Notices

A Drunken Life

Old 03-26-2015, 05:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Drunken Life

Anyone else out there who didn't realize how alcohol saturated their life until you tried to quit? For me, drinking has never been a problem because I could drink whenever I wanted. I've never had a time that I can remember when I wanted a drink and couldn't afford to get it, my wife never had a problem with and I never drank while I was working. However, my physical health has suffered and Gout let me unable to work (or even move around freely) for 6 months. So here I am on the road to recovery and realizing how much of my life has been consumed by alcohol and how much of life I have missed sober. Looking back, I missed out on a lot time with family and friends and I can't remember a celebration (wedding, birthday, holiday, etc.) where I was sober. Now, it's hard to attended one without thinking or wanting a drink. I'm having a tough time with this especially in the company of former drinking buddies. Any advice to help with continued sobriety?
Old 03-26-2015, 06:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. yes, alcohol wove it's way into every aspect of my life and I couldn't imagine how I was going to exist without drinking. Parties, weddings, vacations, holidays. I had to relearn how to do all those things sober. I did them as a kid and teen but had forgotten how to live without a liquid crutch.

You can train yourself to do all these things. It takes some time and patience but is well worth it. You may have to drop friends or take a break from them for a bit while you do this. Setting a plan in place for living a sober life is crucial. I found I had to do more than just not drink.

Read around, ask questions, post if you need support. We are here.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome URNotAlone its nice to meet you youl find loads of support here
Old 03-26-2015, 07:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm just getting sober myself. 27 days. Just keep coming back to SR. Welcome.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! Make sobriety your primary goal. You have to want to be sober more than you want to drink. If you can get that, you can stay sober.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've had to avoid some of my drinking pals and have planned activities during the day with others, when it's easier to focus on something other than drinking together. A lot of life changes. Which is more important to you, sober time with your family or drinking time with friends?
Old 03-27-2015, 01:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by URNotAlone1986 View Post
Anyone else out there who didn't realize how alcohol saturated their life until you tried to quit?
For me it was a lot like being a vampire. You know how the vampires in the movies always have to plan ahead? They were powerful but vulnerable, always fearful of being caught out in the sunlight. Wherever they do they need a coffin to rest in, some grave soil from their homeland, etc. Well, that was me with alcohol! If I was traveling I always had to plan ahead; where could I buy booze when I got there? Do the C-stores sell beer or just liquor stores? If there was no way to buy when I got there I needed to take some [grave soil?] with me. Sometimes I turned down chances to take some pretty fun trips because there was no way to buy booze along the way and no feasible way to carry enough with me.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For me it took some time to rewire my thinking to get to the point of "I don't drink" and it finally became normal in situations when I'm around alcohol. In general, I don't spend a lot of time around alcohol....I'm in and then out.....listening and watching to people get loaded isn't my idea of how I want to spend my time. Keep that thought in mind about how much time you wasted being drunk and the reality that you can't get it back. Stay strong...it is worth it!
Old 03-28-2015, 09:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum URNotAlone!!
Old 03-31-2015, 06:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Welcome to SR. yes, alcohol wove it's way into every aspect of my life and I couldn't imagine how I was going to exist without drinking. Parties, weddings, vacations, holidays. I had to relearn how to do all those things sober. I did them as a kid and teen but had forgotten how to live without a liquid crutch.

You can train yourself to do all these things. It takes some time and patience but is well worth it. You may have to drop friends or take a break from them for a bit while you do this. Setting a plan in place for living a sober life is crucial. I found I had to do more than just not drink.

Read around, ask questions, post if you need support. We are here.
Thank you so much. That's very helpful. I have a pretty decent support system & friends who respect my choice even though I miss them terribly sometimes. My best friend (who is my wife) who I spend more time with than anyone doesn't drink so that's added bonus. lol!
Old 03-31-2015, 06:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by marcusflowers View Post
I'm just getting sober myself. 27 days. Just keep coming back to SR. Welcome.
Thanks, My Friend & CONGRATS!!!
Old 03-31-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome! Make sobriety your primary goal. You have to want to be sober more than you want to drink. If you can get that, you can stay sober.
Thanks! I feel as though I am there because not taking a drink is more important to me than not. I know that because the only think standing between me and having one is my determination not to.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BernieE View Post
I've had to avoid some of my drinking pals and have planned activities during the day with others, when it's easier to focus on something other than drinking together. A lot of life changes. Which is more important to you, sober time with your family or drinking time with friends?
Definitely sober time with family.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus View Post
For me it was a lot like being a vampire. You know how the vampires in the movies always have to plan ahead? They were powerful but vulnerable, always fearful of being caught out in the sunlight. Wherever they do they need a coffin to rest in, some grave soil from their homeland, etc. Well, that was me with alcohol! If I was traveling I always had to plan ahead; where could I buy booze when I got there? Do the C-stores sell beer or just liquor stores? If there was no way to buy when I got there I needed to take some [grave soil?] with me. Sometimes I turned down chances to take some pretty fun trips because there was no way to buy booze along the way and no feasible way to carry enough with me.
Wow! I see a lot of me in there. I too turned down trips because I couldn't drink on them or there would be no way of getting any. I also had to have my "grave soil". But, I have decided its more important for me to live the rest of my life sober than to exist drunk.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberclover View Post
For me it took some time to rewire my thinking to get to the point of "I don't drink" and it finally became normal in situations when I'm around alcohol. In general, I don't spend a lot of time around alcohol....I'm in and then out.....listening and watching to people get loaded isn't my idea of how I want to spend my time. Keep that thought in mind about how much time you wasted being drunk and the reality that you can't get it back. Stay strong...it is worth it!
I'm at "I Don't Drink" now, but the hardest part of getting there was telling myself "You're An Alcoholic". I stay away from all events where drinks is going to be involved.