Notices

Back to zero

Old 03-28-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back to zero

I drank.

I drank an average of half of a fifth of vodka 4-6 days a week for most of my adult life. I spent the last five days having withdrawals and on an emotional roller coaster trying to be sober. I was feeling good on day five and so excited to succeed at a sober weekend. I need to be sober. I wrote a post just a few days ago crying about how bad withdrawals were and that I wouldn't/couldn't turn back -and I did. I drank, darn it!

So I'm wiping the tears and starting my new day one, but I'm more afraid. I have a very challenging week coming up. If i can't even make it through a normal weekend, how will I make it through my tempting weekend next week? I have to do this, I want to.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are you still drinking, Komplex?
Old 03-28-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hope it works out well!

We should almost start a small Skype group, or something. Just a small group, keep in touch with each other daily, keep each other updated, chastise (err... I mean support) each other when we fall, etc. Might help, no?
Old 03-28-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Are you still drinking, Komplex?
No - I'm home. I met up with my daughters friend and her parents. I didn't even think about alcohol, but bam I ordered a drink before I knew what hit me. I had four- four too many.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Komplex Please try again.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Staying sober is a skill like any other Komplex - we learn it, we build up a support base, we make changes in our lives to support our decision for change, and things get easier.

Think about what more you can do for your recovery.

Not staying sober this weekend is not necessarily a determinant of your attempts in the future - unless you change nothing...so make some changes

D
Old 03-28-2015, 06:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TroyW View Post
Hope it works out well!

We should almost start a small Skype group, or something. Just a small group, keep in touch with each other daily, keep each other updated, chastise (err... I mean support) each other when we fall, etc. Might help, no?
Checking in with each other and encouraging each other is great. I don't know about the camera thing though, I'm sure I look pathetic wallowing in my own self-pity, lol.

How are you doing Troy? Feel free to message me anytime - we have got to get a hold of ourselves!
Old 03-28-2015, 06:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Komplex View Post
No - I'm home. I met up with my daughters friend and her parents. I didn't even think about alcohol, but bam I ordered a drink before I knew what hit me. I had four- four too many.
Drink plenty of water and get to sleep. Tomorrow is a new day, Komplex; you don't have to continue the slide; you can get back on track and on the path to recovery.

Sobriety has so much goodness to offer; you are going to love it.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just start over. Right now. Never, never, ever give up. Just keep trying. Together. We do this together. You keep trying and it will STICK! We're here with ya!
Old 03-28-2015, 06:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by TroyW View Post
Hope it works out well!

Like a 'Class of the Month' support thread?

March 2015 is here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-3-a-8.html

Check it out Troy

D
Old 03-28-2015, 06:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Tomorrow you can make a plan. Tonight sleep on it.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

So sorry Komplex! You came here to tell about it though - that's a good thing. You can get back on track, we know you can.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I know we can't debate recovery methods here, so please correct me if I'm out of line. I'm a closet drunk - literally I usually drink out of my closet �� I'm looked up some AA meetings last week and also some addiction counselors. I'm terrified of admitting the facts to my family and friends, and I'm more terrified of walking into a meeting I'm not sure I'm welcome at. That's why I thought a counselor might be a good idea, but I haven't called. I'm scared- scared to drink, scared to recover, scared to ask for help.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

EDIT: Off Topic.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know we can't debate recovery methods here, so please correct me if I'm out of line. I'm a closet drunk - literally I usually drink out of my closet �� I'm looked up some AA meetings last week and also some addiction counselors. I'm terrified of admitting the facts to my family and friends, and I'm more terrified of walking into a meeting I'm not sure I'm welcome at. That's why I thought a counselor might be a good idea, but I haven't called. I'm scared- scared to drink, scared to recover, scared to ask for help.
You're perfectly entitled to ask questions Komplex - that's not debating recovery methods.

why do you think you might not be welcome at AA?

D
Old 03-29-2015, 03:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I hope you'll let AA have a chance.... It is a fantastic tool in your sobriety arsenal.

Sounds to me like you need some support in your life to get over the hump.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
I hope you'll let AA have a chance.... It is a fantastic tool in your sobriety arsenal.

Sounds to me like you need some support in your life to get over the hump.
Thank you. Can I ask? With AA, can I just look up a meeting and show up? Should I call the number listed online first? I agree the more support the better for me, right now.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you. Can I ask? With AA, can I just look up a meeting and show up? Should I call the number listed online first? I agree the more support the better for me, right now.
you can just show up. The only requirement is a desire to stop drinking. I know it's a little scary.... But that goes away when you find how welcoming it is.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

"I'm more terrified of walking into a meeting I'm not sure I'm welcome at."

The primary purpose of AA is to stop drinking AND help another alcoholic to achieve sobriety.
That’s the bedrock of AA. It’s a place where people understand us and have outstretched hands of welcome.

We may not like all we hear but staying around may change our minds, it did mine and my life certainly improved.

BE WELL
Old 03-29-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Komplex,

Almost Everyone that walks into their first meeting is scared. No reason to be. They've all been there. Just walk in, say hello, sit down and listen. It's not so hard. Good Luck! If you feel like sharing, Do. If not, listen. How hard is that?

I actually crave my meetings now. Try a few out for fit. They're all a bit different.