Notices

59 Days Sober, the Honeymoon is Over, Had Enough of Sobriety

Old 03-27-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

59 Days Sober, the Honeymoon is Over, Had Enough of Sobriety

hi ... I went through HELL the first couple weeks, then everything started getting and feeling better, the strongest urges in the weekly cycle, Friday after work, Saturdays, Sundays have been getting weaker and everything was starting to feel like "ok, I can do this, I'll be better off just not drinking the rest of my life" ... well, for some reason, now, things are getting worse again, I just got home from work and I want to go to happy hour, I want to drink like everyone else I know, I want to have fun, I don't want to miss out, it's really hard right now ... I feel like enough already with this sober stuff, my wife wants to go to happy hour too and here we sit, in front of the TV starting off another completely boring sober weekend, sorry to vent but I feel like if this doesn't turn around for me soon I'm going to do the only thing that will help - let myself start drinking again
Old 03-27-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Why are you sitting in front of the TV? Go out for coffee, go to a movie, go for a walk, visit sober friends. There's no need to sit at home and be bored. It's just a question of finding new and fun activities that don't involve alcohol. You can do it. Congratulations on 59 days sober.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What Anna said - go to a movie. Or coffee. Or bungee jumping.

- Edit - this is not a lie. It's my day 60. So I can say that things get easier
Old 03-27-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Life doesn't just 'happen', you have to make it happen. Find new things to do besides just watching TV. Sobriety doesn't have to be boring.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

With your wife, no kids?

Liquor is quicker, but sex doesn't give you a hang over!

OK, that wasn't really helpful (it could be though)

I was kind of going through the same thing, but with pills. With just under 3 months of sobriety from pain med addiction I've been suffering from depression, but the different meds my doc has had me try have caused nasty side effects. I was getting frustrated with them not working which made me feel basically crappy all of the time.

Then I realized that I was expecting my life to be better by taking a pill, allot like when I was using pain meds.
I came to the conclusion that my lifes not going to be magically better from a pill, it's going to take time for me to get better and I need to roll with it and do what I can to get through it.

It took a long time to get really messed up, so I'm thinking it's going to take a good amount of time to get better.

I'm thinking that there is not a recovering alcoholic who's life is going to be made better by drinking again.
Perhaps as others have said, put some energy into coming up with some ideas to enrich your life.

HTH - S
Old 03-27-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

sometimes sacrificing the short term for the long term kinda sux. but if we want to reap the benefits of sobriety, we have to give it a chance. suck it up and get through it. it's worth it in the long run.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
EndGame

What you refer to as boredom is quite natural in early sobriety. You've abandoned your main though self-destructive activity. I didn't know what to do with myself when I first got sober, so I took on a great deal of treatment, believing that things would be, had to be, better for me at some point. Besides, there had become nothing in my life more boring than sitting around drinking, whether alone or with other people.

Boredom is no longer an issue for me, though inactivity sometimes sets me off. I find myself more active in my life than ever before, but it took some time and some hard work to get there.

If your sobriety is contingent upon your not being bored, then you need to do something besides drinking when you're bored.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi bluhend. I'm sorry you're so discouraged.

You quit for a reason - try to recall how you felt before stopping. Our memories of how it was tend to dim - but if we pick up again we go back to the uncertainty & misery that drinking brings. I felt much better with 3-4 months sober. Can you give it more time? Remember where it takes you!
Old 03-27-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What helps me when I think like that is to honestly face up to how boring I was when drunk. Same routine, same effect, same glaze over the eyes, same talking nonsense, same hangover and fear, repeat, repeat, boring, boring.

Alcohol and drugs are boring and turn us into insufferable bores.

Well done on 59 days - that is exciting and life affirming!

My best wishes,

B
Old 03-27-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html

Congrats on day 59

Your wife wants to go happy hour even tho your recently sober ?
Old 03-27-2015, 05:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Snotchy View Post
With your wife, no kids? Liquor is quicker, but sex doesn't give you a hang over! OK, that wasn't really helpful (it could be though) I was kind of going through the same thing, but with pills. With just under 3 months of sobriety from pain med addiction I've been suffering from depression, but the different meds my doc has had me try have caused nasty side effects. I was getting frustrated with them not working which made me feel basically crappy all of the time. Then I realized that I was expecting my life to be better by taking a pill, allot like when I was using pain meds. I came to the conclusion that my lifes not going to be magically better from a pill, it's going to take time for me to get better and I need to roll with it and do what I can to get through it. It took a long time to get really messed up, so I'm thinking it's going to take a good amount of time to get better. I'm thinking that there is not a recovering alcoholic who's life is going to be made better by drinking again. Perhaps as others have said, put some energy into coming up with some ideas to enrich your life. HTH - S
This, and you will make it to day 69...
Old 03-27-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think sometime in the future it gets better. Then it gets even better, and better still...but there will be setbacks along the road. Sometime in the future it will get really GREAT! .

BUT if you quit now and go backwards, you will have to start over and go through all that you have gone through to be exactly where you are now.....and you won't achieve the "better and better" then the "really great" because you will be back at square one....feeling miserable and hating yourself.....

So do whatever you can do to avoid starting over....find something to do. Push through.....be a success!
Old 03-27-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newpage119 View Post
I think sometime in the future it gets better. Then it gets even better, and better still...but there will be setbacks along the road. Sometime in the future it will get really GREAT! .

BUT if you quit now and go backwards, you will have to start over and go through all that you have gone through to be exactly where you are now.....and you won't achieve the "better and better" then the "really great" because you will be back at square one....feeling miserable and hating yourself.....

So do whatever you can do to avoid starting over....find something to do. Push through.....be a success!
Great advice. I needed to hear that today, too.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

At the beginning it is hard for our partners to understand what the plus side is for them of us getting sober (especially if they lose a drinking buddy or time with the house to themselves in the process!!) Try not to listen to her words of sabotage!

This is maybe the time that it's worth doing some work on your sobriety plan. People on here will be happy to make suggestions, but only you can do this. And those early weeks and months are tough. You're fighting an addiction to cunning, baffling alcohol, and also trying to learn how to Live Sober as well.

My personal suggestion would be to join a support group (AA or Al Anon, or similar) so you've got somewhere to go. People to see, and a sense of purpose. Sure, it might not seem as exciting as happy hour at the moment while you're heads still in thrill-seeker mode, but that does pass. It DOES get easier. I don't suppose anyone told you that this was going to be easy. It isn't. But it WILL be worth it.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Get out of your chair. Turn off the TV. You are sober. You can go do anything. Get creative. Did you ever have a hobby? Go do that again. Don't have a hobby? Start one. If you don't like that go do something else. Something you can do with your wife.

Anybody can sit and drink. How interesting is that?

I heard this on Sesame Street (yes, I love it. I even learned to count to 17.)

What I heard. just a question they threw out there to get the kids to think about:

"What do you do that makes you interesting?"

Here's an interesting thing. If you do things, that makes you interesting. If you don't, you aren't. Go be interesting. Interesting is great. People love it. You will too.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by bluhend View Post
hi ... I went through HELL the first couple weeks, then everything started getting and feeling better, the strongest urges in the weekly cycle, Friday after work, Saturdays, Sundays have been getting weaker and everything was starting to feel like "ok, I can do this, I'll be better off just not drinking the rest of my life" ... well, for some reason, now, things are getting worse again, I just got home from work and I want to go to happy hour, I want to drink like everyone else I know, I want to have fun, I don't want to miss out, it's really hard right now ... I feel like enough already with this sober stuff, my wife wants to go to happy hour too and here we sit, in front of the TV starting off another completely boring sober weekend, sorry to vent but I feel like if this doesn't turn around for me soon I'm going to do the only thing that will help - let myself start drinking again
Hi and welcome bluhend

I dunno about you but I drank for years. Expecting all that to be sorted and squared away withing 60 days is a really tall order.

I think you need to honestly examine your expectations and ask yourself how realistic they are?

It took 3 months for thing to start to level out for me and for mind and body to start to heal from the abuse I'd given it. I think 33 months is a pretty good deal really.

the other part of the equation is...a lot of people expect they'll stop drinking and life will suddenly become unendingly awesome.

That wasn't the case for me.

I'd been unhappy before I started drinking. That was why I started drinking.
I needed to work on that unhappiness too.

That, truth be told took a lot longer than 3 months - but I was committed to change.

The old way of drinking just doesn't work for me, and I suspect for you too?
D
Old 03-28-2015, 06:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna
Old 03-28-2015, 06:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
What you refer to as boredom is quite natural in early sobriety. You've abandoned your main though self-destructive activity. I didn't know what to do with myself when I first got sober, so I took on a great deal of treatment, believing that things would be, had to be, better for me at some point. Besides, there had become nothing in my life more boring than sitting around drinking, whether alone or with other people.

Boredom is no longer an issue for me, though inactivity sometimes sets me off. I find myself more active in my life than ever before, but it took some time and some hard work to get there.

If your sobriety is contingent upon your not being bored, then you need to do something besides drinking when you're bored.
Thanks ... this really helped me, sometimes to hear what you're going through is normal is surprisingly helpful one thing I hear a lot from longer term sober people is how full their lives are, that gives me hope, right now I'm in that awkward/difficult in between place ...
Old 03-28-2015, 06:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Hi bluhend. I'm sorry you're so discouraged.

You quit for a reason - try to recall how you felt before stopping. Our memories of how it was tend to dim - but if we pick up again we go back to the uncertainty & misery that drinking brings. I felt much better with 3-4 months sober. Can you give it more time? Remember where it takes you!
Hevyn, the gentleness and sweetness in your post really hit me in the chest, "can I give it more time?" that was a very sweet way to say it, I appreciate it, and yes, I did and can and intend to give it more time, that was a rough patch yesterday, I know those urges pass but sometimes in the middle of them it feels like "of COURSE I will drink again, there's NO WAY I am going to quit forever" ... ugh
Old 03-28-2015, 06:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Behan View Post
What helps me when I think like that is to honestly face up to how boring I was when drunk. Same routine, same effect, same glaze over the eyes, same talking nonsense, same hangover and fear, repeat, repeat, boring, boring.

Alcohol and drugs are boring and turn us into insufferable bores.

Well done on 59 days - that is exciting and life affirming!

My best wishes,

B
Thanks, so true, what is it with the rose colored glasses thing? As if drinking was so exciting lol ... I think because it lights up the euphoria centers in the brain (temporarily) we are hard wired to think it's something so great and amazing, takes a certain kind of will power to say "no it's NOT that great"