Notices

Is anybody excited by their sobriety?

Old 03-30-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is anybody excited by their sobriety?

Just a thought that popped into my head. I'm two months sober and starting to think something along the lines of: ''The world is just completely open to explore, and opportunities are plentiful.''

I am, however, concerned that this feeling won't last, but I'm trying to live in the moment and ride the wave. In the past (all my life) I've suppressed any positive emotions, and these days I automatically replace them with negative ones. However, I am trying to rectify these maladaptive thought-patterns.

To the people with strong sober stints, do you still get excited about being sober? I'm actually starting to feel like a bit of a badass, in my own non-conformist way
Staying on that theme, I bought myself a leather jacket online on Saturday with the money I have saved over the last 8 weeks!

Thanks for you time
Old 03-30-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Between two and three months I often was in that Pink Cloud they talk about. It must be part of the brain's recovery, beginning to heal dopamine receptors, or something.

It didn't last. But it was like being two feet off the ground when it happened. Enjoy it while you have it.

I think a lot of recovery is about replacing those Automatic Negative Thoughts (you can Google that) with more positive ones.

I like the "sober wallet" - buying things with that money we used to waste.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't have a whole lot to add as I am super new to these forums, but wanted to say congrats on your new jacket! It's so cool to make a fun purchase like that, and it must feel great knowing you were able to do so with funds that you basically "made" for being such badass at the sobriety! Congrats on two months =)
Old 03-30-2015, 12:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It sounds like the ride on the pink cloud! That excitement levels out. The bad stuff comes up to a neutral, tolerable level and the excitability calms down. I still get it every now and again. I'm at a point where I am so levelheaded and content it's foreign to me.

Jennifer
Old 03-30-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats man! I like your mind set.

I know I am excited about what this life has to offer. Keep up the awesome work and ride all the waves you can.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm pumped about my sobriety, just over a year in.

I've found ways to enjoy my sobriety, namely doing things I've always wanted to do or said I would someday do. Chiefly, I live an honorable life today with a lot of help from AA.

I'm a decent employee, a better than average boyfriend, and a kind person. I wanted an exciting life and I figured it wouldn't get exciting if I sat on my ass, waiting for it to be exciting. So I started hiking, rock climbing, backpacking, and mountaineering. I'm picking my guitar back up, and I've started reading for fun again.

These things would be impossible if I were active in my alcoholism. It's a 180 of my old life, and it's way, way more fun.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

To answer your question about still
enjoying my sobriety after a long
amount of time, YES, I am with 24
yrs of many one days at a time added
together living and incorporating tools
and knowledge of an effective recovery
program in my everyday life.

This recovery program I follow helps
me remain sober for the most important
part, but also helps me remain grounded,
focused, not cocky, bigger than Thou,
better than others, a huge ego, but rather
be grateful, humble appreciative, caring
and so on as I live each day happy, joyous
and free from addiction.

The journey in living a sober life IMO
is well worth it.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I think rationally I'm excited by it. I'm excited by the idea of being in control of my life. Also frightened. But hey, all self improvement comes with a measure of both fear and excitement.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on the 8 weeks RunnerBean

To answer your question yes i am so happy & grateful to be sober
Old 03-30-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

almost 40 months into sobriety, I can honestly say that I am excited about sobriety and that it continues to get better and better.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

a couple of years sober here and i've fitted more fun and delight in them than in the 10 before that .

Drinking made me twisted around on myself and i didn't learn or grow very much .

Sobriety brings quality to my endeavours and i get satisfaction from them , whereas with drink it was always more about where was the next drink coming from and if there was a chance to get wasted, would anyone notice .

Now i can be bothered to do nice things and whaddya know they are kinda fun

Lots of good stuff to come yet

Bestwishes , m
Old 03-30-2015, 01:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes! I am. It is awesome! Can't stand the thought of going back. My life has gotten so much better.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Excited about my sobriety ? Heck yes, this is the drama free life that I always wanted.

Today excitement is not having a disappointed MountainLady.

Today excitement is not getting DUI's and crashing through buildings like Superman without the cape.

Mountainman
Old 03-30-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on 8 weeks!

At that point in my sobriety I think I was so shocked I was sober I didn't have the excited feelings. I was still in a fog and walking around waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I lived in fear most of the time. My sponsor just kept telling me I was were I was supposed to be and first things first. Don't drink, work your recovery program, pray and let it go. It was a rough first three/four months.

Now today, two years later, I am excited that I have a new life. I didn't get the old one back with duct tape on it. I didn't fix my old life, I got a new one and I want to make it the best it can be for me. Living day to day, being grateful for what I have and the people I have in it.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, some great replies that made me smile. You can always rely on this community for that
Old 03-30-2015, 01:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Yup... somewhere around 28 years and I'm still excited. Ups and downs, good and not as good days, but experiencing the joys and facing the difficulties either head on or embracing. Its exciting to be alive and fully present no matter what's going on. In other words... experiencing life to the fullest and grateful every day for my sobriety.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yep. Instead of looking down into a drink we can look up at the bigger picture.

I also find I can cope much better with adversity whilst sober because I actually do something about the problem other than drink it away.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I stopped drinking February 10, 2014 so I have just a bit over one year. It was the best decision I ever made. I feel so much better now. No hangovers. No falling asleep in front of my family. I can't really think of anything I miss about drinking. It's just been a huge blessing for me.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
AA member

Yes I am still ecited by my sobriety.

I have had up's and downs ove the years,but I am always grateful to be sober.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yes I am :-)

21 months here and you know what , it gets even better xxx

Embrace your excitement , the worlds your oyster .

Now save for the Harley to go with your jacket

Big virtual pat on the back to you xxx