Notices

90 days & still struggling

Old 03-26-2015, 04:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Chances

90 days & still struggling

I once thought that after a month or 2 sober I wouldn't crave a beer much at all. 3 months later I usually want or crave a beer more often than ever. I'm plagued with disinterest, struggle to get motivated and question myself as to what is the point.
I didn't expect a walk into the park after drinking 6 - 10 beers a day for 20 years but this is.
I don't know whether to look for a medication to end the constant craving **** or if light beer is the best solution. I do know however that 3 months of this rubbish is sufficient so something will be changing.

I don't know why I'm writing this dribble. I imagine cause I'm running out of puff I'm hoping for a magical answer but I doubt it will come. I'm certainly not interested in reading a book so last days I suppose. My initial promise to myself was 1 month which changed to 3 months as a new years resolution so 5 days to go and we'll see.

Sorry if you just wasted 2 minutes of your life reading that. I have neither advance or encouragement to share unfortunately. Good luck all
Old 03-26-2015, 04:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing.

I think we both know what the outcome would be if you go back to beer. Why not keep going and figure things out sober? There has to be more in life than drinking beer to make something out of it? yes?

good luck on your journey!
Old 03-26-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Chancesah

have you done anything else different with your life than just not drinking?

I found my old life remninded me a lot about drinking cos thats what my old life was about.

I had to do some thinking about changing my routines, changing some of my social activities and friends and finding support for those moments when the cravings were bad.

Don;t get discouraged - 90 days is awesome, but maybe this unease you feel is a sign to move on to phase two - building a sober life you can be happy in?

D
Old 03-26-2015, 05:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and congratulations on your 90 days.

After my drinking days I found I needed to get honest with myself about my drinking AND accept the fact that I cannot drink in safety one day at a time in a row.

Getting sober and staying sober is an accomplishment for an alcoholic. To stay that way we need to work on sobriety and recovery. There is an expression at AA “if we don’t change the person who was drinking we will drink again.”
Change means to become and act on the things we drank about, volumes have been written about them but it requires ACTION on our part. It might be anger, fears, ego, feeling less than, loneliness, resentments and many other triggers. For many this may seem overwhelming but is manageable a bit at a time. This is what AA is about and shows us how with the help of members who understand.

BE WELL
Old 03-26-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

With the spring, cravings have been popping up for me as well since the reasons I crave have changed (nice weather). You may be going through what I've been going through.

While cravings pop up even at 4 months, but am much happier sober and the cravings are much less than what they were in early sobriety. You've done a lot of hard work to get to where you're at. There must be reasons you decided to quit beyond it being new year's. I really hope you change your mind.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by ChancesAh View Post
I don't know why I'm writing this dribble. I imagine cause I'm running out of puff I'm hoping for a magical answer but I doubt it will come.
Puff? Smoking pot?

Maybe that has something to do with not being able to reap the benefits of sobriety.

Clean and sober is the perspective you need.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on 90 days alcohol free chances i agree with D
Old 03-26-2015, 06:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by ChancesAh View Post
My initial promise to myself was 1 month which changed to 3 months as a new years resolution so 5 days to go and we'll see.
Your struggle with intense cravings should say something about your problem and if it might be solved by never drinking again. Or does that thought strike fear in your heart?

Your addiction knows you set a time limit. It's stirring. It's making you think this sobriety kick stinks. "Go back to the beer," it says. But your addiction is not telling you that going back means going back to all the trouble that brought you here in the first place.