Notices

Who here misses the headaches?

Old 03-30-2015, 05:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Who here misses the headaches?

Or the nausea? Or the mess you made last night that didn't seem important then but turned out it was? Or the anxiety when you wake up? Maybe realizing you've been "Drunkbooking" (term made up by another user). Who misses the grief they caused their loved ones? This one doesn't apply to me, but who misses driving drunk, putting perfectly innocent people at risk?

Who misses throwing up so bad that your guts can't take it anymore? And it being the next day that you realize you've missed a lot of the toilet bowl and you get to either live with vomit all over your bathroom floor, or you get to clean it while feeling horrible?

Who misses stuff being broken, tables being misplaced because you fell into them, bruises all over your body?

Who misses putting their life in jeopardy?

Who misses hurting their loved ones?

Keep this in mind next time you even consider drinking.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You've pretty much described my latter drinking days
Old 03-30-2015, 05:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TomTom75 View Post
You've pretty much described my latter drinking days
This went on for me for years. The only thing I never did and couldn't was participating in traffic while drunk. The rest is what my life was like for years. I didn't even realize it was a problem for a long time... Not smart.

I've fallen down so often that it's a miracle I have no lasting injuries. My guitar is gone though. A really nice acoustic guitar. Broke in half because I fell into it. Took down my microwave in the fall too.

I don't miss any of it.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I certainly don't miss those "sniper bruises" that somehow appeared overnight and were evident in the mornings. It's a good thing I couldn't see how bad my internal organs looked because I'm sure it was even worse. I don't miss the drunk texting, yeeks. I also broke many laptops, dropping them or knocking them off the table. Ruined clothes. Lost objects. I certainly don't miss the calls from creditors either.

Getting alcohol out of our lives has led to vast improvements for so many of us. Living up to who we always wanted to be is a fun pursuit!
Old 03-30-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What amazes me is the range of consequences alcohol has on different people. We hear about functional alcoholics who we'd probably never know they had a problem unless they told us, then you have the other end of the spectrum where people have gone through living hell for years, lost everything, including their health. And the depths people will go to get alcohol when they are in the throws of addiction. Also, doesn't matter who you are, old, young, male, female, it doesn't care. Its been an eye opener for me, that is for sure.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I keep remembering things that I don't remember. Its insane. How powerful a hold alcohol has that it can make me want to drink despite the amount of times I've done every thing you've listed. A very intense lie.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kinzoku View Post
I keep remembering things that I don't remember. Its insane. How powerful a hold alcohol has that it can make me want to drink despite the amount of times I've done every thing you've listed. A very intense lie.
And in the end it'll kill you. Just sayin'. My uncle fell off the couch. Dead. Too young. My aunt had a liver transplant which went well but still gives uncertain life expectancy. Plus, needing a liver, hoping for a donor, getting the surgery, hoping the body doesn't reject it, taking a lot of pills daily after that. And then still hoping you will survive. Your life-expectancy will be less than usual and life-quality will be worse.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am just 2 weeks in and the memories of insanity are steadily hitting me. I cannot believe it was me. I did drink and drive I am very ashamed. One night I was in house alone drunk and at 1 am thought it was a good idea to take my motorbike out for a spin. It was minus 5 with freezing fog I had no gloves on or warm clothes. I came off it and was very fortunate not to be hurt but going home I was so cold my hands could barely work the gears etc. I wanted to die, I am so glad I didnt hurt anyone. I will remember these moments if I get cravings.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TomTom75 View Post
I am just 2 weeks in and the memories of insanity are steadily hitting me. I cannot believe it was me. I did drink and drive I am very ashamed. One night I was in house alone drunk and at 1 am thought it was a good idea to take my motorbike out for a spin. It was minus 5 with freezing fog I had no gloves on or warm clothes. I came off it and was very fortunate not to be hurt but going home I was so cold my hands could barely work the gears etc. I wanted to die, I am so glad I didnt hurt anyone. I will remember these moments if I get cravings.
Judgement is great drunk, huh? You could have killed someone or yourself. I'm not blaming you, but face the facts.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I abhorred DD before and I did it myself.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good thing you learned from it!
Old 03-30-2015, 07:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

It's interesting you posted this question because I had a mild headache and nausea yesterday and I was thinking that if it had been 3 years ago I would have been ashamed and regretting the previous night.

Yesterday I was able to say it was just one of those things, no problem.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am learning a lot , about myself and this horrible condition
Old 03-30-2015, 07:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I love this, describes the last year of my drinking perfectly
Insane