cause and what is happening as a result of drinking. Might give you medicine to ease acute withdrawal if you intend to quit as it can be fatal without proper drugs to detox. Good Luck, and let us know how you get on, God Bless.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have found that they have seen it all before and are non judgmental, its your life. But they will give you the truth as it is, sometimes we don't want to face it but that's reality.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by carlingford View Post
Hi CJWAT just go to Doc and tell him/her honestly the problem and they will take from there, they will probably start with bloods to find out how all your organs (results might take a few days) are doing and discuss with you your drinking habits and the long term damage it can cause and what is happening as a result of drinking. Might give you medicine to ease acute withdrawal if you intend to quit as it can be fatal without proper drugs to detox. Good Luck, and let us know how you get on, God Bless.
I think I will do that , I don't see I have withdrawals as can go the week without alcohol in general, I do recall I year or so ago I did 3 weeks, I am oing the right things going gym and taking vitamins also which think helps. I can also go Saturday without drinking a lot of my alcohol intake has been bad habit and boredom at home, as I felt alcohol changed the scenery if makes sence. Anyway enough is enough and things need to change with regards to regular binge drinking
Old 03-31-2015, 06:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I wish I was you and had a second chance!!, don't blow it !! as once an Alco always an Alco, its a horrendous disease that brings nothing but pain and misery. lets know how you get on, good luck.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I wish I was you and had a second chance!!, don't blow it !! as once an Alco always an Alco, its a horrendous disease that brings nothing but pain and misery. lets know how you get on, good luck.
Thanks , I am not saying I am not alco though or I am, I guess time will tell if I can live without it , its going to be a tough weekend as it Easter this weekend, but I am going to try and see how I get on.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Also regarding Binge drinking you are chipping away at the neurons in your brain causing gradual change and every hangover will cause adoption and will take longer and longer to recover. Please check out the section on PAW in S. Recovery as explains better than me, wish I had of known, good luck.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Also regarding Binge drinking you are chipping away at the neurons in your brain causing gradual change and every hangover will cause adoption and will take longer and longer to recover. Please check out the section on PAW in S. Recovery as explains better than me, wish I had of known, good luck.
Thank you I will do this, what is paw in s?
Old 03-31-2015, 06:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good Luck again, no Easter in Saudi, come to work here to stay away from temptation and recover the body and mind. Happy Easter to you and yours. Just finished work now off home for now. bye.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

PAWS = Post Alcoholic withdrawal Syndrome, some good articles here on it also google it, the fun only really begins after the acute withdrawal, good luck.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Last winter I went in and saw the doctor after a terrible binge, wanted to get checked out. I drank more in that two and half months than I probably drank in the previous 6-8 months. Everything checked out. But I had the same symptoms you are experiencing, except for the brain shivering. I don't recall having that.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I would recommend going to a doctor and saying I drink too much and want to quit. I am sure they will recommend a complete physical without you saying anything.

It is time to treat the disease not the symptoms.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

I recommend it also no Dr will give you a lecture be honest and talk about recovery options like group therapy/addiction counselling/

Having regular Dr apts can be part of your sobriety plan
Old 03-31-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Last winter I went in and saw the doctor after a terrible binge, wanted to get checked out. I drank more in that two and half months than I probably drank in the previous 6-8 months. Everything checked out. But I had the same symptoms you are experiencing, except for the brain shivering. I don't recall having that.
And what was the outcome ? I don't know how to describe the brain thing its like end of nerves tingle , it could also though be down to fact when I drink I smoke....and this could simply be withdrawal from the smoking
Old 03-31-2015, 10:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

PAW info on this link...
PAWS | Digital Dharma
Old 03-31-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi cjwat

I think it is a great move to see the doctor. It is an act of self-care and that can only be a good thing.

I just wanted to pick up on something you said in an earlier post. The fact that you can go a week without drinking does not mean that you are not experiencing withdrawals. I think that all binges lead to withdrawals of some description - even just a heavy one-nighter.

A 'binge' is fewer drinks than you might think too - about 3 pints (5%) or half a bottle of wine is getting there. I used to go out and have around 8 pints of 5% beer most nights when I was purposefully 'moderating'. I actually had no idea how far above the 'binge' level I was at. I wondered why I felt wretched half the time..being so moderate and all!!!

I really do wish you well, cjwat and I honestly think that a period of abstinence will bring an end to many of your horrible symptoms.

The doctor won't be fazed by the way. He or she has heard to all before...about a thousand times! :-)

Take care and very best wishes to you

CC
Old 03-31-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I know it probably seems scary for you, because you rarely see a doctor. However, switch that around, and think about how many patients a doctor sees in a week. My guess is around 200+.

He's really not going to care you drink too much for your own good. In his eyes, you're just another patient, and he's just another doctor doing his part to help make the world a better place. As stated above, you can expect the bitter truth from him though.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

[EDIT: Sorry, double post somehow]