Notices

Back again

Old 03-30-2015, 08:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again

here we go again. I'm on day 2 and haven't been on SR for over a year.

When I first posted here I was far less disciplined and could sense I was verging on thing getting really bad. Now I'm basically sober during the week and drink on the weekends. I'm gradually drinking more and more. I'm greedy when I drink. It's a situation that can't continue as something is going to give.

My experiences here have shown me that with the online support I can get through my first weekend then I can manage somewhere between a month or three. Each time I learn a little more about coping.

So I started on the 29th and should be fine until Friday night. I'll try and post frequently to get into the correct mindset to overcome the first weekend.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Midton

Sorry, but it's not clear to me: are you going for complete permanent abstinence this time, or a period of abstinence then attempts at control again?

D
Old 03-30-2015, 09:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back, and hoping the best for ya!

We all gotta punch that little alcohol goblin in the head.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome back Midton

Sorry, but it's not clear to me: are you going for complete permanent abstinence this time, or a period of abstinence then attempts at control again?

D
My goal is total abstinence. However I really can't wrap my head around never drinking again. Logically, I know it is the best thing but I have some hurdles that I can't see me overcoming just yet.

Dee, I don't know how much you remember about me but I live abroad and return home every summer. One of these hurdles is meeting up with my friends from back home. I just can't see me not drinking at this time.

My hope and plan, and don't shoot me down in flames, is to have my periods of sobriety longer and longer until it is the norm. Since I joined here I've had completely sober periods, in fact I basically try to start one at least once a week. It is only after the worst/most embarrassing of my binges that I have any real success.

I truly believe that I will be totally abstinent in the future. I had a health check recently and I kind of hoped that the doctor told me that I had some alcohol related problem as this is the kind of thing that would scare me into total sobriety and allow me to use as an excuse with my friends back home.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I do remember you and your story and I'm not going to shoot you down in flames

I know forevers a monumental idea...I took it a day at a time to begin with. I kept re-committing to it every day tho cos I really wanted change.

I tried to live my old life with my old mates and either not drink at all or just a little bit.

I couldn't do it Midton. Any time I introduce alcohol into my system all good intent dissipates.

I had to change my life and that meant changing my social circle, to varying degrees.

D
Old 03-31-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back Midton!!